Shocking treatment: Coles cashier's demand left cancer patient feeling ‘violated’ at checkout

Tony Jones, a 39-year-old Queensland resident and cancer patient, was left feeling 'violated' and 'like a criminal' after a distressing incident at his local Coles supermarket.

Mr Jones, who has been battling bowel cancer, was asked to lift his shirt at the self-serve checkout by a staff member who suspected him of shoplifting.

Mr Jones' battle with bowel cancer has left him with a large hernia and a stoma, a surgically created opening in the abdomen that allows bowel movements.

To hide his hernia, Jones wears shirts that are three to four sizes larger than his usual size.

However, during a recent shopping trip to Coles, a staff member mistook his hernia for concealed stolen goods and asked him to lift his shirt in front of other customers.

compressed-shutterstock_1504420667 (1).jpeg
Tony Jones was suspected of theft in a Coles store. Image source: Shutterstock

Mr Jones described the incident as leaving him feeling violated.

'I have a stoma from bowel cancer a few years ago, had my entire bowel removed and then in late 2022 had a blockage so had to have emergency surgery, after that, I developed a very large hernia,' he explained.

‘Going through Coles self-checkout and as I go to pay, the worker says from across the self-checkout section, “And what about what’s under your shirt?” as she walks up to me—very accusatory tone like she was happy that she had caught me, loud enough that anyone at self-checkout knew,’ he recalled.

'I was shocked but wanted out of there, so just lifted my shirt to show my stoma bag and the hernia,’ Mr Jones admitted.

‘I suppose I could have argued, but I already hate my body, I hate the stoma and stoma bag (I find it disgusting), and the hernia causes a lot of pain, and I detest how I look so just wanted out,’ he confessed.

The Coles worker immediately apologised upon realising her mistake, but the damage was done.

Mr Jones, who worked in retail for over 14 years before his illness, was left feeling humiliated and distressed by the incident. He also expressed his disappointment at the accusatory tone of the staff member and the assumption of guilt.

‘It was quick, but it’s really left me shocked that they can take such an accusatory tone and sound so proud of themselves for it like they were waiting to catch a thief,’ Mr Jones shared.

‘The size of the bulge is very big, you’d have to be a complete moron if you were stealing something and showing something this big under your shirt,’ he added.

‘But having my hernia and, more so, my stoma bag on display for everyone who was looking as she hadn’t said it quietly was embarrassing and, yeah, I feel very weird right now, I guess,’ Mr Jones said.

In response to the incident, Coles offered Mr Jones a $100 gift voucher and an apology from the store manager.

However, he felt that the gesture was insufficient, stating, 'It’s a bit weird of a feeling to have a dollar value put on emotional distress.'

‘Honestly, I wish it would go higher than the store level as even reading the replies (online) to my experience, it seems like Coles themselves seem to have an issue at its core with people speaking about the new (security) gates and such as well,’ Mr Jones continued.

‘Coles seems to be fostering the idea that we are criminals who are guilty until proven innocent.’

When Mr Jones was asked, he said he didn't think the Coles team member in question should be let go. He just hopes other retail workers can learn from what happened.

A Coles spokesperson addressed the incident in a statement, saying, ‘We are disappointed to hear about this customer’s experience and earlier today, we spoke directly to our customer and apologised for this incident.’

‘Coles is committed to creating an inclusive environment for our customers and team members, and apologise again that this didn’t occur on this occasion,’ they added.

Key Takeaways
  • A Coles shopper felt ‘violated’ after being asked to lift his shirt at the checkout, as a staff member suspected him of shoplifting.
  • The customer, who is battling cancer, was wearing an oversized shirt to conceal a hernia and a stoma.
  • The supermarket chain has offered the customer a $100 gift voucher and an apology from the store manager for the embarrassing incident.
  • Coles has expressed disappointment in the incident, stating that their aim is to treat customers with respect and provide courteous service, and they are committed to creating an inclusive environment.

What are your thoughts on this incident, members? Have you or someone you know experienced similar treatment in a retail store? Share your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
Disgusting behavior from the Coles employee.
I know that Coles would be making staff do this type of thing but if you are going to ask a customer to expose themselves even after being told of a medical condition then you had better be prepared for legal action.

I feel very sorry for Mr. Jones, how terrible for him to go through this, sadly the younger members of coles are not taught manners, speak to customers like they are children and give you the, as they say now the stink eye if you call them on the way they speak. If I was accused I would tell this young person a, don't speak to me like that, and b, I have a medical condition call your store manager so we can speak about this quietly and with dignity. I would also write to head office about the incident.

Sorry this had to happen to him, but the staff member was only doing their job! You got an apology, they are not mind readers, and had you explained that to them to start with this would NOT be blown out of all proportion also why make a huge thing about being "violated" etc it was only a simple mistake of the worker just doing their job! Stop sensationalism.

This is such a sad thing to happen to Mr Jones, how embarrassing for him. Why not ask the manager to come and take him aside quietly and ask him. Why, after he told them he had a medical condition, didn't the girl get the manager if she didn't believe him. The training of the staff seems to be lacking empathy and just get the thief at all costs these days. I am sure it happens at Woolies as well.:(

The Cole’s worker should have been fired. It’s about time this kind of person realises they are not Coles, they are servants of Coles and if their Company does not have sufficient security to stop theft then it’s the company’s problem. Good training in respect for the customer should be a pre-requisite for the job. I’m so sorry for this customer and wish him well in his recovery.

Sorry this had to happen to him, but the staff member was only doing their job! You got an apology, they are not mind readers, and had you explained that to them to start with this would NOT be blown out of all proportion also why make a huge thing about being "violated" etc it was only a simple mistake of the worker just doing their job! Stop sensationalism.
I was not there obviously but for someone who works at coles to shout out from the service desk 'what about what is under your shirt' is not doing their job, in SA in the self serve section there is a person who stands there who can help you. If that person thought that this man may be hiding something under his shirt then she/he would of either spoken to him or rang up for the store manager to come and intervene. There is doing your job and there is being a rude and obnoxious person.

I don’t think the staff member should have said anything, she should have called a manager if she was concerned the customer was hiding stuff under his shirt. Where I work we are not allowed to ask any customers to do anything other than bag checks, even if it is obvious they have concealed items on their person. A manager can ask them, usually they take them aside and quietly speak to them.

Coles like other stores are going self serve. They have forced shoppers to do self serve, then intimate we, the shopper, has stolen from them. The gates are like being let out of prison. It is disgraceful. I refuse to use self serv and even with two/three items, I ask for service and have a staff memeber put my purchases through. I really feel for the shopper. I would have just said NO and escalated the issue, but with him having been through such traumatic health issues, it is quite confronting and not always do we have the strength to just say NO. Coles really need to look at their practices. I have switched to Woolies, but will change if they follow the same path. ALDI has installed self serve, so I am reducing my shopping in accordance with their registers. At the moment I would rather pay a little extra and go to IGA

Sadly, this incident isn't uncommon.
Coles, I feel need to teach their staff how to treat people.
I have encountered a flippant attitude many times
$100 gift voucher?.........really.
If the employee wanted to deal with the situation properly, he should have called the store manager and taken the shopper into a more private place.
I would have taken this a lot further.
Because of my dealings with Coles over the years, I now shop at Woolies as the staff seem to have a better attitude

If you're not sure, don't make loud accusations, just quietly approach with common sense, sounds like you've never been ill, it's coming you cold hearted b@#$h and when it does you'll change your tune.

I think Coles needs to look for a new way to train their workers on respect and empathy. Instead of coles against shoppers.

I really feel for this bloke.
I would've ask her to put her glasses on, anybody cañ see there was no reason for her to embarrass and accuse this bloke.
Afterwards no apology, no respect and no empathy.
Training is due for a really big overhaul.
With coles apology, PR person doing the lip service.
Really not happy Jan with coles.

I'll never use a self checkout and I'll never allow a supermarket employee to search my bag.
In Victoria (the dumb state), it is a criminal offence for anyone other than a member of the police to search your bag in an intrusive way. Ask a Wilson security dude who upturned a disabled woman's bag at the local Coles. When I confronted this weakling, he shit himself. He committed an act of common assault!

And the Dandenong police backed me up on this fact.

Coles at Maddington has gates on the self checkout and also on checkouts. My Support worker is always with me but i didnt feel well and I wanted to sit down but could not get out. I was told I had to wait till my groceries were done before being let out. I suffer severe Anxiety and PTSD and EUPD and have alot of problems dealing with crowds. This has happened since my work accident. people like me should be excused as all I wanted to do was sit down nearby and take a medication with my water to help me with my anxiety attacks but NO! These gates should never been introduced as many of us suffer some kind of medical issues. They use Security measures on meat so why not use it on other products to stop the thieves and also bring back HUMAN CHECKOUT OPERATOR!!! I used to be one and I loved serving them when I used to work for Coles. Come on COLES respect people with medical issues etc. You now treat EVERY ONE OF US AS THIEVES.

I feel very sorry for Mr. Jones, how terrible for him to go through this, sadly the younger members of coles are not taught manners, speak to customers like they are children and give you the, as they say now the stink eye if you call them on the way they speak. If I was accused I would tell this young person a, don't speak to me like that, and b, I have a medical condition call your store manager so we can speak about this quietly and with dignity. I would also write to head office about the incident.
Yes I definitely agree Lizzylou I was about to say the same things you have said! I am beginning to think it’s time to change supermarkets ! That poor man !

In Victoria (the dumb state), it is a criminal offence for anyone other than a member of the police to search your bag in an intrusive way. Ask a Wilson security dude who upturned a disabled woman's bag at the local Coles. When I confronted this weakling, he shit himself. He committed an act of common assault!

And the Dandenong police backed me up on this fact.
Well done for sticking up for the lady.

When I leave a shop, I just smile at the staff member and walk out. If a staff member asks to search my bag, I ask politely, "Do you think I've stolen something?". I then walk off as they stand there in silence.