Shocking Scam Alert: Fake Death Announcement of Sunrise Host David Koch Used to Lure Victims into Cryptocurrency Scam!

The internet has brought about countless positive changes in our lives, making communication and information sharing easier than ever before.

However, with the rise of the digital era, we've also seen an increase in scams, fraud, and other malicious online behaviour. It's no secret that our digital space is not always safe and secure.

As a result, many of us feel vulnerable and uneasy navigating this new landscape.
One particularly appalling development is the use of fake celebrity death announcements.

This scam has victimised many people, including Sunrise host, David ‘Kochie’ Koch.

Twitter was abuzz with stunned users last week when it seemed a post had been going around claiming that the TV presenter was rumoured to have passed away.

New-Project22.jpg copy.png
A cryptocurrency scam was promoted using a fake death announcement of David Koch to trick unsuspecting social media users into signing up. Credit: Twitter.

Twitter user @kimberly_ramrez shared a post on social media featuring a black-and-white image of the Sunrise host looking upset.

The post read: 'Although saying goodbye is never easy, we take comfort in knowing that Kochie lived a full and meaningful life, leaving behind a legacy of kindness, warmth and compassion.’

Thankfully, Kochie addressed the post, assuring everyone that he was alive and well.

He also took to Twitter to confirm that despite his absence from Sunrise the previous week, he was present in Adelaide for the AFL's Gather Round event.

It eventually came out that the tweet was actually an advertisement meant to coax Twitter users into signing up for a scam cryptocurrency service in return for a finder’s fee.

Finding out that her account had been hacked, the owner of @kimberly_ramrez, Kimberly Ramirez, said she had no idea that this had been going on, as she had deleted the app from her phone a while ago, forgetting about it.

According to an email notifying her of a login attempt to her account, Kimberly reported that someone from Lake Forest, Illinois, had accessed her account.

The intruder also changed the account's password and proceeded to advertise on Twitter using the account.

‘This a**hole left me a debt of over $1k on ads,’ the frustrated Twitter user said.

The ad wasn't the only one either, with other posts using the same technique to display artificial images of Kochie in a precarious situation, with the text: 'His whole future is now in jeopardy! Is this the end of his business career?'

The advertisements, aimed at individuals in the United States and Australia, had received over 6,000 clicks. Ramirez has since removed the ads.

The advertisements contained links to the website of a Massachusetts-based kitchen remodelling service called kitchensandcountertopsdirect.com.

While some users were redirected to the company's website after clicking the link, others were sent to a phoney ABC News article on MuskNews.net.

The article claimed that Koch had endorsed a cryptocurrency auto-trading program called ‘Immediate Edge’ during an interview with The Project's Waleed Aly.

It's worth noting that no such interview ever took place, and Koch has never endorsed this program.

All links on the MuskNews.net page redirect to a website advertising Immediate Edge.

Social media posts indicate that other individuals have reported similar ads promoting Immediate Edge featuring public figures like Jeremy Clarkson, Piers Morgan, and Justin Trudeau.

Immediate Edge is a fraudulent ‘get rich quick’ scheme. Many people have registered for the program, hoping to see substantial returns.

However, after depositing hundreds or thousands of dollars, they could not withdraw their funds. The internet is replete with complaints from victims of this scam.

Stephan Lindburg, a writer from the cryptocurrency scam monitor website ScamCryptoRobots.com, detailed the tactics used by cryptocurrency scammers.

‘Typically, brokers will use stall tactics by requesting that you resend documents, or they may give a variety of excuses, such as the risk manager being unavailable,’ he explained.

‘In other instances, they may simply ignore your emails, resulting in you being locked out of your trading account.’

Key Takeaways
  • A fake death announcement of Sunrise host David Koch was used to lure victims into a cryptocurrency scam.
  • David Koch confirmed he is alive and well.
  • The scam advertisement led users to a phoney news article claiming Koch endorsed a cryptocurrency auto-trading program called ‘Immediate Edge.’
  • Immediate Edge is a fraudulent 'get rich quick' scheme, and many people have been unable to withdraw their funds after depositing them.

How can this be prevented? The decentralised nature of these scams makes the whole thing all the more difficult.

Even if we ban or blacklist one user or service, other users are out there promoting the same scams – or, worse still, evading the ban.

That's why it's so important to have a backup plan and an awareness of what to do if you think you may be becoming a victim of a crypto scam.

How to Avoid Cryptocurrency Scams.jpg
How to protect yourself from cryptocurrency scams. Credit: Seniors Discount Club.

Stay safe out there, folks! Also, feel free to share this article with your friends and loved ones so they can get informed of this new scheme.

This is not the first time David Koch’s or other celebrities’ images have been used to scam people. So, it’s best to stay on top of these mischievous schemes and avoid clicking on celebrity stories on social media.

Have you ever come across similar ads online? Share your experiences with us in the comments below!

• Angry
Reactions: Ezzy and Shane/#
Sponsored
Koch/Stefanovic/any other influencer(?) dead? They may as well be, for all the notice I take of them. Who cares?

Reactions: Babbie
Stupidly I fell for the Maggie Beer scam last year, the one where she was promoting weight loss capsules. Except it wasn’t the real Maggie Beer and I realised this five minutes after clicking the buy button. I was scammed to the tune of $475 which was instantly taken out of my account. The invoice stated that I’d ordered much more than I had and the thing is the product actually did turn up - shonky labels with no address or contact details. I had already gotten the bank involved but because I had received the goods I now had no recourse. God only knows what was in those capsules.

• Wow
Reactions: terri
Stupidly I fell for the Maggie Beer scam last year, the one where she was promoting weight loss capsules. Except it wasn’t the real Maggie Beer and I realised this five minutes after clicking the buy button. I was scammed to the tune of $475 which was instantly taken out of my account. The invoice stated that I’d ordered much more than I had and the thing is the product actually did turn up - shonky labels with no address or contact details. I had already gotten the bank involved but because I had received the goods I now had no recourse. God only knows what was in those capsules.

The post read: 'Although saying goodbye is never easy, we take comfort in knowing that Kochie lived a full and meaningful life, leaving behind a legacy of kindness, warmth and compassion.’
A clear case of confusing bogus advertising with wishful thinking, if ever there was....

Why are people still not seeing the red flags. I never trust or respond to advertisements these days as I assume they are all scams. If I find one that is interesting, I will try and find the original advertiser and go from there. But I seriously doubt that in this time of multiple scams, that I will be scam free forever. They are getting too cunning.

The internet has brought about countless positive changes in our lives, making communication and information sharing easier than ever before.

However, with the rise of the digital era, we've also seen an increase in scams, fraud, and other malicious online behaviour. It's no secret that our digital space is not always safe and secure.

As a result, many of us feel vulnerable and uneasy navigating this new landscape.
One particularly appalling development is the use of fake celebrity death announcements.

This scam has victimised many people, including Sunrise host, David ‘Kochie’ Koch.

Twitter was abuzz with stunned users last week when it seemed a post had been going around claiming that the TV presenter was rumoured to have passed away.

View attachment 17688
A cryptocurrency scam was promoted using a fake death announcement of David Koch to trick unsuspecting social media users into signing up. Credit: Twitter.

Twitter user @kimberly_ramrez shared a post on social media featuring a black-and-white image of the Sunrise host looking upset.

Thankfully, Kochie addressed the post, assuring everyone that he was alive and well.

He also took to Twitter to confirm that despite his absence from Sunrise the previous week, he was present in Adelaide for the AFL's Gather Round event.

It eventually came out that the tweet was actually an advertisement meant to coax Twitter users into signing up for a scam cryptocurrency service in return for a finder’s fee.

Finding out that her account had been hacked, the owner of @kimberly_ramrez, Kimberly Ramirez, said she had no idea that this had been going on, as she had deleted the app from her phone a while ago, forgetting about it.

According to an email notifying her of a login attempt to her account, Kimberly reported that someone from Lake Forest, Illinois, had accessed her account.

The intruder also changed the account's password and proceeded to advertise on Twitter using the account.

‘This a**hole left me a debt of over $1k on ads,’ the frustrated Twitter user said.

The ad wasn't the only one either, with other posts using the same technique to display artificial images of Kochie in a precarious situation, with the text: 'His whole future is now in jeopardy! Is this the end of his business career?'

The advertisements, aimed at individuals in the United States and Australia, had received over 6,000 clicks. Ramirez has since removed the ads.

The advertisements contained links to the website of a Massachusetts-based kitchen remodelling service called kitchensandcountertopsdirect.com.

While some users were redirected to the company's website after clicking the link, others were sent to a phoney ABC News article on MuskNews.net.

The article claimed that Koch had endorsed a cryptocurrency auto-trading program called ‘Immediate Edge’ during an interview with The Project's Waleed Aly.

It's worth noting that no such interview ever took place, and Koch has never endorsed this program.

All links on the MuskNews.net page redirect to a website advertising Immediate Edge.

Social media posts indicate that other individuals have reported similar ads promoting Immediate Edge featuring public figures like Jeremy Clarkson, Piers Morgan, and Justin Trudeau.

Immediate Edge is a fraudulent ‘get rich quick’ scheme. Many people have registered for the program, hoping to see substantial returns.

However, after depositing hundreds or thousands of dollars, they could not withdraw their funds. The internet is replete with complaints from victims of this scam.

Stephan Lindburg, a writer from the cryptocurrency scam monitor website ScamCryptoRobots.com, detailed the tactics used by cryptocurrency scammers.

‘Typically, brokers will use stall tactics by requesting that you resend documents, or they may give a variety of excuses, such as the risk manager being unavailable,’ he explained.

‘In other instances, they may simply ignore your emails, resulting in you being locked out of your trading account.’

Key Takeaways

• A fake death announcement of Sunrise host David Koch was used to lure victims into a cryptocurrency scam.
  • The scam advertisement led users to a phoney news article claiming Koch endorsed a cryptocurrency auto-trading program called ‘Immediate Edge.’
  • Immediate Edge is a fraudulent 'get rich quick' scheme, and many people have been unable to withdraw their funds after depositing them.

How can this be prevented? The decentralised nature of these scams makes the whole thing all the more difficult.

Even if we ban or blacklist one user or service, other users are out there promoting the same scams – or, worse still, evading the ban.

That's why it's so important to have a backup plan and an awareness of what to do if you think you may be becoming a victim of a crypto scam.

View attachment 17687
How to protect yourself from cryptocurrency scams. Credit: Seniors Discount Club.

Stay safe out there, folks! Also, feel free to share this article with your friends and loved ones so they can get informed of this new scheme.

This is not the first time David Koch’s or other celebrities’ images have been used to scam people. So, it’s best to stay on top of these mischievous schemes and avoid clicking on celebrity stories on social media.

Have you ever come across similar ads online? Share your experiences with us in the comments below!

Using people's names as if they have passed away anyhow I'd be waiting to hear such news on the news on TV 📺 as for Crypto currency wouldn't bothering investing in it not that stupid to fall for this shit as for scammers these forums should be held accountable for lying deceitful scams they allow them on their social media networks

View attachment 17688

Key Takeaways

View attachment 17687

I saw an article online about a young couple who became very rich and are living the high life of money and expensive cars, all due to a cryptocurrency invest. I clicked on it to find out more, and it asked basic questions like name and phone number, but I did not give any other personal details of a bank account or address.
I immediately received a phone call back (silly me gave my correct mobile number), and I replied that I would think about it but not sure. If I did, I would be wanting to start a separate account and not use my existing account. The caller tried to hurry me, saying they get several of these and can only deal with people who are genuine and serious about making money. The starting amount would be $200. Since I said no, I now receive several calls every day from unknown numbers from all over Australia and other countries, including Mobile numbers, but I do not answer them if I don’t recognise the number.
Interesting, some leave Voicemails, accidentally, so I have listened to several background conversations that they don’t know are still recording. Some up to 5 minutes, and some with quite disturbing content.