ALERT: This Aussie unknowingly lost $150,000 in a cruel scam using Kochie's picture

We all know how easy it is to get caught up in social media and online advertisements, and the temptation of offers that seem too good to be true. However, getting involved in these schemes could cost you more than just your money—it could cost you your life savings.

Last week, Sunrise host David ‘Kochie’ Koch warned viewers about suspicious ads that feature his face, and pointed out that these may be scams.

Now, it’s with a heavy heart that we report about how a senior was scammed out of her life savings after falling victim to a fake advertisement.

It was a heart-wrenching experience for Dale Hambrook, 73, from Morley, Western Australia, who lost $150,000 of her savings after being lured in by a false advertisement for a cryptocurrency investment opportunity.

Recalling her ordeal, Mrs Hambrook said that she was contacted via email in June by an unknown sender who encouraged her to take part in a ‘crypto scheme’ that would supposedly help her to boost her finances.

Screenshot_2023-01-16-11-45-49-72_1c337646f29875672b5a61192b9010f9.jpg
A 73-year-old great-grandmother lost her life savings of $150,000 after falling victim to a scam that used Sunrise host David Koch's image. Credit: Instagram/David Koch.

With medical expenses piling up and her daughter unable to assist her due to her own circumstances, the great-grandmother thought this email came at the perfect time.

‘I got an email about Kochie about investing in Bitcoin, and he was doing very well with it . . . I thought it would be a good opportunity to make a few extra dollars so I could have some eye surgery to cover the out-of-pocket,’ she shared.

The email directed her to a link that purportedly ‘explained everything’ regarding her potential investment.

Mrs Hambrook said she signed up for the fake trading scheme after clicking on a link in the email article, which initially asked for a $250 fee.

However, the cost only grew from there. The 73-year-old recalled: 'There was $7500 and the next one was $10,000 and there were a couple of $15,000s and then it just did all that until I said, "I’ve got no more money".'

She didn't realise she was being scammed until it was too late, even though the fees kept going up, she blindly continued to pay them.

The great-grandmother didn't realise something was suspicious until she sought to get some of her money back.

Mrs Hambrook shared: 'As soon as I asked for money the contact stopped.'

The great-grandmother's family said that they have not yet requested a refund from Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Limited (ANZ), and they are aware their chance of recovering the funds is slim.

Mrs Hambrook hopes to prevent others from experiencing the same tragedy as she comes to terms with the possibility that she may never get her money back.

'Don’t be dumb like me, because once it’s gone it’s gone,' she said.

Meanwhile, Trish Blake, WA Commissioner for Consumer Protection, advised Australians to first consider if the website or people they are dealing with might be a fraud before inputting any personal information.

She recommended: 'If it is a scam then step away, do your research. Nothing bad is going to happen in those five seconds if you pause.'

It is also strongly advised that we do our research before engaging in any transactions to avoid falling for these scams. That could be something as simple as Googling the company name and seeing if any reviews come up, or checking out the ACCC’s ScamWatch to see if there is anything online about the company you suspect may be a scam.

Key Takeaways

• A Western Australian great-grandmother was scammed out of $150,000 of her life savings by a fake email claiming Sunrise’s David ‘Kochie’ Koch was an investor in a crypto scheme.
  • The 73-year-old was tricked after receiving an email from an unknown sender that encouraged her to click a link in the article.
  • WA Commissioner for Consumer Protection Trish Blake advises Australians to ask one question before entering their details: 'Could this be a scam?'
  • The great-grandmother wants to stop others going through the same tragedy.

So, there you have it, folks! We recommend checking the SDC Scam Watch page regularly for updates on the latest scams and schemes to protect yourselves from being scammed. We also recommend checking out our free Cyber Safety eBook so you can be more familiar with the basics of these scams.

Stay safe out there!

Sponsored
We all know how easy it is to get caught up in social media and online advertisements, and the temptation of offers that seem too good to be true. However, getting involved in these schemes could cost you more than just your money—it could cost you your life savings.

Last week, Sunrise host David ‘Kochie’ Koch warned viewers about suspicious ads that feature his face, and pointed out that these may be scams.

Now, it’s with a heavy heart that we report about how a senior was scammed out of her life savings after falling victim to a fake advertisement.

It was a heart-wrenching experience for Dale Hambrook, 73, from Morley, Western Australia, who lost $150,000 of her savings after being lured in by a false advertisement for a cryptocurrency investment opportunity.

Recalling her ordeal, Mrs Hambrook said that she was contacted via email in June by an unknown sender who encouraged her to take part in a ‘crypto scheme’ that would supposedly help her to boost her finances.

View attachment 11739
A 73-year-old great-grandmother lost her life savings of $150,000 after falling victim to a scam that used Sunrise host David Koch's image. Credit: Instagram/David Koch.

With medical expenses piling up and her daughter unable to assist her due to her own circumstances, the great-grandmother thought this email came at the perfect time.

‘I got an email about Kochie about investing in Bitcoin, and he was doing very well with it . . . I thought it would be a good opportunity to make a few extra dollars so I could have some eye surgery to cover the out-of-pocket,’ she shared.

The email directed her to a link that purportedly ‘explained everything’ regarding her potential investment.

Mrs Hambrook said she signed up for the fake trading scheme after clicking on a link in the email article, which initially asked for a $250 fee.

However, the cost only grew from there. The 73-year-old recalled: 'There was $7500 and the next one was $10,000 and there were a couple of $15,000s and then it just did all that until I said, "I’ve got no more money".'

She didn't realise she was being scammed until it was too late, even though the fees kept going up, she blindly continued to pay them.

The great-grandmother didn't realise something was suspicious until she sought to get some of her money back.

The great-grandmother's family said that they have not yet requested a refund from Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Limited (ANZ), and they are aware their chance of recovering the funds is slim.

Mrs Hambrook hopes to prevent others from experiencing the same tragedy as she comes to terms with the possibility that she may never get her money back.

Meanwhile, Trish Blake, WA Commissioner for Consumer Protection, advised Australians to first consider if the website or people they are dealing with might be a fraud before inputting any personal information.

She recommended: 'If it is a scam then step away, do your research. Nothing bad is going to happen in those five seconds if you pause.'

It is also strongly advised that we do our research before engaging in any transactions to avoid falling for these scams. That could be something as simple as Googling the company name and seeing if any reviews come up, or checking out the ACCC’s ScamWatch to see if there is anything online about the company you suspect may be a scam.

Key Takeaways

• A Western Australian great-grandmother was scammed out of $150,000 of her life savings by a fake email claiming Sunrise’s David ‘Kochie’ Koch was an investor in a crypto scheme.
  • The 73-year-old was tricked after receiving an email from an unknown sender that encouraged her to click a link in the article.
  • WA Commissioner for Consumer Protection Trish Blake advises Australians to ask one question before entering their details: 'Could this be a scam?'

So, there you have it, folks! We recommend checking the SDC Scam Watch page regularly for updates on the latest scams and schemes to protect yourselves from being scammed. We also recommend checking out our free Cyber Safety eBook so you can be more familiar with the basics of these scams.

Stay safe out there!
When are these people going to learn... this one has been around for so long even the dead should know about it...... Anything with a celebrity face on it as part of the advertising is and Alarm in its self...

There is a few going around supposedly from AGL, very well written, no crap spelling or bad English. Be very careful if you get any e-mails supposedly from AGL. I tried to send them to AGL but couldn't so I just deleted them... *** ALWAYS verify with the original company first.***

View attachment 11739

Key Takeaways

Stay safe out there!
I would have thought that with the amount of anecdotal evidence regarding this scam, the very name of which should send chills up the spine, plus the ridiculous claims of the amounts you can gain. Evidently all that's really needed is a computer and gullibility?

This lady had $150,000, a sizeable amount of money with which to cover out of pocket expenses for eye surgery.
No need to be so greedy chasing so called big returns. How could you be so stupid and keep palming out such large amounts of money.
People are continually getting themselves involved in all sorts of stupid schemes and dreams and then expecting their bank or even the government to pick up the tab for their own greed and stupidity .
Sorry, no pity from me

This lady had $150,000, a sizeable amount of money with which to cover out of pocket expenses for eye surgery.
No need to be so greedy chasing so called big returns. How could you be so stupid and keep palming out such large amounts of money.
People are continually getting themselves involved in all sorts of stupid schemes and dreams and then expecting their bank or even the government to pick up the tab for their own greed and stupidity .
Sorry, no pity from me
Bitcoin in itself is a scam so dont touch it with a bargepole!

It seems hard to believe that in today's climate with scams everywhere, that someone could allow themselves to be scammed in this way. Not sure I have too much sympathy for this person. It was such an obvious scam, not like some that are more sophisticated that would be difficult to detect but this one was so simple.

View attachment 11739

Key Takeaways

Stay safe out there!
this scam has been going for at least 12 months on facebook

Reactions: Joyem and Maurie7
Feel bad for this woman but it all boils down to if it sounds too good to be true then it's a scam also I can't stand koshie so wouldn't trust anything that has his picture on it either
Again, GREED raised its ugly head. If you think you will make a lot of money in a short time then you are motivated by greed! I almost was a victim of one of these scams but had a good bank that worked hard to get my money back. I know now I was motivated by greed like so many others that fall for these scams. Now I am content with what I've got & don't fall for scams anymore.

Bitcoin in itself is a scam so dont touch it with a bargepole!
Bitcoin , and others, are the biggest and most damaging “Pyramid “ schemes ever. They have NO Assets and NO Income. Beware…Beware. Only new Dupes give give them enough “new” money to keep taking and trolling.

View attachment 11739

Key Takeaways

Stay safe out there!
I have seen the particular add myself. It is getting real annoying that the scammers are using famous faces to get their scam going.

Why isn’t the Australian government doing something about this when they are putting it on Telco's to stop the scammers.

Mind you it did not stop data being stolen from Optus

Reactions: Maurie7
I have seen the particular add myself. It is getting real annoying that the scammers are using famous faces to get their scam going.

Why isn’t the Australian government doing something about this when they are putting it on Telco's to stop the scammers.

Mind you it did not stop data being stolen from Optus
And Facebook should be doing more about the scams that are advertised on there.

It seems hard to believe that in today's climate with scams everywhere, that someone could allow themselves to be scammed in this way. Not sure I have too much sympathy for this person. It was such an obvious scam, not like some that are more sophisticated that would be difficult to detect but this one was so simple.
consider her age

View attachment 11739

Key Takeaways

Stay safe out there!
I was scammed of $260,000 in a similar way & yes, too easy to say 'if it sounds too good to be true, it's a scam'.
This just makes YOU feel better that you are superior to us that get scammed.
I wasn't told that it was an easy way to make money; my scammers were quite clear about the risks & downsides of forex trading and had a very convincing website with the ups & downs that occurred, in allegedly real time.
I looked everywhere for information regarding this website being scammers, including ALL the Australian scam watch sites & there was nothing!
So, I'm lucky to be still working and can make up a little in the next 10 years to ensure I have a (much less) secure retirement, however ........
So, please, be KIND as it could happen to you.

I was scammed of $260,000 in a similar way & yes, too easy to say 'if it sounds too good to be true, it's a scam'.
This just makes YOU feel better that you are superior to us that get scammed.
I wasn't told that it was an easy way to make money; my scammers were quite clear about the risks & downsides of forex trading and had a very convincing website with the ups & downs that occurred, in allegedly real time.
I looked everywhere for information regarding this website being scammers, including ALL the Australian scam watch sites & there was nothing!
So, I'm lucky to be still working and can make up a little in the next 10 years to ensure I have a (much less) secure retirement, however ........
So, please, be KIND as it could happen to you.
Ask yourself, when evaluating any offer, "If this offer is as good as it's claimed to be, why is it being offered at all?" In other words, ask "What's in it for THEM?"

Ask yourself, when evaluating any offer, "If this offer is as good as it's claimed to be, why is it being offered at all?"
In other words, ask "What's in it for THEM?"

Why is the David Koch scam adverts appearing on this very website?????

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230119-131143.png
    Screenshot_20230119-131143.png
    262.7 KB · Views: 0