Shocking rideshare rip-off: Aussie woman's 6-minute trip costs $170!

In an age where convenience often trumps all, rideshare apps have become a staple for many Australians looking to navigate the urban sprawl with ease.

However, a recent incident has raised eyebrows and serves as a cautionary tale for those who frequently use these services.

Authorities are investigating the incident, urging the public to be aware of potential scams and to take necessary precautions when booking rides.

A Melbourne woman, Isabella, has advised Australians to stay alert for a rideshare ‘scam’ after she was billed $170 for a six-minute DiDi trip.

Isabella booked a ride for herself and three friends from Richmond to Prahan following the Weeknd's concert at Melbourne's Marvel Stadium on Monday night.

On Tuesday morning, she received a message from the rideshare company stating that she had been charged a $150 ‘severe mess’ cleaning fee.

image (63).jpg
A Melbourne woman cautioned others after being charged $170 for a six-minute DiDi trip, which included a $150 ‘severe mess’ cleaning fee. Credit: Tiktok / @izpop2929

‘Unfortunately, a driver's vehicle was left messy/damaged and required cleaning. Based on the supporting info provided by the driver, a $150 cleaning fee was applied to help get the driver's car clean and back on the road,’ the message stated.

The $150 severe mess fee is charged when there is a significant mess, stain, or spill. However, Isabella claimed that she and her friends had ‘done nothing’ to warrant such a charge.

‘Keep in mind, this is the biggest fee that they could have charged us,’ she said. ‘…We were sober and had no food, no drinks, nothing.’

The initial fare of $19.36, which would have been reasonable for such a short journey, skyrocketed after the fee was included.

Isabella has attempted to contact DiDi via email, phone, and social media apps like Instagram and TikTok, but has not been successful in reaching them.

‘I have tried the entire day to get this appealed, but the app is horrible. It doesn't let me choose a specific reasoning. It just has FAQs,’ she lamented.

‘I've even gone so far as to find people on LinkedIn that work for DiDi and text them.’

Isabella mentioned that her friend overheard the driver mocking them during the ride.

‘My friend speaks Hindi, and he heard him say that we were idiots and stuff in the car on the phone while he was driving,’ she claimed. ‘Please like, share, and be careful with DiDi.’

This incident has sparked a conversation among Australians about the trustworthiness of rideshare services.

Several others have come forward with similar stories, suggesting that this might not be an isolated case but a potential scam that users should be wary of.

‘I literally had the exact thing happen to me, it was the most infuriating thing! On top of the $150, they went the wrong route, too, adding $25 to our $75 trip,’ one commenter shared.

‘This is why I think all DiDi need internal cameras for our safety and theirs. Dashcams facing both ways should be mandatory,’ another wrote.

‘Dispute it with your bank. They will have to prove the damage, which they obviously can't, and it will be an easy, although frustrating, win,’ a third advised.

As of now, the rideshare company has yet to respond publicly.

As concerns about rideshare scams grow, another incident has surfaced, highlighting the ongoing issues passengers face with ride-hailing services.

A recent report involving an Uber ride has left a passenger astounded over a cleaning fee linked to a so-called backseat ‘mess’.

This alarming trend raises questions about the practices of rideshare companies and the need for greater transparency and accountability in their charging policies.
Key Takeaways
  • A Melbourne woman warned others after being charged $170 for a six-minute trip on the DiDi rideshare app, which included a $150 ‘severe mess’ cleaning fee.
  • The woman, Isabella, and her friends insist they left no mess that would justify the hefty cleaning fee and struggled to appeal the charge through the app's limited support options.
  • Customers and social media users shared similar experiences, suggesting a potential scam and calling for internal cameras in DiDi vehicles for both driver and passenger safety.
  • Efforts were made to contact DiDi to comment on the incident, highlighting the need for clearer guidelines and evidence when imposing extra charges on rideshare users.
We would love to hear from you about your experiences with rideshare apps. Have you ever encountered unexpected fees? How did you resolve them? Share your stories in the comments below, and let's help each other stay informed and safe while using these modern conveniences.

Sponsored
I don't use cards to pay for anything.

There are some stores I have walked out of when the salesperson has informed of a no cash policy.

A while ago, we were told to make ATM withdrawals on Tuesdays. I'm still doing it. Is this still a thing or has everyone given up?

Everyone has a camera in the pockets these days.
Following an incident in Brisbane a couple of years ago, my granddaughter now has her phone ready to snap and takes a photo of where she was sitting when she gets out. The owner of the car is not going to take off while the back door is still open.
If Didi are charging for cleaning, they need to provide proof it needed cleaning.
How many are being scammed.

Everyone has a camera in the pockets these days.
Following an incident in Brisbane a couple of years ago, my granddaughter now has her phone ready to snap and takes a photo of where she was sitting when she gets out. The owner of the car is not going to take off while the back door is still open.
If Didi are charging for cleaning, they need to provide proof it needed cleaning.
How many are being scammed.
Great idea and so easy to protect yourself this way.

I don't use cards to pay for anything.

There are some stores I have walked out of when the salesperson has informed of a no cash policy.

A while ago, we were told to make ATM withdrawals on Tuesdays. I'm still doing it. Is this still a thing or has everyone given up?
Vast majority of people have moved on from that nonsense

To each his own.

Cash. Use it or lose it.

Those who have moved on will obviously contribute to the stats used by banks and government to justify reduced cash circulation.

And seniors like me can just go to hell.
There has been ZERO talk from the government of cash removal, the only people talking about it are the nutters who think the government is out to get them. Paranoid delusions.

Reactions: Jo Piper3 and Gaena
Same with rentals! Twelve years ago while moving out after over 8 yrs of renting a townhouse, the then 3rd landlord INSISTED on taking $500 from the bond for cleaning, even when I told him I was quite capable of doing it myself.

Every year, when the owner came from Sydney to inspect his property, he thanked me profusely for looking after it so well (considering it was a pigstye when I moved in). I left it ten times cleaner than I had received it!

I eventually had to get the RTA to inform the landlord what he was doing was illegal, especially if not stipulated in the lease!
It appears, that the money was pocketed and then the property rented out for the next tenant to clean. :mad::mad::mad:

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: Nantes and Kayer02
There has been ZERO talk from the government of cash removal, the only people talking about it are the nutters who think the government is out to get them. Paranoid delusions.
As I said. To each his own.

Kindly refrain from name calling. I am of the opinion that cash circulation is on the decline.

You deem me a 'nutter', you also say I have 'paranoid delusions'.

There must be a basis for aggression shown to strangers who disagree with you. How dare they.

Surely you don't expect Albonese to admit to such a thing with an election not too far off do you?

Reactions: Nantes and Annna
The company must have a photo or video to have sent out a billing…I mean they’d have to know in order to have an address, be it home , email or text…..wouldn’t they…If the lady is adamant that the ‘mess’ was none of her doing, couldn’t she have requested a copy of their proof that it was her party and not someone else’s. I thought that all ‘hired’ cars had to have inside cameras for the safety of both the driver and passengers……:unsure:

I would consider taking a photo of the inside of the car before and after the trip. This measure would provide evidence for disputing any mess allegations from the ride share company and or the driver.

Reactions: magpie1