Shocking police assault underscores urgent need for aged care reform

Content Warning: This article contains graphic descriptions and imagery of a violent attack against the elderly. Reader discretion is advised.

The Police are often our first point of contact in emergencies, providing reassurance and assistance when needed.

However, misunderstandings arise in some instances, leading to unintended consequences that undermine trust and security.

The distressing incident involving the alleged assault of 92-year-old Ronald Hodge by New South Wales police officers sparked a conversation about the state of aged care in Australia, particularly for those dealing with dementia.

The case, which left an elderly man with a broken arm and a family grappling with the consequences, shows the urgent need for reform in how we care for our most vulnerable citizens.

Ronald Hodge's son, Bruce Hodge, bravely came forward to share the harrowing details of his father's experience and its toll on his family.

The elder, Mr Hodge, was hospitalised following a confrontation with police and has since recovered from his physical injuries.

1718847099039.png
Ronald Hodge was hospitalised after being confronted by police, who had responded to a call from his wife, who suffered from dementia. Credit: iStock

Still, the incident left him ‘disabled for about a month after’ but noted ‘the mental effect has been more significant.’

Meanwhile, Ronald’s wife of 70 years, Patricia, has dementia and has been moved to a nursing home, leaving him to face the loneliness of living at home without her.

‘That's the biggest thing now is the separation and the confusion,’ Bruce said.

‘There's a degree of confusion from him as to what happened and who is to blame, given his age.’

‘It's very unfortunate because it has affected the relationship he now has with my mother.’

Ronald and Patricia Hodge are parents to three children, grandparents to seven, and great-grandparents to five.

According to Bruce, Mrs Hodge, aged 90, started experiencing dementia symptoms around two years ago.

Her condition progressively worsened over the past year. Despite this, the couple continues to reside at home, providing mutual care and support for each other.

Bruce Hodge, a prominent surgeon at Port Macquarie Hospital, mentioned that his mother experiences paranoia. Approximately a year ago, she contacted the police due to her condition.

‘At that time, the difference was that police did come… and there was a degree of aggression from my mother towards police, but they responded very well,’ he said.

‘She did have a pair of scissors in her hand, but they calmly took them off her…they communicated with us… they arranged an ambulance to have her transferred to a hospital.’

After being allowed to return home with her husband, Mrs Hodge received prescribed medication to alleviate her dementia symptoms.

Earlier this year, on 21 January, Mrs Hodge dialled emergency services due to a domestic violence incident.

Two officers, a senior constable and a constable, promptly arrived at their residence on Campbell Street just after 8:45 pm.

Bruce mentioned that his mother contacted him shortly after calling the police and remained on the line throughout the officers' visit.

Due to legal restrictions, we cannot disclose the specific details of their conversation.

‘An elderly man sitting in a chair is not a threat to anybody,’ Bruce explained.

He recounted his frantic attempts to inform the officers about his mother's dementia but was unable to reach them through triple-0 and didn't know their originating police station.

During his efforts to contact them, the officers proceeded to arrest his father, Ronald Hodge.

Ronald sustained injuries during the arrest and was promptly transported to Campbelltown Hospital. He received treatment for a fractured right elbow and extensive bruising on his head and arms.

Notably, Ronald was never charged with any offence.

Bruce acknowledged the ‘unfortunate’ circumstances surrounding his father's experience but emphasised that he views the incident as isolated. He believed that police officers ‘are doing a very difficult job’.

‘In these circumstances, an elderly man sitting in a chair is not a threat to anybody,’ he said.

‘In these circumstances, we are relying on how people react individually to see if they're going to apply what they've been taught, and I think it's sad that this wasn't done.’

‘You have to think, is this action I'm going to take reasonable? I don't think it was appropriate in this case….but that will be born out in the court case.’

After an internal investigation spanning several months, two officers from the South West Metropolitan Region were charged with assault causing actual bodily harm.

Additionally, the constable faces an additional charge of assault.

Bruce emphasised his desire for his father's case to inspire reforms within the aged care and mental health systems, which he perceives as ‘overloaded’.

‘The biggest issue (my parents) had was accessing the system,’ he said.

‘We need to be able to have better access for people to be able to be assessed and a system that is streamlined and provides adequate feedback to those who need to get the care, that's where we're lacking at the moment.’

‘We've been talking about this for a long time in government, but that's all we've been doing is talking about it…We haven't actually seen substantial movement.’

1718847675602.png
Reforms in aged care and mental health services were demanded by Bruce Hodge following an alleged assault on his father, Ronald Hodge, Credit: Unsplash

Bruce noted that elderly individuals, such as his parents, often hesitate to seek assistance and encounter prolonged wait times when they do.

‘That makes it even more difficult, that's the area we need to change is how we get people into it,’ he explained.

Following the officers' charges, NSW Police Commissioner Karen Webb addressed the media in a press conference. She stated that the internal investigation into Ronald Hodge's arrest commenced the day after the police visited the residence.

‘It's obviously a complex matter when you have someone elderly, someone who has mental decline through dementia, or through something else, that can actually articulate any concerns to police properly,’ she said.

This incident occurred less than a year after the death of 95-year-old great-grandmother Clare Nowland, who passed away in hospital a week after allegedly being tasered by a NSW Police officer at her nursing home in Cooma.

Mrs Nowland had been holding a knife during the encounter with police and suffered a skull fracture after falling in May of the previous year.

Senior Constable Kristian White was charged with multiple offences linked to her death, including manslaughter and recklessly causing grievous bodily harm.

Commissioner Webb stated last week, in response to Ronald Hodge's injuries, that she has confidence in officers handling [domestic violence] calls the ‘majority of the time’.

‘If there are occasions that we have concerns about the way we respond, then we will investigate like we've done in this matter.’ she emphasised.

She underscored the importance of assuring residents that they can rely on the state's police force.

‘We respond to thousands and thousands of calls, every week and every year, in NSW. And most of the time, we get it right—almost all of the time, we respond to victims in a very caring, empathetic manner.’ she added.

‘But if we have concerns, as an executive, as a leadership, that officers haven't responded appropriately, then we will investigate.’

One officer is scheduled to appear at Campbelltown Local Court on July 30th, while the other will appear on August 6th.

In another incident involving violence against the elderly, a grandmother in Girrawheen, Western Australia, fell victim to a vicious attack by three men impersonating police officers in her own home.

The perpetrators used a fake police badge to deceive her and her husband, subjecting them to a brutal 30-minute ordeal. For more details on this shocking incident, click here.
Key Takeaways
  • Bruce Hodge, the son of 92-year-old Ronald Hodge, calls for reform in aged care and mental health services after his father was allegedly assaulted by NSW police officers.
  • Ronald Hodge was hospitalised with a broken arm and bruises after a confrontation with police, who were responding to a call from his wife, who suffered from dementia.
  • After a months-long internal investigation, two officers have been charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm; one is also facing an additional charge of assault.
  • NSW Police Commissioner Karen Webb emphasised the complexity of responding to incidents involving elderly people with mental decline and reassured residents that they can trust the police.
Have you or your loved ones faced challenges in accessing aged care or mental health services? Share your experiences and thoughts in the comments below. Your input is always important.

Sponsored
I bet the police won't want to do their duty & come to your house next time they are called after the charges against the previous officers.

The police do have a difficult job.
It is hard to get the full story when one person has dementia issues. We learnt this when my mother in law was suffering.
As the family had promised they would never put her into aged care (a promise they should never have made in hindsight).
They were taking it in turns to stay with her two weeks at a time.
The door had to be locked to prevent her from wandering off
She would ring the police and tell them she was being held prisoner, being mistreated, thought a bruise on her arm was caused by her daughter etc. She actually knocked it on cabinet when several of us were present.
The police would come, it's hard for them to judge exactly what's going on.
Also people with dementia, although looking frail can be extremely strong and quite violent themselves when they are scared and confused.
A very difficult situation.

Typical gutless pigs who shirk the task when the going gets tough. The less of a threat the oinks are faced with, the greater the force exerted on the alleged offender. When you call them for a potentially serious situation, they take 26 HOURS to investigate when they are 10 minutes away.

Don't worry....I've been on the receiving end of such police brutality when completely unable to defend myself.

It is really sad to see this happen. Many more elderly will end up with dementia and this could easily happen again. Police need to be encouraged to educate themselves about dementia, how it affects people and those who care for them. Lately it seems they just jump in with the maximum force and don't seem to be able to assess the situation. We seem to be living in a state of fear and it takes over in these types of situations when, in fact, those called to help should have the knowledge to deal with these issues. We can just all be hopeful things will change and also that we don't end up in that situation

I am fed up to the back teeth with the behaviour of cops these days. When growing up an uncle, head of NSW Crown Prosecutors, told us that police were only permitted to shoot the LEGS and the offender would be at least slowed if not stopped. These days it's "shoot to kill" no matter what the offender has in their hands, their age or the state of their mind. It seems to me it's kill at all cost and these pricks literally get away scot free with MURDER.

The answer may lay in better training for Police Officers in such cases as those highlighted above. But training is only the first step in such an important matter. This must be followed up with REFRESHER COURSES just as FIRST AID needs refresher courses.

If these were young officers who attended they may have been impatient with this gent to the point they used excessive force thus causing his injuries. This is by no means an excuse for causing injuries as was acknowledged by POLICE COMMISSIONER KAREN WEBB by taking action the day after the incident.

@ gamiry, years ago shooting at the legs may have been an option. My training in a Prison Riot Squad was to shoot at the biggest mass, the body. I believe a Police Officer should use a Taser first & a firearm as a last resort. A well trained Officer using a baton against a knife has a good chance of disarming an attacker given the reach with a batton. A well aimed blow can hurt, even if this means breaking a few bones.

I don’t see why any violence or force would/ should need to be used against any older person, man or woman, unless they had a gun. Even someone with a knife should be able to be easily disarmed by police If they have been trained properly. Part of the problem is fear, even police would fear for their safety if confronted by anyone with a weapon. How they deal with it depends on their level of fear and how well they have been trained to respond in these situations.

The answer may lay in better training for Police Officers in such cases as those highlighted above. But training is only the first step in such an important matter. This must be followed up with REFRESHER COURSES just as FIRST AID needs refresher courses.

If these were young officers who attended they may have been impatient with this gent to the point they used excessive force thus causing his injuries. This is by no means an excuse for causing injuries as was acknowledged by POLICE COMMISSIONER KAREN WEBB by taking action the day after the incident.

@ gamiry, years ago shooting at the legs may have been an option. My training in a Prison Riot Squad was to shoot at the biggest mass, the body. I believe a Police Officer should use a Taser first & a firearm as a last resort. A well trained Officer using a baton against a knife has a good chance of disarming an attacker given the reach with a batton. A well aimed blow can hurt, even if this means breaking a few bones.
thank you. I also worked with offenders but have never seen the need for deadly force and wonder how many innocents with maybe a knife have been killed by gun happy cops.

I am fed up to the back teeth with the behaviour of cops these days. When growing up an uncle, head of NSW Crown Prosecutors, told us that police were only permitted to shoot the LEGS and the offender would be at least slowed if not stopped. These days it's "shoot to kill" no matter what the offender has in their hands, their age or the state of their mind. It seems to me it's kill at all cost and these pricks literally get away scot free with MURDER.
Obviously do not get away with murder. These police are going through a court case. Any other job the boss would be held responsible for lack of training

Reactions: natalielocket
The police do have a difficult job.
It is hard to get the full story when one person has dementia issues. We learnt this when my mother in law was suffering.
As the family had promised they would never put her into aged care (a promise they should never have made in hindsight).
They were taking it in turns to stay with her two weeks at a time.
The door had to be locked to prevent her from wandering off
She would ring the police and tell them she was being held prisoner, being mistreated, thought a bruise on her arm was caused by her daughter etc. She actually knocked it on cabinet when several of us were present.
The police would come, it's hard for them to judge exactly what's going on.
Also people with dementia, although looking frail can be extremely strong and quite violent themselves when they are scared and confused.
A very difficult situation.
So true. And yes unfortunately the Family should not have made that promise. But then you have to make sure that the Nursing Home has trained staff to deal with Dementia.

Reactions: Ezzy
Typical gutless pigs who shirk the task when the going gets tough. The less of a threat the oinks are faced with, the greater the force exerted on the alleged offender. When you call them for a potentially serious situation, they take 26 HOURS to investigate when they are 10 minutes away.

Don't worry....I've been on the receiving end of such police brutality when completely unable to defend myself.
AS a young teen I suffered Police brutality as it is called today, back then it was referred to as a deserved clip around the ear, still does not make it right. I have been threatened worse & subject to twice being 'set up' by Queensland Police & WA Police. As zero respect was given me or my friends of the time, we in return gave the Police none & like Veggiepatch we referred to them as 'pigs', but we were young teenagers NOT adults who learnt better. I know there are those in the Force who abuse their 'power', but it is also one of those thankless (rarely praised for their efforts) low paid careers that very few people are willing to do. We need the Police & they need better educating in aspects of their jobs. I don't not wish to get into a tit for tat over this Post, I merely reply with my own experiences & opinion. Have a happy & healthy life Veggiepatch, with never a need for Police assistance.

Policing is a job that attracts thugs. A well run country weeds them out. Not much in australia is well run so many institutions have fallen into disrepute. I personally would not trust a police person until I have a chance to assess the character myself. Why are assessments not done before dubious types are sent out to inflict violence on the public?

American Police certainly display a gung-ho attitude as can be seen in documentaries or for that, even in their movies.

I also saw many trouble makers in the Prison Officers l served with. On a day shift they would rub a prisoner up the wrong way & then finish their shift leaving the problem to the afternoon shift. Strangely most of these were ex-army servicemen.

American Police certainly display a gung-ho attitude as can be seen in documentaries or for that, even in their movies.

I also saw many trouble makers in the Prison Officers l served with. On a day shift they would rub a prisoner up the wrong way & then finish their shift leaving the problem to the afternoon shift. Strangely most of these were ex-army servicemen.
Spot on. My ex was in the army back in the late 60's and I also worked as a civilian secretary at the barracks in Puckapunyal, Victoria. I know many ex army personnel who later worked in the prison service.
Quite a few if them had been recruit trainers during the Vietnam War. Some of them got a bit too used to throwing their weight around.

Reactions: Ezzy