Shocking news hits food lovers: Dave Myers of Hairy Bikers passes away at 66

In a heartbreaking turn of events, the culinary world has lost one of its most cherished figures.

Dave Myers, one-half of the beloved ‘Hairy Bikers’ duo, has passed away at the age of 66.

Known for his hearty recipes and jovial personality, Myers' death has left a void in the hearts of food enthusiasts worldwide.

Myers, alongside his co-star Si King, rose to fame as the Hairy Bikers more than two decades ago.

The pair, known for their love of motorbikes and food, travelled across the UK, Europe, and beyond, cooking and eating at every stop.

Screenshot 2024-03-01 082320.png
Dave Myers passed away at the age of 66. Image source: @HairyBikers/X (Twitter)

Their unique blend of travel, cooking, and camaraderie made them household names and endeared them to millions of viewers.

The news of Myers' passing was announced by his long-time friend and co-star, Si King, in a heartfelt statement.

'Last night, on 28th February 2024, with Lili, Dave’s wife, his family, close friend David and myself by his side, he passed away peacefully at home,' King shared.

The bond between the two was evident in every episode of their show, and King's words reflected the depth of their friendship.

'My best friend is on a journey that, for now, I can’t follow. I will miss him every day and the bond and friendship we shared over half a lifetime,' he said.

You can read the rest of his statement here:

Myers had been battling cancer since 2022, a struggle he shared openly with his fans. Despite his illness, he continued to pursue his passion for food and travel.

His determination was evident in their latest BBC series, The Hairy Bikers Go West, which began airing just weeks before his death.

In the first episode, Myers expressed his joy at being back on his motorbike, a sentiment that resonated with viewers.

'I wasn’t sure I’d ever get back in the saddle again,' he confessed. 'There was a time I couldn’t balance, I couldn’t walk, I didn’t think I’d be getting on a bike.'

His co-star King praised Myers' courage and determination during the filming of the series.

Screenshot 2024-03-01 082334.png
Si King (left) and Dave Myers (right) had a new series called The Hairy Bikers Go West. Image source: @HairyBikers/X (Twitter)

'This one was particularly special in general because of Dave’s health and his sheer and utter determination and love for what he does,' he said.

Myers' battle with cancer was not only a personal struggle but also took a toll on his loved ones. He spoke candidly about the pressure his diagnosis put on his wife, Lili, and how King stepped in to support them during a particularly challenging week of hospital visits.

Dave Myers’ love for food, travel, and life was infectious, and his legacy will live on through the countless recipes he shared and the joy he brought to his viewers.

Waves of condolences and tributes flood the social media after the news. One person wrote: ‘Rest in peace, Dave Myers. Your irresistible enthusiasm will never be forgotten.’

They added: ‘May the journey ahead be on a road of clouds to a place full of your favourite foods where pain & worry will be no more.’

Another person posted: ‘Such sad news about Dave Myers. One of those golden people who just made everyone happy.’

You can watch an episode of their show here:

Source: Sierra Wells/Youtube​

Key Takeaways
  • Hairy Bikers star Dave Myers has passed away at the age of 66 after battling cancer.
  • His death was announced by co-star Si King, who highlighted their strong bond and friendship.
  • Dave Myers was known for his simple and comforting recipes and his adventures on the Hairy Bikers TV series.
  • Despite his illness, Myers continued to film and express his love for motorbike travel and cooking up until his passing.

As we remember Myers, we are reminded of the importance of pursuing our passions, cherishing our friendships, and living life to the fullest, just as he did.

Our thoughts are with his wife, Lili, their children Iza and Sergiu, and all who knew and loved him.

As King beautifully said, 'I wish you God’s speed, brother; you are and will remain a beacon in this world. See you on the other side. Love ya.'

What are your favourite Dave Myers moments? Share your thoughts and tributes in the comments below.

Sponsored
Loved to watch Hairy Bikers. May Dave rest in eternal peace and comfort be given to his family. Another one taken too soon.

I have never seen The Hairy Bikers but am hoping I can find something about them on the internet.
I was sad to hear that Jonnie Irwin from Escape to the Country, also passed away from a long battle with cancer on the 2nd of February, at age 50, leaving a wife and 2 young children. God bless all.💐

I had no idea that he had been unwell. I always enjoyed the show, humor and obvious friendship both shared. A sad loss. R.I.P mate.

Not that they would refer to themselves as chefs, I loved watching the the Hairy Bikers. Their grey gave them a touch of reality, and their banter was genuine, RIP Dave I'm sure you will be missed worldwide.

Reactions: Ezzy
So sad watch all their shows he put humour and jest into all their shows and cooked so well, bloody cancer.

I have never seen The Hairy Bikers but am hoping I can find something about them on the internet.
I was sad to hear that Jonnie Irwin from Escape to the Country, also passed away from a long battle with cancer on the 2nd of February, at age 50, leaving a wife and 2 young children. God bless all.💐
I wept many tears through Johnnie's journey. I adored him. He actually had 3 young ones.

We always used to watch "The Hairy Bikers" they were so entertaining. I am saddened to hear Dave has passed away. He will be so missed by all that knew him. Blessings to his family and of course to Si. RIP Dave.

Reactions: Jo Piper3