Shocking 'money-saving' tip slammed as 'unhygienic on several levels’

In the world of budgeting and frugality, there's a fine line between cutting costs and cutting corners on personal hygiene.

A recent post by a mum on a budgeting forum has sparked a fiery debate, with her unconventional 'money-saving' tip leaving many divided and others downright disgusted.

The mum's post, which she opened with a disclaimer acknowledging the varying 'standards' of necessity, suggested that going without underwear could be a significant cost-saver.

‘As a female, choosing to go the “no underwear” route for years now—I want to assure others who have never considered this that it is so comfortable and that I have never gone back,' she wrote.

While she did make an exception for her ‘monthlies’, she also noted that men seem to have no complaints about the underwear-free lifestyle.

compressed-pexels-chuanyu2015-209658-1597650.jpeg
Anonymous mum made a post on social media detailing her ‘budgeting trick’ that involved her going without underwear. Image Source: Pexels / chuanyu2015

Her post aimed to challenge the notion of underwear as a necessity and to propose ditching it from the budget for those looking to save.

The response was swift and strong, with many voicing their concerns over the hygiene implications of such a practice.

‘'No, no, please wear underwear. That’s just nasty,’ one member replied.

Others pointed out practical considerations, such as the need to wash clothes like jeans less often if underwear is worn, and the hygiene issues that can arise during hot weather.

Some even argued that the supposed savings were illusory, as going without underwear could lead to more frequent washing of larger clothing items, thus not saving money in the long run.

‘You’re actually wasting more money because you’re having to wash large clothing items more frequently as opposed to tiny pairs of underwear,’ a group member pointed out.

On the financial side, many members mentioned that underwear is not a significant expense, with affordable options readily available at stores like Kmart.

‘Yeah, no. You can buy knickers from Kmart for under two bucks. This isn't budget-saving, and it's unhygienic on several levels,’ one commenter noted.

Comfort was another concern raised, with some stating that they would rather spend a little on underwear than deal with discomfort or skin issues.

‘I have to wear underwear; otherwise, I get a sweat rash. I’d rather spend $20 on undies that’ll last years than tons on Sudocrem,’ shared one person.

Despite the overwhelming criticism, some supported the idea, emphasising personal choice and comfort.

‘I’m all for doing what works for you! So embrace that no underwear life, girl, as long as you’re happy!’ a supportive member commented.

The discussion even turned towards the liberating aspect of going commando, with some admitting they enjoyed the occasional freedom from undergarments.

‘It's being spontaneous and a little cheeky! Literally,’ one member chimed in.

The original poster stood by her suggestion, stating, ‘My post was designed to be for someone whose life could be entirely changed by this one simple freedom-seeking change. I'm ignoring the haters who don’t choose it.’

Shocked by this no-underwear budgeting trick? Maybe it's time to update your own underwear collection.

Check out this revolutionary, sustainable, and leak-proof underwear for women.
Key Takeaways
  • An anonymous mum shared her unconventional budgeting hack of going underwear-free on a budgeting group, sparking controversy and mixed reactions from the community.
  • She defended her choice, citing comfort and financial savings, but made exceptions during her menstrual cycle.
  • Many group members criticised the practice as unhygienic, suggesting it could lead to more frequent washing of clothes and additional expenses.
  • Despite some support from others who choose to go without underwear, most of the responses highlighted hygiene concerns and questioned the financial benefit of this uncommon budgeting tip.
Where do you stand on this controversial budgeting hack? Is it a step too far in the pursuit of saving money, or is it a personal choice that others shouldn't judge? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
You've got to do what you've got to do in this day of escalating prices....

Each to their own, depends what sort of outer clothes she wears, wouldn’t be a good look with skimpy shorts or dresses, skirts. I don’t see much difference to no underwear and some of the barely there underwear worn by a lot of people these days.

Reactions: Littleboy8
wearing no undies is a personal choice, I’m unsure if your saving much.
unhygienic?..well I can’t see any issues, after all hygiene is about cleanliness, and a tiny piece of material covering a private area doesn‘t make you any cleaner.. it’s not going to stop leakage, or sweating, no undies, no rashes…probably more hygenic, to just leave things to nature.

i remember when hubby was doing the laundry, when our daughters still lived at home, he came out with an item of clothing, and asked me what it was..(it was one of our daughters itty bitty g-string), he thought it may have been some sort of sling shot. and after I told him what it was, he asked what does it cover..my answer..not much.

we still laugh when we see these items.

Wouldn't want to be wearing no undies with an upset stomach & not being able to make the toilet in time! Bet you'd wish you were wearing undies then. They do serve more than one purpose, don't they?

What is all the fuss about? I have known several women to go "undiless" over the years. As far as the wearing of undies being hygienic, the opposite actually applies. Most underwear fabrics trap moisture (as sweat), contributing to the growth of bacteria in a environment with little air flow. Regular showering/bathing also goes a long way to maintain personal hygiene.

Or you can be like a girl I once knew. When asked what she did "for a crust" (as in for work), she replied that she didn't change her undies for a month!

What is all the fuss about? I have known several women to go "undiless" over the years. As far as the wearing of undies being hygienic, the opposite actually applies. Most underwear fabrics trap moisture (as sweat), contributing to the growth of bacteria in a environment with little air flow. Regular showering/bathing also goes a long way to maintain personal hygiene.

Or you can be like a girl I once knew. When asked what she did "for a crust" (as in for work), she replied that she didn't change her undies for a month!
A radio station here in W.A. had a radio call of "NO UNDIE MUNDIE".

I don’t wear undies at home only if I go to the doctors or shopping. Then whip them off again as soon as I get home. I hate them.🤣

Reactions: Veggiepatch
It would actually make her expense more because she would have to wash all the shorts, trousers, jeans every time she wore them, I don't because I wear UNDIES and I can wear them a few times before I HAVE to wash them

Reactions: Ezzy
Hygiene is very important. As a 60 year old I find that there are times That my privates NEED to BREATHE. In summer and a skirt or dress I feel comfortable enough to go without underwear. However in winter or with jeans and/or pants I personally use underwear.So to me it’s a personal choice. And Hygiene is just using logic. So is SAVING MONEY. At our age, one would think we would know what to do. Nessa

Reactions: Ezzy and Littleboy8