Shocking home security footage exposes the disturbing rise in break-ins across Australia

The tranquillity of Australian homes is under threat, as chilling security footage reveals a disturbing rise in home invasions.

The unsettling reality has been captured on home security cameras, with the footage shared on social media serving as a stark reminder of the importance of home security.

Melbourne media personality Jacqui Felgate recently shared a video on social media, sent to her by a listener, that has sent shivers down the spines of many Australians.

The footage showed a man, his face concealed and hands gloved, stealthily approaching a home's front door.

SDC 5.png
A disturbing rise in break-ins has emphasised the importance of having home security. Image source: Jacqui Felgate.

Upon finding it locked, he quickly went back into the shadows.

This unsettling incident occurred in Doreen, Northeast of Melbourne's CBD, at the eerie hour of 1:38 am.

Felgate's post has sparked a flood of comments from locals who have shared their own harrowing experiences.

One follower recounted a recent break-in attempt while she was asleep with her newborn with her three-year-old in another room.

'Someone tried to break into our house like this last week at 5 am,' they wrote.

'Thank god my partner was awake in the lounge. So terrifying.'

Another shared: 'This happened to us twice last year in our previous apartment building. We were watching TV late at night in our living room and heard someone trying to check if our door was unlocked.'

'We were upstairs watching TV, and someone opened our front door. Luckily, our dog went crazy and scared them off,' a third commented.

A fourth shared that her Melbourne apartment building was targeted three times in a span of a year.

The Australian Bureau of Statistics' (ABS) latest data paints a grim picture, showing a decade-high increase in home break-ins.

The 2021-22 financial year saw 194,100 households experiencing an intrusion, the highest number since 2012, when 186,800 homes were robbed.

Head of Crime and Data Statistics at the ABS, Will Milne, said that rates have fallen to a historic low of 116,700 during the height of COVID-19 in 2020-21.

'Property was stolen in around two-thirds of break-ins—65 per cent—with personal items like handbags, jewellery or clothing most often taken,' Milne said.

Insurer National Roads and Motorists' Association (NRMA) has also reportedly received more than 2300 claims for home break-ins, with the most common items stolen being bikes, jewellery, car keys, mobile phones, and cash.

'We see a surge in home burglaries over the summer holidays as more people are away from their homes travelling or visiting family and friends,' Natalie Major, NRMS Insurance Executive Manager of Claims, said.

'Thieves are always on the lookout for small items in the home that can be easily grabbed and resold. Bikes and keys are the most targeted item during a home burglary.'

'It’s best to keep these valuables secured indoors and out of sight, away from windows.'

The rise in home invasions has led to a boom in the home security industry.

Affordable home security and doorbell cameras are becoming increasingly popular, with about 40 per cent of households having some form of video system installed, according to NRMA research.

Brands like Eufy, Ring, Google, Wyze, and Arlo are leading the market, providing homeowners with an extra layer of security.

However, the onus of home security doesn't solely lie on technology.

Simple measures like locking doors and windows, installing alarms, and having someone look after your house when you're away can significantly reduce the risk of break-ins.
Key Takeaways
  • Home security footage shared on social media revealed an increase in home invasions across Australia.
  • The footage showed a man attempting to enter a home, which highlighted the importance of locking doors and securing properties.
  • An increase in home security systems, such as cameras and alarms, is noted, with approximately 40 per cent of households having some form of video surveillance.
  • Insurance companies stress the importance of taking simple security steps to protect homes and recommend households review their insurance coverage.
Have you had a close call with a home invasion? What security measures do you have in place? Share your experiences and tips in the comments below.

Sponsored
Burglaries and other social disorder issues are a result of poverty in many cases. So Australians, do you want to pay adequate income taxes to pay for adequate social (public) housing and health care and indeed employment and provision of services such as public transport systems and education, or do you want to end up in a country in the mess it is in the UK and ultimately Papua New Guinea?

Your choice! You have chosen badly since Gough Whitlam got the boot, so maybe I should invest in bars on my windows and insane barking dogs?

Vote-catching tax cuts happen quickly; the consequent death of public services and social support takes longer, but is inevitable

Burglaries and other social disorder issues are a result of poverty in many cases. So Australians, do you want to pay adequate income taxes to pay for adequate social (public) housing and health care and indeed employment and provision of services such as public transport systems and education, or do you want to end up in a country in the mess it is in the UK and ultimately Papua New Guinea?

Your choice! You have chosen badly since Gough Whitlam got the boot, so maybe I should invest in bars on my windows and insane barking dogs?

Vote-catching tax cuts happen quickly; the consequent death of public services and social support takes longer, but is inevitable
We are already amongst the highest taxed countries.
The highest tax rate in USA is 37%,ours is 45%.
What we need are politicians who use our taxes more wisely, not higher taxes.
Maybe they could look at cutting their lurks and perks. It appears pollies go into politics these days mainly to line their own pockets and set themselves
up with cushy retirements.

Low lifes do this sort of thing because either they're too lazy to work for a living and find it easier to steal off other people or they're just out and out criminals !! 🙄🤬🤬🤬

Too many people are imported in Australia, thanks to the Labor government. These people come here, have no job, etc. They move our Australians to live in cars and on the streets. TOO many people, millions of them enter Australia, and they can't do the work and refuse to stay longer than the first pay they get at their job. If you go to any city in Australia, it looks and feels like you entered another 3rd world country. You hardly see a white and/or Aboriginal person. Its just Indians, Asians and Middle Eastern people. I hope that everyone who supports Labor, gets a big fat pain their @sses. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Last edited:
Yes; blame immigrants, low-lifes and dole-bludgers, and whinge about taxes.

That's the true-blue Australian way. Waltzing Matilda exemplifies the mentality of this country; a swaggie (low-life dole-bludger) nicks (thief) a sheep and is hounded to death by the squatter, assisted by the police, whose sheep it was .

45% is presently the top income tax -rate. Why not make it 60%? That's what Maggie Thatcher had it in 1979.

• Wow
Reactions: Gsr and Veggiepatch

That's the true-blue Australian way. Waltzing Matilda exemplifies the mentality of this country; a swaggie (low-life dole-bludger) nicks (thief) a sheep and is hounded to death by the squatter, assisted by the police, whose sheep it was .

45% is presently the top income tax -rate. Why not make it 60%? That's what Maggie Thatcher had it in 1979.
Boy you seem to have a big chip on your shoulder about Australia.
Perhaps you should consider moving to some other country where you can pay more tax.

Strangely enough, at about 9.30 pm last night, I had some lowlife try to enter through the back door of the boarding house where I live on the pretence of "looking for somewhere to live". Accompanied by some drug f**ked bushpig, I informed him the sign out the front has a contact number and to try that during business hours.

Then he had the balls to ask if he could come in and look around. Veggie went to DEFCON-2, ready for some fun! They turned and got off the property quick smart.

So much for a bit of Friday night exercise. 😞

Last edited:

It was Whitlam

It was Whitlam who started Australia going downhill with crawling to the Chinese and stared the closing of Australian companies ,also took commonwealth of Australian 🇦🇺 Bank notes and tried to change Australia into a republic nothing to br proud of . Why should Aussies pay more tax , they pay enough now. People need to stand on their own 2 feet and not expect handouts from others who work hard to get what they have, enough of this ,if you want something work for the same as we all do and stop the poor me attitude,tired of hearing this crap. My family worked hard to get what we have and others should do the same.

I disagree. It is not poverty, it is a case of relative deprivation, generational refusal to work, drug and alcohol addiction, and a gimme mindset. I am so sick of seeing on our local social media people arriving in my area, then providing a list of all the household appliances and furniture they require and expect it to be donated. It is also a societal breakdown where people who have not been parented properly have children and do not know how to parent. I object to your comment regarding paying income taxes, my partner and I have always paid over 45% of what we earn in income tax, then we have GST, rates, etc. added on. Those of us who have the ability to be large contributors to this country are the ones being stolen from and ripped off.

What's the bet you have Woolies in your managed superannuation fund! Your "Waltzing Matilda" analogy can take a flying Tango out the door....never to be seen again.

Enjoy your July the 4th, Thanksgiving and Halloween.

Turkey! :mad:

Reactions: Wet
We are already amongst the highest taxed countries.
The highest tax rate in USA is 37%,ours is 45%.
What we need are politicians who use our taxes more wisely, not higher taxes.
Maybe they could look at cutting their lurks and perks. It appears pollies go into politics these days mainly to line their own pockets and set themselves
up with cushy retirements.
I’m of the same opinion…..I mean, perish the thought that they might have to give up some of their perks, in order to make things even a little bit better for their tax payers………it’s a real cushy job that they’ve set themselves up for isn’t it!!