Shocking family betrayal: Son scams his own dad out of $150k in Centrelink pension payments

Here at the Seniors Discount Club, we frequently share uplifting stories of acts of kindness and love within families, but today we have a rather distressing incident to report involving an outrageous family betrayal.

In a shocking and convoluted scheme that has left us all perplexed, a Melbourne man named Peter Michael Baird scammed his very own father out of over $150,000 in Centrelink payments – money that his father relied upon through his age pension payments.

This story serves as an unsettling reminder that scams can come from anyone, even those we trust the most – such as our own family members.

Screen Shot 2023-05-03 at 1.48.04 pm.png
This is a shocking tale of betrayal by a son. Credit: Shutterstock

Baird, aged 50, began deceiving his unsuspecting father back in 2012, when his dad turned to him for assistance in unlocking a frozen bank account.

His father must have thought, 'Who better to trust than my own flesh and blood?'

Little did he know that instead of helping his dad, Peter Baird applied for two loans in his father's name, amounting to over $77,000. It only got worse as Baird contacted Centrelink to have his father's age pension payments redirected to his personal bank account.

From June 2013 to May 2020, Baird deceitfully pocketed a whopping $152,423.33 in payments that should have gone to his father.

Whenever his father inquired about his locked bank account, the scheming son would claim he was working with the ombudsman and government officials to resolve the problem.

To make the deception more convincing, Peter Baird went so far as to impersonate various politicians and government personnel. His father received frequent calls and emails that appeared to be from Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews, then-Finance Minister Robin Scott, MP Kim Wells, and the Victorian Ombudsman themselves.

The truth finally came to light when, after contacting these offices directly, the pensioner discovered there was no record of any correspondence on his behalf.

His son's web of lies unravelled in May 2020 when he was jailed for a separate series of deceptions. In court, Baird pleaded guilty to obtaining financial advantage and property by deception.

On Tuesday, the Victorian County Court sentenced the scamming son to four years in jail for his reprehensible actions.

Judge Frank Gucciardo labelled Baird's actions as 'defying decency' and in violation of 'fundamental principles of trust and familial care, respect and responsibility’.

Key Takeaways
  • A Melbourne man has been jailed for conning his father out of more than $150,000 through an elaborate scheme.
  • The son pretended to be various government officials and redirected his father's age pension payments to his personal bank account.
  • The father had to work part-time and rely on financial support from his partner due to the financial strain.
  • The son was sentenced to four years in jail and will be eligible for parole after three years and three months in custody.

Baird's father was forced to seek part-time work and rely on financial support from his partner – causing undue stress, as noted by Judge Gucciardo.

Although Baird showed some remorse and had no drug, alcohol or gambling problems, the judge stated his prospects for rehabilitation seemed uncertain and the severe conduct merited punishment.

The son will be eligible for parole after serving three years and three months in custody.

Our hearts go out to the betrayed father who suffered greatly due to his son's greed and deception.

Remember, dear members, scams are everywhere, and we must always remain vigilant. It's a devastating reality, but even those we trust most can potentially betray us.

This news is hard to believe and we would like to hear your thoughts on this in the comments section below.

Sponsored
I never could understand the cruelty of Adult children scamming their own parents.
In the last 25 years, on the news and current Affairs programs both on Comercial and ABC TV reports come to light where Parents have trusted their children with EPOA (Enduring Power of Attorney) and find themselves homeless because the kids sell their house for their own benefits.
Others have done similiar to what this guy has done and have walked free while the parents have had to suffer due the cruel and thoughtless actions of their kids.
I have no evidence to prove the following but I do think it is mostly drug related activity.
How can these Adult Kids walk in public, belong to Christian Denominations and hold their heads up in a society of so-called honest people?
The most amazing thing about many of these parents, particularly mothers, still love those kids.
Why?

Gullible father. If, after a couple of months my account was still frozen, I would have sought assistance from the bank! Also, it's unbelievable that the father did not contact Centrelink over the missing pension payments and, at the very least, get a different bank account for the payments to be deposited in.

Ditto to all the above, it is not that simple to get someone's pension payment's paid to a different account.
$150,000, what did the father live on for that 7 years the pension is not that generous that you can skim that much off the top.
Were the father and his partner living in moo-moo land all this time.
All sounds a bit suss to me.

Here at the Seniors Discount Club, we frequently share uplifting stories of acts of kindness and love within families, but today we have a rather distressing incident to report involving an outrageous family betrayal.

In a shocking and convoluted scheme that has left us all perplexed, a Melbourne man named Peter Michael Baird scammed his very own father out of over $150,000 in Centrelink payments – money that his father relied upon through his age pension payments.

This story serves as an unsettling reminder that scams can come from anyone, even those we trust the most – such as our own family members.

View attachment 18994

Baird, aged 50, began deceiving his unsuspecting father back in 2012, when his dad turned to him for assistance in unlocking a frozen bank account.

His father must have thought, 'Who better to trust than my own flesh and blood?'

Little did he know that instead of helping his dad, Peter Baird applied for two loans in his father's name, amounting to over $77,000. It only got worse as Baird contacted Centrelink to have his father's age pension payments redirected to his personal bank account.

From June 2013 to May 2020, Baird deceitfully pocketed a whopping $152,423.33 in payments that should have gone to his father.

Whenever his father inquired about his locked bank account, the scheming son would claim he was working with the ombudsman and government officials to resolve the problem.

To make the deception more convincing, Peter Baird went so far as to impersonate various politicians and government personnel. His father received frequent calls and emails that appeared to be from Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews, then-Finance Minister Robin Scott, MP Kim Wells, and the Victorian Ombudsman themselves.

The truth finally came to light when, after contacting these offices directly, the pensioner discovered there was no record of any correspondence on his behalf.

His son's web of lies unravelled in May 2020 when he was jailed for a separate series of deceptions. In court, Baird pleaded guilty to obtaining financial advantage and property by deception.

On Tuesday, the Victorian County Court sentenced the scamming son to four years in jail for his reprehensible actions.

Judge Frank Gucciardo labelled Baird's actions as 'defying decency' and in violation of 'fundamental principles of trust and familial care, respect and responsibility’.

Key Takeaways

• A Melbourne man has been jailed for conning his father out of more than $150,000 through an elaborate scheme.
  • The son pretended to be various government officials and redirected his father's age pension payments to his personal bank account.
  • The father had to work part-time and rely on financial support from his partner due to the financial strain.
  • The son was sentenced to four years in jail and will be eligible for parole after three years and three months in custody.

Baird's father was forced to seek part-time work and rely on financial support from his partner – causing undue stress, as noted by Judge Gucciardo.

Although Baird showed some remorse and had no drug, alcohol or gambling problems, the judge stated his prospects for rehabilitation seemed uncertain and the severe conduct merited punishment.

The son will be eligible for parole after serving three years and three months in custody.

Our hearts go out to the betrayed father who suffered greatly due to his son's greed and deception.

Remember, dear members, scams are everywhere, and we must always remain vigilant. It's a devastating reality, but even those we trust most can potentially betray us.

This news is hard to believe and we would like to hear your thoughts on this in the comments section below.
There used to be a show called Beauty and the Beast on TV many decades ago. . To this day I remember a segment where a family member had done something similar. One of the panellists was married to a solicitor and to this day I remember her words: "never think a family member will ever do the wrong thing by you". I wondered if she had been told something by her husband at some stage. I took note of what she said and my husband and self are very guarded about our finances and never discuss with family whatsoever. We will never go guarantor for anyone either. If a bank does not consider you good enough for a loan why should we. Have heard of people losing their homes because of defaulting on loan or marriage breakup.

So what did this dad live on? And how could the son get 2 loans that much? Centerlink doesn't give that much of loans and banks will not give you any loans if you don't work and if you work, you have to supply payslips ?
Well said. As a retired Banker there is NO WAY a loan could be obtained under these circumstances.

View attachment 18994

Key Takeaways

What a horrible man who does that to family omg I can’t believe a son would do that to his dad 😡😡😡😡

I agree with the statements above about the father trusting anybody to that extent. But when it comes to our kids we are partially blind to the reality. I am sure most of us would have lent our kids a small amount of money. I know we have "lent" a small amount of money to one of our children with no expectation of getting the money back although it was supposed to be a loan. But then again, we were working full time at that stage of our life and we didn't particularly care about not getting the money back.

View attachment 18994

Key Takeaways

The son should made made to pay the money back with a percentage of his future wages goal time is not enough.

I agree with the statements above about the father trusting anybody to that extent. But when it comes to our kids we are partially blind to the reality. I am sure most of us would have lent our kids a small amount of money. I know we have "lent" a small amount of money to one of our children with no expectation of getting the money back although it was supposed to be a loan. But then again, we were working full time at that stage of our life and we didn't particularly care about not getting the money back.
One of the things that makes you really understand why love is sometimes said to be a blessing and a curse :(

My parents were comfortably off, but my mother always had the saying "never a borrower nor a lender be"
and this went both for my brother and me.
I remember they did lend me $100 once. I went to Surfers Paradise on holidays with a friend and soon realised I didn't have enough money to last. sent my mum a telegram asking to borrow the $100 she did send it along with a telegram saying 'if you do not have enough money, perhaps you should cut your holiday short"
On my return she made me repay my.stepfather back $25/week leaving me with enough money for my fares and board money for 4 weeks.
couldn't go out with friends, etc for all this time
Certainly taught me a tough lesson. Never borrow money and learn to live within your means.
I've always been grateful to her for this and many other life lessons she taught me . I should have taught my kids the same, was a bit too easy going.

View attachment 18994

Key Takeaways

Bloody parasite you lowlife scum to your own father you need a long jail sentence 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Reactions: Ezzy