Shocking confession! 74-year-old Victorian man scams $180,000 from unsuspecting women on dating apps

Finding love or companionship can be a challenging task, and for many members of our community, dipping their toes into the world of online dating is a reasonable solution. However, the internet can be a breeding ground for scams and deceitful individuals, as a recent story out of Victoria demonstrates.

Cedric 'Rick' McLeod, a 74-year-old Victorian man, has admitted to scamming an astonishing $180,000 from four women he met on dating apps. McLeod pleaded guilty to four charges—three of obtaining financial advantage by deception and one of obtaining property by deception, according to the Victorian County Court.

1684984558234.png
On Tuesday, Rick McLeod entered a guilty plea for four charges. Source: Photo by cottonbro studio

Sadly, these unsuspecting women had their trust betrayed when they believed McLeod to be a genuine partner or companion. Between 2017 and 2019, McLeod met three of the victims on a dating app and the fourth in a pub, all of them clueless to the scams that would await them.

McLeod's web of deception included an array of false personas, ranging from an investor or financial adviser working with high-profile individuals to a chartered accountant involved with high-end barristers and lawyers. In each situation, McLeod would convince these women that he could provide them with lucrative investment opportunities.

In one case, he told a woman about an investment opportunity that would yield significant returns on her money. She sent him a total of $32,000, only to receive a measly $2,750 in repayments. McLeod similarly scammed another woman, enticing her with the notion of financially investing, resulting in her transferring $80,000—of which none was invested, and he only repaid $2,000 to her in small increments.

The third victim met McLeod at a Carrum Downs pub where he claimed to be a lawyer setting up a brothel and offered her employment as a receptionist. To further his scheme, he told her that he could obtain a discount on her car loan if she provided him with the funds. The woman then transferred $15,200, which McLeod never used to secure a car loan on her behalf. She only received $5,150 in repayments from him.

The fourth woman, also deceived on the dating app Oasis, was led to believe that McLeod would invest her money for her. As their intimate relationship progressed, he not only talked about the prospect of marriage but also convinced her to trust him with her financial affairs. In the end, she sent a total of $55,000, none of which he repaid despite numerous requests.

These women were devastated to discover that McLeod's promises to invest their money were nothing but a sham. 'I have spent a great many nights crying myself to sleep... and wondering how I was so silly to fall for his deception,' one of the victims lamented.

Upon his admission of guilt, the court learned that McLeod had used the money he collected from the fourth woman to settle his own debts. In a startlingly callous statement, when questioned about his alleged intentions to marry the woman, McLeod answered, 'Nah, that's b*******.'

McLeod's sentencing will occur at a later date.

Tips for Safe Online Dating for Seniors​

Seniors can face heightened risks when they enter the world of online dating. With the right advice, however, there are steps you can take to make sure that your online dating experience is safe and rewarding.

Step 1: Be Mindful of Personal Information Sharing​

First, always be aware of what personal information you are sharing online. Be wary of anyone who asks too many personal questions, especially those related to financial details. Don’t trust anyone who asks for money or suggests that you transfer money for them. Remember, if something feels suspicious, trust your gut and investigate further.

Step 2: Beware of Potential Scammers​

It is also important to be aware of potential scammers. If someone’s profile is too good to be true, it probably is. Be cautious of messaging with someone who seems evasive or just looking to chat rather than share photos or video chat. Do a quick background check of the specific person too, using online search engines or a social media account.

Step 3: Arrange Safe and Public Meetings​

Finally, always arrange to meet in public when meeting someone from an online dating site. If possible, arrange to have a friend or family member close by, if possible, and be sure to let them know the location and time of your date.

Key Takeaways
  • A 74-year-old Victorian man named Cedric 'Rick' McLeod has admitted to scamming $180,000 from four women he was ‘dating’.
  • McLeod pleaded guilty to four charges — three of obtaining financial advantage by deception and one of obtaining property by deception.
  • McLeod deceived the women by presenting himself as an investor, financial advisor, chartered accountant, or lawyer and convinced them to invest money with him.
  • The court heard the emotional impact of the scams on the victims, with one victim stating she spent many nights crying and wondering how she fell for the deception. McLeod is yet to be sentenced.
While stories like McLeod's are disheartening and in no way a representation of every interaction on dating apps, we urge our members to exercise caution when exploring these platforms. It's crucial to remain aware of the potential risks and to approach online relationships with both optimism and a healthy degree of scepticism.

Take these stories as a gentle reminder to put the care and safety of yourself and your hard-earned savings first.

Members, we would love to hear your perspectives on this story. Have any of you encountered a similar experience? Please share your thoughts and experiences in the comment section below.

Sponsored
Finding love or companionship can be a challenging task, and for many members of our community, dipping their toes into the world of online dating is a reasonable solution. However, the internet can be a breeding ground for scams and deceitful individuals, as a recent story out of Victoria demonstrates.

Cedric 'Rick' McLeod, a 74-year-old Victorian man, has admitted to scamming an astonishing $180,000 from four women he met on dating apps. McLeod pleaded guilty to four charges—three of obtaining financial advantage by deception and one of obtaining property by deception, according to the Victorian County Court.

View attachment 20653
On Tuesday, Rick McLeod entered a guilty plea for four charges. Source: Photo by cottonbro studio

Sadly, these unsuspecting women had their trust betrayed when they believed McLeod to be a genuine partner or companion. Between 2017 and 2019, McLeod met three of the victims on a dating app and the fourth in a pub, all of them clueless to the scams that would await them.

McLeod's web of deception included an array of false personas, ranging from an investor or financial adviser working with high-profile individuals to a chartered accountant involved with high-end barristers and lawyers. In each situation, McLeod would convince these women that he could provide them with lucrative investment opportunities.

In one case, he told a woman about an investment opportunity that would yield significant returns on her money. She sent him a total of $32,000, only to receive a measly $2,750 in repayments. McLeod similarly scammed another woman, enticing her with the notion of financially investing, resulting in her transferring $80,000—of which none was invested, and he only repaid $2,000 to her in small increments.

The third victim met McLeod at a Carrum Downs pub where he claimed to be a lawyer setting up a brothel and offered her employment as a receptionist. To further his scheme, he told her that he could obtain a discount on her car loan if she provided him with the funds. The woman then transferred $15,200, which McLeod never used to secure a car loan on her behalf. She only received $5,150 in repayments from him.

The fourth woman, also deceived on the dating app Oasis, was led to believe that McLeod would invest her money for her. As their intimate relationship progressed, he not only talked about the prospect of marriage but also convinced her to trust him with her financial affairs. In the end, she sent a total of $55,000, none of which he repaid despite numerous requests.

These women were devastated to discover that McLeod's promises to invest their money were nothing but a sham. 'I have spent a great many nights crying myself to sleep... and wondering how I was so silly to fall for his deception,' one of the victims lamented.

Upon his admission of guilt, the court learned that McLeod had used the money he collected from the fourth woman to settle his own debts. In a startlingly callous statement, when questioned about his alleged intentions to marry the woman, McLeod answered, 'Nah, that's b*******.'

McLeod's sentencing will occur at a later date.

Tips for Safe Online Dating for Seniors​

Seniors can face heightened risks when they enter the world of online dating. With the right advice, however, there are steps you can take to make sure that your online dating experience is safe and rewarding.

Step 1: Be Mindful of Personal Information Sharing​

First, always be aware of what personal information you are sharing online. Be wary of anyone who asks too many personal questions, especially those related to financial details. Don’t trust anyone who asks for money or suggests that you transfer money for them. Remember, if something feels suspicious, trust your gut and investigate further.

Step 2: Beware of Potential Scammers​

It is also important to be aware of potential scammers. If someone’s profile is too good to be true, it probably is. Be cautious of messaging with someone who seems evasive or just looking to chat rather than share photos or video chat. Do a quick background check of the specific person too, using online search engines or a social media account.

Step 3: Arrange Safe and Public Meetings​

Finally, always arrange to meet in public when meeting someone from an online dating site. If possible, arrange to have a friend or family member close by, if possible, and be sure to let them know the location and time of your date.

Key Takeaways

• A 74-year-old Victorian man named Cedric 'Rick' McLeod has admitted to scamming $180,000 from four women he was ‘dating’.
  • McLeod pleaded guilty to four charges — three of obtaining financial advantage by deception and one of obtaining property by deception.
  • McLeod deceived the women by presenting himself as an investor, financial advisor, chartered accountant, or lawyer and convinced them to invest money with him.
  • The court heard the emotional impact of the scams on the victims, with one victim stating she spent many nights crying and wondering how she fell for the deception. McLeod is yet to be sentenced.
While stories like McLeod's are disheartening and in no way a representation of every interaction on dating apps, we urge our members to exercise caution when exploring these platforms. It's crucial to remain aware of the potential risks and to approach online relationships with both optimism and a healthy degree of scepticism.

Take these stories as a gentle reminder to put the care and safety of yourself and your hard-earned savings first.

Members, we would love to hear your perspectives on this story. Have any of you encountered a similar experience? Please share your thoughts and experiences in the comment section below.
naive, stupid, and desperate.

Reactions: Ezzy
If a man asks you for money and wants details of how you survive moneywise - where does your income come from - ditch him fast!!!!
Totally agree, along with do you own your own home. Can I borrow your car? For a first date they state I'll come to your place and make you dinner.

Sorry 'mate', you have the wrong number and differently the wrong 'lady. '

So many foolish women and even gents. Happening all the time and all ages. So gullible.

Ladies and even gent, if that Love Bug ask you for money for $huge amounts, tell them sooner, like right then that they are not the one for you. That it's better that you tell them now and good luck in their future endeavours. But please have your fingers crossed when you tell them those last words. Hang up the phone, or walk them to your door, or if at their obvious rental, walk to their door and keep walking.

It might be someone you have known for about 2-5 years and ask for $1,000 that you know they can pay back. But if it's within a couple of weeks, couple of months. Break it off. They are only after your money and will tell you anything & everything they think you want to hear. Including "But, I love you. You are the one. The love of my life." Some will even tell you that they own a property in another state, in another country. Drive expensive cars. It's probably stolen or they are using another lady's car that they are also seeing. That also happens all the time as well.

I must be lucky for although on scant occasions when I could do with some congenial and intelligent male conversation, I have no need to put my heart and soul into any Internet dating site whatsoever. The concept was originally for the lonely aged and the opportunity for social contact and some have found that someone special, but to me it is a hornet's nest for opportunists of any age! This has been proven since the concept for all ages.

I feel sorry for the victims. All his assets should be sold to recoup as much money for these ladies as possible. He should be put in goal and the key thrown away, if he is let out he will no doubt rip off more people. Nothing but scum.

Perhaps I am too stingy to fall for this but it never ceases to amaze me that people (men and women) do. Another thing to check is a profile picture. You can do a reverse search on the internet to see whether the image has been used elsewhere. Frequently, the image is stolen and used to deceive. The internet is a wonderful thing until it isn't.

It is very sad that people are lonely & vunerable they get preyed on. Yes, I agree sell his assets & Go to Jail

I feel sorry for the victims. All his assets should be sold to recoup as much money for these ladies as possible. He should be put in goal and the key thrown away, if he is let out he will no doubt rip off more people. Nothing but scum.
i have difficulty feeling sorry. forewarned is not something new.