Shocking Behavior: Woman Refuses to Give Up Seat for Elderly Man, Preferring Her Bag Instead - See Why!

In an age where common courtesy and respect seem to be dwindling, an incident on a Melbourne train has left many questioning the state of our societal values. As members of the Seniors Discount Club, we've seen our fair share of changes in etiquette over the years, but this story might just take the cake.

During what was supposed to be a delightful family trip to Melbourne to celebrate the school holidays, a mother from country Victoria witnessed a scene that left her—and likely many of you—disheartened. The joy of introducing her children to the wonders of the big city was marred by an encounter that raises questions about the lessons we're imparting to the younger generation.

compressed-travellers.jpeg
A mum refused to give a senior man a seat as her bag occupied the remaining vacant seat. Image Credit: Shutterstock/Zhukovvvlad

The incident unfolded when an elderly man, with hair as grey as the wisdom he surely possessed, approached a quad of seats on the train. His gentle smile and polite demeanor were met with a cold response from a woman who was seated with her two teenagers. The fourth seat, which should have been available for the gentleman, was occupied by the woman's bag.

When the man, who appeared to be in his early 80s, kindly pointed out that he believed the seat to be his, the woman insisted it was reserved for her husband. However, upon the arrival of the conductor and the revelation of double-booked tickets, it became clear that the woman's husband was not even on the train. Her insistence on keeping the seat for her bag rather than offering it to the elderly man was not only shocking but also a sad commentary on the priorities some hold today.

The conductor eventually resolved the situation, but not without the woman begrudgingly moving her bag and the old man feeling compelled to apologize for the inconvenience. This display of selfishness unfolded before the eyes of three young children, who watched with wide-eyed innocence as the values of compassion and respect were seemingly tossed aside.

It's a scenario that begs us to ask ourselves: When did material possessions start to outweigh human comfort and dignity? Where has our sense of community gone? It's crucial to remember that the actions we take and the behaviors we exhibit serve as lessons to those around us, especially impressionable young minds.

Fortunately, not all hope was lost. The mother's faith in humanity was partially restored when a young woman offered to help her with her pram and suitcase later that day. It's these small acts of kindness that can make a world of difference and remind us that there is still good in the world.

As we reflect on this story, let's consider how we can be the change we wish to see. Whether it's offering a seat to someone in need, helping a stranger with their groceries, or simply greeting someone with a smile, these gestures of goodwill are the threads that weave the fabric of a caring community.
Key Takeaways

• An incident on a Melbourne train involved a woman refusing to give up a seat, which was double-booked, for an elderly man, as she claimed it was reserved for her husband who was not on the train.
  • The woman required the extra seat for her handbag despite the old man having a ticket for that specific seat.
  • The conductor intervened and confirmed the seat was double-booked but ultimately the elderly man was given the seat, while the woman begrudgingly moved her bag.
  • The author reflects on the moral implications of the event and discusses the importance of respect for the elderly and basic humanity, particularly in front of her children.
We invite you to share your thoughts and experiences. Have you encountered similar situations where you've had to stand up for what's right? Or perhaps you've been on the receiving end of a random act of kindness that restored your faith in humanity? Let's open up the conversation and remind each other of the importance of compassion and respect in our daily lives.

Sponsored
Going to school we were taught basic good manners & etiquette which help many of us how to behave in so called polite society. But in this new age of political correctness and equality this now something that is no longer shown, unless your feelings have been hurt.

This country has no one but themselves to blame that these actions happen.

Going to school we were taught basic good manners & etiquette which help many of us how to behave in so called polite society. But in this new age of political correctness and equality this now something that is no longer shown, unless your feelings have been hurt.

This country has no one but themselves to blame that these actions happen.
It's a good thing that most of us oldies don't give a shit about political correctness. This case was shear disrespect, and she should have been fined or put off the train.

I had this once on a crowded tram, she refused I just pick it up and dumped it, can't remember if it was her lap or floor either way, it not on Full Stop. If someone is sitting on a tram, where the seat is to be given, to disable or elderly person, I tell them, politely that they have to give up the seat. I more shy now.

The only mistake made was the request for the seat was put to the wrong occupant.
The man and conductor needed to ask the bag to move, not ask the lady to move the bag. Then when the bag refused to move, throw it off the train. Easy fix.
That would have made two bags thrown off the train.

Preferably while moving at high speed....

My New Year resolution was to do something kind for a stranger every day. When I helped 5 people in a jammed lift including a young girl recently by ringing an emergency number and waited til they were released by management, I then shared with the young girl when they all got out about my resolution. Her very cute response to her mum was “I’m going to try and do that everyday too” and then to me she said “now you can have 5 days off because you helped 5 people.”!

Standards have certainly slipped. As proven by this woman, the people to blame are previous generations. Making your children think they are better than more vulnerable people , so unfortunately she will reap as she sows. If she is lucky to live that long

I don’t understand why people have to be so mean. Moving a bag is no big deal, why make it that way. Is it a power thing or an entitlement issue. All I know is that it feels good to be nice and I wish more people could experience this.

I don’t understand why people have to be so mean. Moving a bag is no big deal, why make it that way. Is it a power thing or an entitlement issue. All I know is that it feels good to be nice and I wish more people could experience this.
I’m with you. Kindness,courtesy,compassion cost nothing. I just don’t understand how she can sit in her seat while someone needed to sit in the one occupied by her bag. This shouldn’t have required thought,the bag should have hit the floor and the gentleman welcomed with a smile. It costs nothing.

Reactions: Ezzy, DLHM and janj
We bought our girls up with the same standards we grew up with. Give up your seat to an older adult whether male or female & pregnant ladies, a courtesy sadly missing in standards of younger people today. I put this down to their upbringing or if in company with like aged people, to peer pressure.

While travelling on a Tram in Adelaide some years ago an elderly gent was standing while teenagers sat less than half a metre from him. Standing up l approached them & reminded them someone should offer their seat to the gent. The only response was from the gent who said, 'That' o.k., l haven't got far to go'. None of the teens offered their seat & exited the Tram before the gent.

What does the word respect mean to younger people or perhaps this is a term they never learned the meaning of from their parents. From what l have seen of modern parenting, some parents try to be a buddy rather than a parent. (I saw this with my daughter & her 3rd son to her 2nd husband. Her hubi let HIS son get away with everything while chastising my daughter's two boys. This led to a child out of control who left High School early, expects everything for nothing & shirks working for a living).

When I as a real youngen on a crowded train with mum, I always had to stand for a lady. One time, a lady who I gave my seat too, offered for me to sit on her lap. That was the only time I was offered a compromise.
It was a good offer which I took on.

• Haha
Reactions: Ezzy and NotNats
That’s not necessarily the reason in every instance. How about some of the “new Australians” who come from countries that have been raised with different ideas of courtesy (or no courtesy at all)?
not an excuse - they now live or holiday here and should have basic knowledge of our laws & customs - We have too when visiting overseas (yes, I know I lot of us also are very rude when we go overseas)

Reactions: Ezzy and DLHM
I've got a walking stick and when I got off the train I headed to the station lift and it turns out it wasn't working so I headed to the stairs and there was a poor lady with a stroller with a baby trying to go up the stairs as well but not one person stopped to help her so I grabbed the footrest and helped her go up as best I could. In my day with no lifts people would automatically help but these days hp doesn't exist.

not an excuse - they now live or holiday here and should have basic knowledge of our laws & customs - We have too when visiting overseas (yes, I know I lot of us also are very rude when we go overseas)
I agree, it’s not an excuse. Unfortunately there are some who come here but have no intention of trying to fit in.