Shocking announcement: Woolworths CEO and Virgin Australia CEO step down

Amidst the ever-changing landscape of corporate leadership, Woolworths and Virgin Australia have recently witnessed notable departures from their executive ranks.

In a surprising turn of events, Woolworths Group CEO Brad Banducci and Virgin Australia CEO Jayne Hrdlicka announced their resignation, sparking intrigue about the future direction of these influential entities.

Banducci's departure, scheduled for September this year, marks the end of an era for Woolworths.

Having been with the company for 13 years, eight of which he spent at the helm, Banducci has been instrumental in shaping the retail giant's trajectory.

1703032486552.jpeg
Woolworths CEO Brad Banducci announced his resignation. Credit: Woolworths Group

Woolworths Group Chair Scott Perkins praised Banducci for his 'outstanding leadership and contribution' to the company.

'Brad has led a remarkable turnaround and transformation of the group,' Perkins said.

'Woolworths Group has been fortunate to have Brad as its leader, and he has indeed helped us to be better together.'

‘The test of any CEO is to leave the business in much better shape than when they started.’

‘On that simple metric, history will judge Brad to have been one of Woolworths Group’s finest leaders.’

Perkins' sentiments were echoed by Banducci himself, who expressed his gratitude for the opportunity to lead the Woolworths team.

'It has been a privilege to be a member of the Woolies team and one I have never taken for granted,' he said.

However, Banducci's tenure has not been without controversy.

Just days before his retirement announcement, he abruptly walked out of a Four Corners interview when questioned about the lack of competition in the Australian grocery market.

The incident has sparked a renewed debate about the dominance of Woolworths and Coles, which together control 65 per cent of the grocery market.

Despite these challenges, Banducci has consistently defended Woolworths' competitive practices, citing the presence of other players like ALDI, Amazon, and independent groceries.

Banducci was pressed further by Grigg, who was getting ready to talk about statements made by former Australian Competition and Consumer Commission Chair Rod Sims.

Banducci cut him off and said, ‘(He’s) retired, by the way. I‘m just saying the world has got much more competitive.’

Banducci admitted, ‘I shouldn't have said that,’ but he ended the conversation when it was brought to his attention that the comments were being recorded.

However, he did come back later to resume responding to questions. You can read more about the story here.

The supermarket duopoly has been under scrutiny for allegedly using its market power to inflate prices and pressure suppliers.

‘The supermarkets know that fruit and vegetables are perishable. If you don’t sell it, it’s worthless,’ National Farmers’ Federation Horticulture Council Spokesman Jeremy Griffith said.

‘And as a result, they can exploit that by offering rock bottom, take-it-or-leave-it prices.’

In the Four Corners episode, leaked emails unveiled that Coles had been engaging in negotiations where suppliers were offered lump sum payments in exchange for agreeing to price increases.

Coles justified its pricing strategy by highlighting that the company's profit margin was 2.6 per cent last year, indicating that for every $100 spent by a customer, Coles generated $2.60 in profit.

Stepping into Banducci's shoes is Amanda Bardwell, who has been announced as the new Managing Director and Chief Executive.

Perkins described Bardwell as a 'proven leader, business builder and modern retailer’.

‘Amanda is highly respected throughout the organisation, and I know, like Brad, will live our purpose and work hard to achieve Woolworths Group’s full potential,’ he said.

Banducci said he was looking forward to working with Bardwell soon.

‘We have a wonderfully talented and passionate team at Woolworths Group, as personified in Amanda Bardwell.’

1708468955676.jpeg
Woolworths CEO Brad Banducci (left) will be replaced by Amanda Bardwell (right). Credit: Woolworths Group

Meanwhile, in the aviation sector, Virgin Australia's CEO, Jayne Hrdlicka, has announced her resignation.

After nearly four years at the helm of the airline, steering it through some of its most challenging times, Hrdlicka has decided it's time to ‘pass the baton on’.

Hrdlicka's tenure at Virgin Australia began in 2020 when the airline was bought out of administration by Bain Capital.

'This is not a decision I have taken lightly, but the last four years have been heavy lifting across the organisation during the toughest of times,' Hrdlicka said in a statement.

'We are in the midst of the next phase of our transformation program, and there is a lot to do and an Initial Public Offering (IPO) to deliver.'

‘The next phase of this journey is another 3-5 years, making now the perfect juncture to begin the process of leadership transition to deliver the next few chapters of what I'm sure will be a significant long-term success story.’

compressed-20201118-GlennHuntPhoto-0449_1.jpeg
Virgin Australia CEO Jayne Hrdlicka resigned from her position. Credit: Virgin Australia Newsroom

Under Hrdlicka's leadership, Virgin Australia returned to profitability for the first time in over a decade.

This was a significant turnaround from the state of the airline when she took over as CEO following its administration.

'Jayne has led Virgin Australia through the most turbulent times of its 20+ year history,' said Chairman Ryan Cotton.

'Her leadership was fundamental to repositioning the airline back to its roots as a value carrier, returning Virgin Australia to profitability for the first time in 11 years.'

‘To do this required a lot of heavy lifting and the rebuild of many parts of our organisation.’

He expressed the company's gratitude and best wishes as she prepares to leave her role.

Hrdlicka will continue to serve as CEO while Virgin Australia conducts a global search for her successor.

The timeline for her departure has not been specified by either Hrdlicka or Virgin Australia.
Key Takeaways
  • Woolworths CEO Brad Banducci has announced his intention to retire, with his last day set for September.
  • Amanda Bardwell has been announced as the new Managing Director and Chief Executive of Woolworths Group.
  • Woolworths and Coles are under scrutiny for their market dominance and the pressure they may exert on suppliers, as highlighted in a recent Four Corners report.
  • The report also revealed the negotiation tactics being used by supermarkets, such as Coles, with allegations of them exchanging price rises with suppliers for lump sum payments.
  • Virgin Australia CEO Jayne Hrdlicka has announced her resignation after a tenure that began in 2020.
  • Hrdlicka cited the completion of 'heavy lifting' and the airline's need for a new leader to oversee the next phase of its transformation as reasons for stepping down.
  • Under her leadership, Virgin Australia returned to profitability for the first time in over a decade following its administration period.
  • Chairman Ryan Cotton commended Hrdlicka's leadership during tough times and credited her with repositioning the airline. Hrdlicka will remain in her role until a successor is found.
What are your thoughts on these sudden leadership changes, members? How do you think this will impact Woolworths’ and Virgin Australia's future? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
Banducci was an amazing success....at the expense of growers, manufacturers and customers.

It was only a matter of time..... one reason not to tie remuneration to profits.....

Oh my goodness! Woolworths leader? Leading into the abyss! What a disaster Australia Day was and Coles are no better expecting the suppliers lower their prices - here's a thought - how about you lower your profit margin down below thousands of percent. I wish we had Aldi. I can't afford to shop at IGA all the time.

'The test of any CEO is to leave the business in much better shape than when they started.’

And the customer with less money to get by on.

Ah, the travails of heavy lifting and repositioning. One could hurt one's back if one were not careful!

Weak as piss his interview on 4 corner's was pathetic had to get help from a Woolworths rep both are gutless inquiries coming and I'm bailing out after screwing over the public 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Does that new CEO know what she's letting herself in for? When will people start having a go at her because of what the company does?

".................... renewed debate about the dominance of Woolworths and Coles, which together control 65 per cent of the grocery market".

It's a shame some UK supermarkets don't want to take a risk and open here, then there'd be proper competition. It's either Woolworth's and Coles that may have stopped this happening or possibly too much Government red tape?

".................... renewed debate about the dominance of Woolworths and Coles, which together control 65 per cent of the grocery market".

It's a shame some UK supermarkets don't want to take a risk and open here, then there'd be proper competition. It's either Woolworth's and Coles that may have stopped this happening or possibly too much Government red tape?
Extended trading hour dunnit. After extended trading hours came in, some3 months later the local butcher (5 minutes walk away from home) shut shop, as did a a nearby weekend corner store. that also did homemade meat pies of good quality. The corner store/dairy next to the butcher's shop hung in doing 12 hours a day, 7 days a week being run by an elderly couple until they could retire. Woolworth also had its claws deep into the wholesale trade, selling to its retail stores and also to the small business competitors who had to buy from the wholesale arm. That was some years ago in the 1990s.

Reactions: Wandiwa
Bailing out when they have have reportedly brought a company to its brink after they have been floundering
seems a bit suspicious. Besides a handsome payout is there a hidden agenda? Are there problems within the companies which haven't been made known or upcoming changes or any number of reasons? WHY is the MAIN QUESTION.

WHAT'S IN IT FOR ME?

Virgin may have returned to profitability, but at expense of the customer. The old Virgin had an excellent service level, but the new one has very little. It must be the only international airline that does not provide hot meals on 5-hour flights [either free or paid for]. When I complained I got a ridiculous PR style answer that they did not do so for safety reasons during possible turbulence, treating their customers as idiots. I was a regular customer of the old Virgin, but now when I cannot afford Qantas, I use Asian airlines, great service.

Reactions: Rob44 and Ezzy
He couldn't give a toss...... he will walk away with a 6 or 7 figure payout.

Virgin may have returned to profitability, but at expense of the customer. The old Virgin had an excellent service level, but the new one has very little. It must be the only international airline that does not provide hot meals on 5-hour flights [either free or paid for]. When I complained I got a ridiculous PR style answer that they did not do so for safety reasons during possible turbulence, treating their customers as idiots. I was a regular customer of the old Virgin, but now when I cannot afford Qantas, I use Asian airlines, great service.
If Virgin Australia are worried about turbulence then it should not permit passengers (sorry, customers) to put anything in the overhead lockers and particular absolutely nothing with hard edges or weighing anything more than 8 ounces.