Shocking act caught on camera: Woman steals from a dying man at the pokies

Recently, closed-circuit television (CCTV) captured a woman committing an appalling act, which can only be described as a betrayal of human decency.

The incident occurred at a local pub where an 80-year-old terminally ill man, Thomas Purtill, was enjoying what should have been a small stroke of good fortune.

Mr Purtill, who had been diagnosed with terminal cancer and given a prognosis of just three to six months to live, decided to try his luck at the pokies on November 27.

Fortune smiled at him, and he won $300. When decided to cash in his winnings, fate took a cruel turn when he suffered a medical episode and collapsed to the floor.

Screenshot 2024-01-12 111126.png
A woman was caught on CCTV cashing in Mr Purtill’s winnings. Source: Queensland Police Service

And the heartless act that followed was captured in clear detail by the security cameras.

Initially, a woman showed a semblance of concern for Mr Purtill as he lay helpless on the ground. She called over the pub staff, seemingly to assist the ailing man.

However, her true intentions became apparent when she noticed Mr Purtill's winning ticket.

Seizing the opportunity, she cashed in the winnings for herself while others were attending to Mr. Purtill.

The elderly man, who had planned a simple day out to get a haircut before returning home, was left without his winnings and in need of medical attention.

'I remember landing on the floor. I think I fell over before I got the ticket into the machine (to cash it in),' Mr Purtill recalled.

When asked what he thought should happen to the woman, he said: ‘I can't really say on TV. It wouldn't be allowed.’

'If you're that desperate... If someone came up to me and said, “You've had a win, can I have $10 to buy a loaf of bread, a bottle of milk for the kids?”, I would have given it to them,’ he added.

The incident left Mr Purtill hospitalised for two days, after which he returned for ongoing cancer treatment.

The local community and police in Caboolture, Queensland—an hour north of Brisbane—are now urging anyone with information about the woman to come forward.

Mr Purtill's call for justice is echoed by many who have heard of this despicable act, with the hope that the perpetrator will be held accountable.

A person asked on social media: ‘How cruel are some human beings. Whatever happened to honesty?’

‘This is just shameful on the part of the woman who stole his money when he was at his weakest moment,’ another added.

Mr Purtill recounted the incident with 7News Brisbane here:

Key Takeaways

• An 80-year-old man with terminal cancer collapsed while cashing in his $300 winnings on the pokies at his local pub in Caboolture.
  • A woman appeared to show concern for the man but then stole his winning ticket and cashed it in for herself.
  • The victim, Thomas Purtill, expressed his disappointment at the woman's actions and said he would have helped her if she’d asked.
  • Police are seeking information about the woman involved in the theft and are asking anyone with knowledge to come forward.

What are your thoughts on this incident, members? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
Recently, closed-circuit television (CCTV) captured a woman committing an appalling act, which can only be described as a betrayal of human decency.

The incident occurred at a local pub where an 80-year-old terminally ill man, Thomas Purtill, was enjoying what should have been a small stroke of good fortune.

Mr Purtill, who had been diagnosed with terminal cancer and given a prognosis of just three to six months to live, decided to try his luck at the pokies on November 27.

Fortune smiled at him, and he won $300. When decided to cash in his winnings, fate took a cruel turn when he suffered a medical episode and collapsed to the floor.

View attachment 39125
A woman was caught on CCTV cashing in Mr Purtill’s winnings. Source: Queensland Police Service

And the heartless act that followed was captured in clear detail by the security cameras.

Initially, a woman showed a semblance of concern for Mr Purtill as he lay helpless on the ground. She called over the pub staff, seemingly to assist the ailing man.

However, her true intentions became apparent when she noticed Mr Purtill's winning ticket.

Seizing the opportunity, she cashed in the winnings for herself while others were attending to Mr. Purtill.

The elderly man, who had planned a simple day out to get a haircut before returning home, was left without his winnings and in need of medical attention.

'I remember landing on the floor. I think I fell over before I got the ticket into the machine (to cash it in),' Mr Purtill recalled.

When asked what he thought should happen to the woman, he said: ‘I can't really say on TV. It wouldn't be allowed.’

'If you're that desperate... If someone came up to me and said, “You've had a win, can I have $10 to buy a loaf of bread, a bottle of milk for the kids?”, I would have given it to them,’ he added.

The incident left Mr Purtill hospitalised for two days, after which he returned for ongoing cancer treatment.

The local community and police in Caboolture, Queensland—an hour north of Brisbane—are now urging anyone with information about the woman to come forward.

Mr Purtill's call for justice is echoed by many who have heard of this despicable act, with the hope that the perpetrator will be held accountable.

A person asked on social media: ‘How cruel are some human beings. Whatever happened to honesty?’

‘This is just shameful on the part of the woman who stole his money when he was at his weakest moment,’ another added.

Key Takeaways

• An 80-year-old man with terminal cancer collapsed while cashing in his $300 winnings on the pokies at his local pub in Caboolture.
  • A woman appeared to show concern for the man but then stole his winning ticket and cashed it in for herself.
  • The victim, Thomas Purtill, expressed his disappointment at the woman's actions and said he would have helped her if she’d asked.
  • Police are seeking information about the woman involved in the theft and are asking anyone with knowledge to come forward.

What are your thoughts on this incident, members? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

HAS THE VENUE PAID THE WINNNGS TO HIM YET

View attachment 39125

Key Takeaways

Bloody scumbag oxygen thieving Bitch 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

View attachment 39125

Key Takeaways

That’s disgusting she should be jailed

'Local Pub in Caboolture' - what is all over the floor? Looks like a congenial place!

You would think that she would have signed into the club or was there no one on the door like I have seen so often. I go sometimes for lunch with friends and people just walk straight through.

just realized it is a pub not a club

The only thing different to any other act thieving is it was recorded. For $300, the venue/pub would most likely get more welcoming publicity than the negativity of the act on their premises.

View attachment 39125

Key Takeaways

these poker machines make over 250 thou a year profit you would honestly think that is the first thing those legalised thieves that own these machines would have done
The players of poker machines are willing victims. Not like getting mugged in broad daylight. Ever see venue staff twisting the arms of patrons?

CONDITION OF ENTRY: Persons entering these premises must donate a minimum of $100.

Reactions: MariaG
The players of poker machines are willing victims. Not like getting mugged in broad daylight. Ever see venue staff twisting the arms of patrons?

CONDITION OF ENTRY: Persons entering these premises must donate a minimum of $100.
Willing victims are you kidding me, a person should be allowed to play a poker machine and be able to cash in their winnings without having it stolen with or without having a medical episode.

Willing victims are you kidding me, a person should be allowed to play a poker machine and be able to cash in their winnings without having it stolen with or without having a medical episode.
Ahh....I was replying to the post made by @bschulze, not the article itself. Selective reading is your friend....comprehension is not.