Shocking $336 glitch on Woolworths receipt leaves shopper speechless—could this happen to you?

What’s worse than a trip to the supermarket after a long, exhausting day? Discovering an unbelievable $336 charge on your receipt for one of the store’s items!

This is exactly what happened to one Australian shopper who recently took to social media to share her incredible, and expensive, grocery story.

In a series of videos, the shopper showed footage of her receipt which proved that the popular packaged dinner item—a Woolworths hot roast chicken which usually retails for $12—had been priced at an unimaginable $336.66.

wool1.png
Woolworths shopper showed the receipt that proves she paid $336 for a roasted chook. Credit: kirby.copper/TikTok

'Woolworths charged me $336 for a roast chicken’, she said.

‘I know it’s RSPCA, but…’

‘Did they put it up at the f***ing Crown Towers before they killed them.’

The caption of the video says ‘GST alone was $33’ and that ‘inflation is getting ridiculous’.

The video garnered several comments from social media users:

‘How did you not realise how much your total was,’ one comment says.

‘I wish I could just pay for groceries and not notice the $336 chook in the store,’ says another comment.

‘Well you paid it without checking!!!’ another user pointed out.

The shopper later explained that she and her husband had done a ‘big shop’ and had lost track of how much they were spending while browsing the store. She said in a later video: ‘I’m just trying to paint the picture as to why there was a $300 roast chicken on my counter last night,’

‘So there I am in Woolworths—hungry, hormonal craving sugar, with no game plan, free balling it.’

‘The best way to describe my brain at that point, is a child with a credit card.’

‘I’m not proud of it. No but that’s just how it was.’

Luckily, Woolworths were incredibly understanding of the mistake and provided the shopper with a full refund. It looks like a computer glitch was responsible for the overcharge. In a later video, the shopper shared: ‘The guys at Woolies were absolute champs, we all had a laugh and I walked away with a free bird,’ she said.

‘Thanks Woolworths, I can still afford to shop with you!’

Screenshot 2023-08-01 153713.png
Woolworths roasted chicken only retails for $12. Credit: kirby.copper/TikTok

But the experience left members of the Seniors Discount Club community feeling a little anxious—could this glitch happen to us? Here’s what to look out for to avoid a mis-scan:

• Always keep an eye on what’s being scanned.

• Try to avoid purely digital self-service checkouts, where the auto-sensing camera might struggle to detect and price differently sized items.

• Don’t forget to always make sure your receipt is accurate before you leave. Double-check the items, costs, and the total.

Finally, if you ever feel something isn’t quite right, always speak to the staff at your local store.

So, members–next time you’re stocking up at the supermarket, make sure to keep an eye on that receipt! Happy shopping!

Watch the video here:

Key Takeaways
  • A Woolworths customer was shocked to discover a $336 charge for a hot roast chicken on her receipt.
  • The customer shared her experience and footage of the receipt showing the overpriced chicken.
  • In a later video, she returned the charged chicken to her local Woolies store and received a refund, along with a free chicken.
  • A computer glitch was responsible for the overcharge. Woolworths encourages any shopper with a purchase query to speak to the service desk at their local store.

Have you encountered a similar scenario in your local supermarket? Share your experiences below!

Sponsored
WHY is this story on social media? it is so obviously an unfortunate mistake that it should be reported to the supermarket service desk. There is no benefit in broadcasting it on social media - except to make somebody feel important perhaps?
Or admit to their own stupidity?

What’s worse than a trip to the supermarket after a long, exhausting day? Discovering an unbelievable $336 charge on your receipt for one of the store’s items!

This is exactly what happened to one Australian shopper who recently took to social media to share her incredible, and expensive, grocery story.

In a series of videos, the shopper showed footage of her receipt which proved that the popular packaged dinner item—a Woolworths hot roast chicken which usually retails for $12—had been priced at an unimaginable $336.66.

View attachment 26458
Woolworths shopper showed the receipt that proves she paid $336 for a roasted chook. Credit: kirby.copper/TikTok

The caption of the video says ‘GST alone was $33’ and that ‘inflation is getting ridiculous’.

‘I wish I could just pay for groceries and not notice the $336 chook in the store,’ says another comment.

The shopper later explained that she and her husband had done a ‘big shop’ and had lost track of how much they were spending while browsing the store. She said in a later video: ‘I’m just trying to paint the picture as to why there was a $300 roast chicken on my counter last night,’

‘So there I am in Woolworths—hungry, hormonal craving sugar, with no game plan, free balling it.’

‘The best way to describe my brain at that point, is a child with a credit card.’

Luckily, Woolworths were incredibly understanding of the mistake and provided the shopper with a full refund. It looks like a computer glitch was responsible for the overcharge. In a later video, the shopper shared: ‘The guys at Woolies were absolute champs, we all had a laugh and I walked away with a free bird,’ she said.

View attachment 26459

But the experience left members of the Seniors Discount Club community feeling a little anxious—could this glitch happen to us? Here’s what to look out for to avoid a mis-scan:

• Try to avoid purely digital self-service checkouts, where the auto-sensing camera might struggle to detect and price differently sized items.

• Don’t forget to always make sure your receipt is accurate before you leave. Double-check the items, costs, and the total.

Finally, if you ever feel something isn’t quite right, always speak to the staff at your local store.

So, members–next time you’re stocking up at the supermarket, make sure to keep an eye on that receipt! Happy shopping!

Watch the video here:

Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths customer was shocked to discover a $336 charge for a hot roast chicken on her receipt.
  • The customer shared her experience and footage of the receipt showing the overpriced chicken.
  • In a later video, she returned the charged chicken to her local Woolies store and received a refund, along with a free chicken.
  • A computer glitch was responsible for the overcharge. Woolworths encourages any shopper with a purchase query to speak to the service desk at their local store.

Have you encountered a similar scenario in your local supermarket? Share your experiences below!

View attachment 26458

View attachment 26459

Watch the video here:

Key Takeaways

My husband used to argue with me because he was always to quick to wheel the trolley full of groceries after paying and instead I wanted to check the receipt. I can tell you that 3 out of 10 times, there was an item that it was wrongly charged... but always in favour of the supermarket. When the scanners were first installed there was a sign at the register that if an item was wrongly priced, you get the item for free. Then years later, they intruduced a loophole: "it was a human error" , therefore you get reinbursed the difference of the wrong price versus the correct price. I got sick of that and one day I said: "if I walk out of this shop with an item that I didn't pay inadvertently, I am a thief. The supermarket 'inadvertently' charges me more than what it is suppose to charge and they call it 'human error'. One day I said, "fine, I am returning the whole shopping I just purchased". And I did. They had to scan all the groceries - which was a full trolley. No long ago, I purchased frozen mash potatoes at Woolies and because it was a $1.60 less than the normal price, I got 3 packets. Guess what, they charged them at the normal price. Yes, they acepted the error and gave me one for free but sometimes it is not the amount of money, it is also the extra time the customer has to spend at the Service counter while they call someone and that person has to go and confirm the price. What it is strange is the fact that those mistakes (in their favour) only happens at Woolworth and Coles. It NEVER, EVER happened at Aldi.

Reactions: Veggiepatch

View attachment 26458

View attachment 26459

Watch the video here:

Key Takeaways

OMGOSH! I'd have made them give it to me for free under the scanning code of practice for that as well as the refund!
Also reminds me of a couple weeks back my local coles tried to charge me $34 for about 6 of the cooked peeled tail on prawns (for the cat). Then the next time i went in it happened again. Each time i either went back while at the checkout or before i left the deli counter let them know and they fixed it. Turned out it was a ticket problem as the wrong code was on the back and it was trying to charge me for the kilo instead of a small part. I didn't take any photos because i had picked up on it before actuaally paying that terrible amount.

I understand. After a long day and a big shop, going to Woolies full of screaming kids, all you want to do is get out of there, get home and get dinner. Who would dream that a chicken would cost that much Obviously NOT your mistake, but Woolie's! Don't let people tell you different.
And of course, she would have paid by card, and not paid attention to the total amount. That’s one of the dangers of paying with a card. It’s so easy to just hand it over and not really listen.

Reactions: mylittletibbies
How the hell wouldn't you know that before paying, some people live in a dreamworld I'm sure

$336.00 would have bought 28 chickens @ $12.00 each.
Enjoyed the laugh from this article. Thankyou SDC Team.

If I send my hubby to even get petrol, let alone shopping, when he gets back I ask how much and he never knows, and doesn't even get a receipt!!