Shock and heartbreak: 'Home & Away' stars respond to colleague's tragic health revelation

The Australian TV and film industry is a tight-knit community, and when one of its own faces a heartbreaking challenge, its stars band together in support.

Recently, a beloved Home & Away crew member, Bruce Murray, revealed he had been diagnosed with stage four oesophageal cancer.

Bruce had been a key grip—a member of the production team responsible for the positioning of the camera on set—for the show for several years.

The Home & Away community created a GoFundMe, to help Bruce and his family have ‘some comfort through these tough roads ahead’.

Screenshot 2023-10-24 073936.png
As of writing, the GoFundMe for Bruce Murray reached $38,107. Credit: GoFundMe

The GoFundMe page, organised by Bruce’s friends, family and colleagues, stated that the cancer has unfortunately gone into his bloodstream and formed multiple cancers on his bones—ribs, spine, collar bone, sacrum, and hips.

‘Bruce will be starting Radiation Therapy on the three most urgent bone areas—spine, ribs and hips and soon be starting a combo of Chemotherapy and Immunotherapy,’ it read.

‘It’s going to be a long journey, but we are positive and know our cherished Brucey is a strong one.’

As of writing, the GoFundMe had reached more than $38,000—exceeding its initial goal of $10,000.

Among the cast and crew members who donated were Angelina Thomson, Kirsty Simmons, Georgie Parker, Emily Symons, Stephanie Panozzo, Ada Nicodemou, and Ethan Browne.

Murray has worked in the TV and film industry for over 20 years and is credited with helping Home & Away find its 'new directorial look'.

Apart from Home and Away, Bruce also worked in the production of different TV shows like All Saints, Breakers, Good News Week, Above The Law and E Street.

According to the Cancer Council New South Wales, oesophageal cancer is an uncommon cancer in Australia, with 1,650 people diagnosed each year. Men are much more likely to be diagnosed than women.

You can learn more about oesophageal cancer here:

Key Takeaways

• Bruce Murray, a crew member of the popular TV show Home and Away, has been diagnosed with stage four oesophageal cancer.
  • Friends, colleagues and fans have set up a GoFundMe page to support Murray and his family through this challenging time, raising over $38,000, exceeding its $10,000 initial goal.
  • Murray needs to undergo intensive treatments, including Radiation Therapy and Immunotherapy in combination with Chemotherapy.
  • The TV veteran, credited with creating a 'new directorial look' for Home and Away, has also worked on the Channel 7 show All Saints.

We at Seniors Discount Club send a special message of hope, love and support to Bruce Murray and his family at this difficult time.

We encourage our community members to donate to his GoFundMe if they can or to help spread the word about his cause. The small kindnesses we do for one another today can help make a lasting impact on Bruce and his family.

To donate to Bruce Murray’s GoFundMe, click here.

What do you think about this story, members? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
The Australian TV and film industry is a tight-knit community, and when one of its own faces a heartbreaking challenge, its stars band together in support.

Recently, a beloved Home & Away crew member, Bruce Murray, revealed he had been diagnosed with stage four oesophageal cancer.

Bruce had been a key grip—a member of the production team responsible for the positioning of the camera on set—for the show for several years.

The Home & Away community created a GoFundMe, to help Bruce and his family have ‘some comfort through these tough roads ahead’.

View attachment 32859
As of writing, the GoFundMe for Bruce Murray reached $38,107. Credit: GoFundMe

The GoFundMe page, organised by Bruce’s friends, family and colleagues, stated that the cancer has unfortunately gone into his bloodstream and formed multiple cancers on his bones—ribs, spine, collar bone, sacrum, and hips.

‘Bruce will be starting Radiation Therapy on the three most urgent bone areas—spine, ribs and hips and soon be starting a combo of Chemotherapy and Immunotherapy,’ it read.

‘It’s going to be a long journey, but we are positive and know our cherished Brucey is a strong one.’

As of writing, the GoFundMe had reached more than $38,000—exceeding its initial goal of $10,000.

Among the cast and crew members who donated were Angelina Thomson, Kirsty Simmons, Georgie Parker, Emily Symons, Stephanie Panozzo, Ada Nicodemou, and Ethan Browne.

Murray has worked in the TV and film industry for over 20 years and is credited with helping Home & Away find its 'new directorial look'.

Apart from Home and Away, Bruce also worked in the production of different TV shows like All Saints, Breakers, Good News Week, Above The Law and E Street.

According to the Cancer Council New South Wales, oesophageal cancer is an uncommon cancer in Australia, with 1,650 people diagnosed each year. Men are much more likely to be diagnosed than women.

You can learn more about oesophageal cancer here:

Key Takeaways

• Bruce Murray, a crew member of the popular TV show Home and Away, has been diagnosed with stage four oesophageal cancer.
  • Friends, colleagues and fans have set up a GoFundMe page to support Murray and his family through this challenging time, raising over $38,000, exceeding its $10,000 initial goal.
  • Murray needs to undergo intensive treatments, including Radiation Therapy and Immunotherapy in combination with Chemotherapy.
  • The TV veteran, credited with creating a 'new directorial look' for Home and Away, has also worked on the Channel 7 show All Saints.

We at Seniors Discount Club send a special message of hope, love and support to Bruce Murray and his family at this difficult time.

We encourage our community members to donate to his GoFundMe if they can or to help spread the word about his cause. The small kindnesses we do for one another today can help make a lasting impact on Bruce and his family.

To donate to Bruce Murray’s GoFundMe, click here.

What do you think about this story, members? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Who🤔sorry we’d go broke donating to every story on here.👎

I think the Go Fund Me Pages are great . He is lucky he has a close knitt working family who will see him through.

It is hard to donate to everyone we see on Go Fund Me.

I donated big to one family last year that I was close to their son was 34 and killed riding his bike home from work, turning a corner and coming off his bike , hitting a car tyre and breaking his neck, he died instantly. He left two little girls behind and a wife .

I have just donated to another Go Fund Me page being my daughters best friend since year 7 , who got diagnosed with cancer , just had her leg amputated to her hip and still not looking good, she has three little ones including an 8 month old.

Saddly my money is needed with those I know .

My prayers are with him and his family

Last edited:
I think the Go Fund Me Pages are great . He is lucky he has a close knitt working family who will see him through.

It is hard to donate to everyone we see on Go Fund Me.

I donated big to one family last year that I was close to their son was 34 and killed riding home from work leaving two little girls behind and a wife .

I have just donated to another Go Fund Me page being my daughters best friend since year 7 , who got diagnosed with cancer , just had her leg amputated to her hip and still not looking good, she has three little ones including an 8 month old.

Saddly my money is needed with those I know .

My prayers are with him and his family
I feel that’s totally different there your friends and family not strangers🙀

So sorry to hear about Bruce Murray's diagnosis. However the GO Fund me site is such a good place for those who have the means to help those in need. We dont know his family's financial situation so please dont judge ....and scroll past if this is something you are not interested in rather than making unnecessay critaial comments.

I actually don’t know why they did this post I think it’s really rude to ask pensionersetc to donate to strangers. Just my opinion🤔
There are so many people in need its like where do you start. I'm looking at doing a good donation early next year but something with sick kids . Not sure yet where I will make it yet but most likely to do with kids with cancer

As with Bruce Murray, very bad news for him & family. In the realm of successful t.v. & movie productions, there are numerous behind the scene workers doing an incredible job who just are not recognised & creditly acclaimed. In American movies and t.v. productions, every Tom, Dick & Harry plus their dogs are mentioned. This is even down to the cleaner sweeping the floors and the guy who takes out the rubbish at the days end plus the toilet cleaner as well.

I don't know Bruce either, but I certainly wish you well with your forthcoming treatment.

Who🤔sorry we’d go broke donating to every story on here.👎
Why not just not comment or have some empathy. You are not being told to donate, some members may wish to. This type of cancer has a very poor prognosis unfortunately.

Reactions: Ezzy
Even though one may not know Bruce there is no harm in having a little Empathy ..
The “ go fund me “ is to give financial support to the Family no one is being forced to
Donate. If one does not agree with “ go fund me “ just walk on by..

Reactions: Ezzy and Defiant540
You can scroll on by also you know 🙀so your going to donate then😤don’t have a coronary will you trinnie😈
You really are not a very nice person who can’t stand it when someone goes against your comment. Have a nice day and goodbye 👋

Reactions: Ezzy
You really are not a very nice person who can’t stand it when someone goes against your comment. Have a nice day and goodbye 👋
Really trinnie Don’t get upset Trinnie I’m not the only one who commented boohoo your a bully picking on me I don’t like you anymore.your the not very nice person dear and i don’t give a shit about you or what you said. Sticks and stones right.😹so bye bye trinnie on your bike dyke.dont cross me cos you won’t win dear.bye bye have a nice sunny day won’t you dear.😈😈

Last edited:
Why not just not comment or have some empathy. You are not being told to donate, some members may wish to. This type of cancer has a very poor prognosis unfortunately.
It’s a free speech world tabby 🐈 kidlets are more deserving of donations.just expressing my freedom of speech rights so are a lot of people on here not just me.have a nice sunny day won’t you 🐈meow😈😈