Shepherd’s pie

Shepherd’s pie
shutterstock_750150766.jpg
Image source: Shutterstuck

EDIT: Members, I hope you all laugh from this. I completely forgot, but this recipe is a family one and a few members in my family HATE lamb (criminal, I know) so I make it with beef instead. However, of course a traditional Shepherd's pie should always be made with lamb! So I'm sorry about this, I'm very embarrassed so just sub out the beef for lamb, unless you have some fussy eaters too, then replace the lamb with beef like me :ROFLMAO:

This shepherd’s pie recipe is a classic dish that is not only easy to make but also delicious. It’s a hearty and filling dish that is perfect for a cold winter night. The pie is made with a mixture of ground beef and vegetables and is topped with a creamy mashed potato. It has to be one of our favourite winter dishes.

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 onion, chopped

2 garlic cloves, minced

1 carrot, chopped

1 celery stick, chopped

1 tablespoon tomato paste

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

1/2 teaspoon dried basil

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/4 cup beef stock

1 (400g) can diced tomatoes

500g ground beef

3-4 potatoes, peeled and diced

1/4 cup milk

1/4 cup butter

1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Method:

1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.

2. In a large pot, sauté onion, garlic, carrot, celery, tomato paste, salt, pepper, oregano, basil, and nutmeg in olive oil.

3. Add beef stock and diced tomatoes and bring to a boil.

4. Add ground beef and cook until browned.

5. Meanwhile, boil potatoes in a large pot of water.

6. Drain the potatoes and mash with milk, butter, and Parmesan cheese.

7. Spread the beef mixture into a baking dish and top with mashed potatoes.

8. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the shepherd’s pie is heated through.

9. Serve with a side of green beans or peas.

Last edited:
Sponsored
Shepherd’s pie
View attachment 3574

EDIT: Members, I hope you all laugh from this. I completely forgot, but this recipe is a family one and a few members in my family HATE lamb (criminal, I know) so I make it with beef instead. However, of course a traditional Shepherd's pie should always be made with lamb! So I'm sorry about this, I'm very embarrassed so just sub out the beef for lamb, unless you have some fussy eaters too, then replace the lamb with beef like me :ROFLMAO:

This shepherd’s pie recipe is a classic dish that is not only easy to make but also delicious. It’s a hearty and filling dish that is perfect for a cold winter night. The pie is made with a mixture of ground beef and vegetables and is topped with a creamy mashed potato. It has to be one of our favourite winter dishes.

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 onion, chopped

2 garlic cloves, minced

1 carrot, chopped

1 celery stick, chopped

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1/2 teaspoon dried basil

1/4 cup beef stock

500g ground beef

1/4 cup milk

1/4 cup butter

Method:

2. In a large pot, sauté onion, garlic, carrot, celery, tomato paste, salt, pepper, oregano, basil, and nutmeg in olive oil.

@julesonc I'm not sure if you saw my edit at the very top of the recipe underneath the photo? I'm very embarrassed, we had so many members email in so I couldn't just change it! I come from a family of fussy eaters, and this is my family recipe, hence the big error :ROFLMAO: Hopefully everyone can find the humour in it...

Reactions: Suzanne rose
Shepherd’s pie
View attachment 3574

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 onion, chopped

2 garlic cloves, minced

1 carrot, chopped

1 celery stick, chopped

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1/2 teaspoon dried basil

1/4 cup beef stock

500g ground beef

1/4 cup milk

1/4 cup butter

Method:

At first, I thought you couldn't catch a Shepherd.

Very similar to what I make except I add worstershire sauce and my go to herb for this is tyme. Sheperd or cottage only difference is one has lamb the other beef. Which ever I use I always call it sheperds pie, just something about saying cottage pie, but who cares along as it yum