Vella Gonzaga

Vella Gonzaga

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 23, 2021
Shelling peas

Screen Shot 2023-02-09 at 3.20.01 PM.png
Credits: Australia Remember When FB page
Who here remembers shelling peas for the evening meal? That fun time with the family gathered around the table, chatting away and filling the bowl with peas for dinner. Today, it’s a task that is rarely done, with frozen peas readily available in supermarkets. But it’s a great reminder of the simpler times. Do you still shell peas in your household?

Reasonably easy to grow and rarely do they make it into a meal when they are in season. Most are picked, washed with the garden hose then munched on whilst we have family afternoons of games and giggles. Awesome healthy snacks that always remind me of the happy times when my three kid's were youngsters 40 years ago 😋 😀 Those were the days, just blissful.

Reactions: JayKay and Vicki.E.
Being the youngest child, I always had the job of shelling the peas.
I would do anything to help my dear Mum.
On a Saturday during winter, I played competition basketball with my Church team (now called netball).
Our minister's wife always took her huge bowl of peas with her, and shelled the peas into a colander while she watched us play. She covered the colander with a tea towel.
I clearly remember the day the ball bounced off the court and hit the lonely filled colander of peas.
Yes, of course, peas went everywhere!
At half time, we took extra time out, while every girl was on their knees picking up peas. Only then did we get our piece of orange!

• Love
Reactions: Granny*Deb
Being the youngest child, I always had the job of shelling the peas.
I would do anything to help my dear Mum.
On a Saturday during winter, I played competition basketball with my Church team (now called netball).
Our minister's wife always took her huge bowl of peas with her, and shelled the peas into a colander while she watched us play. She covered the colander with a tea towel.
I clearly remember the day the ball bounced off the court and hit the lonely filled colander of peas.
Yes, of course, peas went everywhere!
At half time, we took extra time out, while every girl was on their knees picking up peas. Only then did we get our piece of orange!
Great story.

Reactions: JayKay
Shelling peas

View attachment 13221
Credits: Australia Remember When FB page
Who here remembers shelling peas for the evening meal? That fun time with the family gathered around the table, chatting away and filling the bowl with peas for dinner. Today, it’s a task that is rarely done, with frozen peas readily available in supermarkets. But it’s a great reminder of the simpler times. Do you still shell peas in your household?
Not any more 😀
As the oldest child of 9 it was one of my jobs lol

I recall a particular Christmas when we were children and having to shell the peas for dinner at the hotel.
Two large dining rooms full of guests to be catered for. NO frozen peas and tinned peas were a no-no.

I grow peas every year but not many of them get cooked LOL most get eaten as I'm podding them. Also grow Butter Beans, Broad Beans, 7 Year Beans along with other vegies and flowers and the backyard staple of Raspberries lol