SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Danielle G.

Danielle G.

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 23, 2024
Share your favourite book!

G’day, members! How have you been spending your afternoons lately? If you ask me, I recently watched a movie adaptation of a book I’ve been meaning to read. It’s called Dune—have you read it or seen the movie? Or are there other books you’ve got your nose buried into lately? Tell us about it here.

91vVTsLa9xL._SY522_.jpg
Image source: Amazon

Last edited:
Reactions: Athena E.
I read Dune and the follow on books (Dune Messiah, Children of Dune, God Emperor of Dune, Herretics of Dune and Chapter House Dune) a long time before the first movie was made in 1984. I found them very interesting, if a little weird in places.

When I first heard that they were planning to make a movie I was excited.

Sadly what they produced was very disappointing. There is a lot of internal dialogue in the books which was poorly handled, slowing the pace of the original movie. Nor was there sufficient time in one movie to introduce the society in which the story was set.

I haven't seen the 2000 Dune mini-series & it's 2003 Children of Dune sequel or the 2021/2024 two part re-make of the first movie.

I guess I should give it a go, but I don't want to be disappointed again.

I have read Dune and many of the books that followed. I saw the original when it first came ou mid 80's. I have seen the new one. I have DVDs of both. Its scope literally blew me away and introduced me To Sci-fi.

There are many excellent authors for this genre. I highly recommend Isaac Asimovs Foundation series to anyone.

I read Dune and the follow on books (Dune Messiah, Children of Dune, God Emperor of Dune, Herretics of Dune and Chapter House Dune) a long time before the first movie was made in 1984. I found them very interesting, if a little weird in places.

Sadly what they produced was very disappointing. There is a lot of internal dialogue in the books which was poorly handled, slowing the pace of the original movie. Nor was there sufficient time in one movie to introduce the society in which the story was set.

I haven't seen the 2000 Dune mini-series & it's 2003 Children of Dune sequel or the 2021/2024 two part re-make of the first movie.

I agree. I wanted to know more about the Fremen in the movie, so I guess I really should start reading 😂 I absolutely loved the sandworm scenes.

I have read Dune and many of the books that followed. I saw the original when it first came ou mid 80's. I have seen the new one. I have DVDs of both. Its scope literally blew me away and introduced me To Sci-fi.

There are many excellent authors for this genre. I highly recommend Isaac Asimovs Foundation series to anyone.
Thanks for recommending! I'll look for a copy 😊 That reminds me how much I loved Bicentennial Man!

I agree. I wanted to know more about the Fremen in the movie, so I guess I really should start reading 😂 I absolutely loved the sandworm scenes.
Don't watch the mini series Cildren of Dune. Not worth it. 2021 & 2024 movies are approximately 3hrs long each. They stay quite a bit more to the original book. I recently bought a 2 disc Blu Ray of the new movies from JB Hi-Fi for $30. They are about 20 gig each. So need to be burnt to USB. If my friends wanted them.

The fight with Jamis is a must watch. His fight with Feyd Rautha is superb. His first ride on a sandworm is spectacular.

I agree. I read all the original books in the 70s because I’m a big sci-fi fan. Was pulled in totally by the first two, couldn’t wait for Children to appear, but lost interest after that. I always prefer books to films for the reasons you give … films show you what people do, books tell you what people are thinking. And more importantly— why.