Seniors appeal for zero benefit penalties for working

As labour shortages across Australia persist, seniors around the country are finding more reason and space to return to the workforce.

Seventy-eight-year-old Margaret Anderson is one of them.

Working a few shifts a week at restaurant 360Q in the coastal town of Queenscliff, Victoria, this part-time job as a waitress has given Anderson a new lease on life.

'I love the people I'm working with and … the people I meet. I'll do this for as long as I can. I love every minute of it,' she told A Current Affair.

Unfortunately, in previous years, those who were getting a pension couldn’t do this easily.

Individual seniors were only allowed to earn up to $190 per fortnight (for couples, this was $336 combined) after applying the $300 Work Bonus eligible income — any more, and they risked losing access to some benefits.

The federal government made a change last September, expanding the work bonus initiative. Aged and veteran pensioners can now earn an extra $4000 in the current financial year without penalty, boosting the income allowance from $7800 to $11,800.

This change allows working seniors more breathing room, especially as cost-of-living pressures bear down on everyone.

16656985530_a007f5e039_o.jpg
360Q employs seniors among its staff. Stock Image Credit: Flickr

Margaret said she loves the initiative, and Di, another retiree who works at a nearby restaurant called Circa 1902, shares this sentiment.

'Particularly now where there's such a shortage of workers, and it allows people to have a little bit more freedom to get back to the work they're doing,’ she said.

But Di and Margaret might have to adjust their work hours again as the expanded work bonus balance reverts back to $7,800 next year.

This looming backstep has prompted calls for more permanent change to be made through legislation.

‘I think we need to recognise that we have a jobs crisis in Australia. Four hundred fifty thousand plus jobs are going begging, and we've got 4.5 million Australians over 65,’ said Ian Henschke, Chief Advocate of National Seniors Australia.

He believes Australia doesn’t have to look too far for inspiration.

'New Zealand’s got a simple system, you work, you pay income tax, and they just get on with it,' Ian said. 'And surprise, surprise, they have a much higher workforce participation rate than we do here.'

‘New Zealand has a workforce participation rate of 71 per cent. We’ve got 66 per cent. They’ve got five per cent more of their population working, and most of it is older workers. That’s where they’re getting their workers from.’

photo-1607863680198-23d4b2565df0.jpg
For some, what they get on Age Pension and other types of government aid isn’t enough to go by. Image Credit: Unsplash

Ian argues that allowing those on a pension to return to work freely creates a positive societal situation.

‘We need workers desperately in aged care, childcare, home care, disability care and agriculture and tourism and hospitality,’ he said.

‘So letting the pensioners work and earn a bit more is actually going to help.’

Barry Iddles, the owner of 360Q, agreed that it’s high time rules be amended in favour of working seniors.

'It's wrong to penalise them. I don't think they should have their pension affected at all,’ he said.

Iddles said he previously included seniors in an earlier call for restaurant staff he made within Queenscliff, and he confirmed he received great feedback — but there was an oft-repeated catch.

‘There's a lot of them saying “We can only work $200 a fortnight,” so it's not a lot,’ he said.

‘I'd like to see them work three or four shifts if they want.’

In response, Social Services Minister Amanda Rishworth said that the expanded work bonus balance is part of the government’s efforts to improve the lives of senior Australians.

‘One of these is the boost to the Work Bonus income bank which began in December and will allow older Australians and Veterans the ability to work more without losing any of their income support payments,’ her statement read.

‘Around three per cent of pensioners report any income, but for those who do want to work, this gives them more choice.’

‘Giving older Australians the choice to engage in the workforce not only benefits them by ensuring they keep more of their pension, but it is also an important step towards addressing Australia's labour shortages.’

It remains unclear if the government has plans to retain the $4000 work bonus balance top-up beyond its stated end-of-year deadline.

Key Takeaways
  • Seventy-eight-year-old Margaret Anderson loves working part-time at a restaurant, and many more like her could earn more if it weren’t for penalties imposed on income for those on Age Pension payments.
  • The federal government expanded the work bonus initiative in September last year, which boosted pensioners’ income allowance from $7800 to $11,800.
  • However, the expanded balance is set to revert on January 1, 2024, meaning a lot of employed seniors would have to keep a close eye on their income and watch out for penalties.
  • Advocates of more work for senior Australians are calling for permanent legislation to be implemented, in line with New Zealand’s system, to give pensioners the option of working without being penalised.
Earlier, Centrelink announced changes in its payment scheme, which could see some recipients having their payments automatically suspended.

Among these revised rules are Age Pension recipients having their pensions reduced to $0 if income reaches set thresholds for individuals and couples per fortnight.

Members, have you returned to the workforce or are you looking to rejoin soon? What do you feel about Australia’s current rules on working for seniors?

Tell us in the comments section below!

Source: Facebook/A Current Affair

Sponsored
As labour shortages across Australia persist, seniors around the country are finding more reason and space to return to the workforce.

Working a few shifts a week at restaurant 360Q in the coastal town of Queenscliff, Victoria, this part-time job as a waitress has given Anderson a new lease on life.

'I love the people I'm working with and … the people I meet. I'll do this for as long as I can. I love every minute of it,' she told A Current Affair.

Unfortunately, in previous years, those who were getting a pension couldn’t do this easily.

Individual seniors were only allowed to earn up to $190 per fortnight (for couples, this was $336 combined) after applying the $300 Work Bonus eligible income — any more, and they risked losing access to some benefits.

The federal government made a change last September, expanding the work bonus initiative. Aged and veteran pensioners can now earn an extra $4000 in the current financial year without penalty, boosting the income allowance from $7800 to $11,800.

This change allows working seniors more breathing room, especially as cost-of-living pressures bear down on everyone.

View attachment 13996

Margaret said she loves the initiative, and Di, another retiree who works at a nearby restaurant called Circa 1902, shares this sentiment.

'Particularly now where there's such a shortage of workers, and it allows people to have a little bit more freedom to get back to the work they're doing,’ she said.

But Di and Margaret might have to adjust their work hours again as the expanded work bonus balance reverts back to $7,800 next year.

This looming backstep has prompted calls for more permanent change to be made through legislation.

‘I think we need to recognise that we have a jobs crisis in Australia. Four hundred fifty thousand plus jobs are going begging, and we've got 4.5 million Australians over 65,’ said Ian Henschke, Chief Advocate of National Seniors Australia.

'New Zealand’s got a simple system, you work, you pay income tax, and they just get on with it,' Ian said. 'And surprise, surprise, they have a much higher workforce participation rate than we do here.'

‘New Zealand has a workforce participation rate of 71 per cent. We’ve got 66 per cent. They’ve got five per cent more of their population working, and most of it is older workers. That’s where they’re getting their workers from.’

View attachment 13997
For some, what they get on Age Pension and other types of government aid isn’t enough to go by. Image Credit: Unsplash

Ian argues that allowing those on a pension to return to work freely creates a positive societal situation.

‘We need workers desperately in aged care, childcare, home care, disability care and agriculture and tourism and hospitality,’ he said.

Barry Iddles, the owner of 360Q, agreed that it’s high time rules be amended in favour of working seniors.

'It's wrong to penalise them. I don't think they should have their pension affected at all,’ he said.

Iddles said he previously included seniors in an earlier call for restaurant staff he made within Queenscliff, and he confirmed he received great feedback — but there was an oft-repeated catch.

‘There's a lot of them saying “We can only work $200 a fortnight,” so it's not a lot,’ he said.

In response, Social Services Minister Amanda Rishworth said that the expanded work bonus balance is part of the government’s efforts to improve the lives of senior Australians.

‘One of these is the boost to the Work Bonus income bank which began in December and will allow older Australians and Veterans the ability to work more without losing any of their income support payments,’ her statement read.

‘Around three per cent of pensioners report any income, but for those who do want to work, this gives them more choice.’

‘Giving older Australians the choice to engage in the workforce not only benefits them by ensuring they keep more of their pension, but it is also an important step towards addressing Australia's labour shortages.’

It remains unclear if the government has plans to retain the $4000 work bonus balance top-up beyond its stated end-of-year deadline.

Key Takeaways

• Seventy-eight-year-old Margaret Anderson loves working part-time at a restaurant, and many more like her could earn more if it weren’t for penalties imposed on income for those on Age Pension payments.
  • The federal government expanded the work bonus initiative in September last year, which boosted pensioners’ income allowance from $7800 to $11,800.
  • However, the expanded balance is set to revert on January 1, 2024, meaning a lot of employed seniors would have to keep a close eye on their income and watch out for penalties.
  • Advocates of more work for senior Australians are calling for permanent legislation to be implemented, in line with New Zealand’s system, to give pensioners the option of working without being penalised.
Earlier, Centrelink announced changes in its payment scheme, which could see some recipients having their payments automatically suspended.

Among these revised rules are Age Pension recipients having their pensions reduced to $0 if income reaches set thresholds for individuals and couples per fortnight.

Members, have you returned to the workforce or are you looking to rejoin soon? What do you feel about Australia’s current rules on working for seniors?

I have worked all of my life from the age of 14 and raised 6 children. I have battled financially, scrimped and saved and would love to be able to travel etc. However, the reality is that the cost of living is still increasing, so I made the decision to return to work for some extra income to help with paying to live.

I, like many other people have back, knee and hip pain so I cannot work full-time or two days in a row.
I definitely feel that the government needs to allow seniors a larger income amount before the pension is affected.

I retired when I was 67 and enjoyed the time of not having to work. After about 12 months I found that I was getting bored and have applied to do in house community aged care 3 days a week (I was an aged carer in a facility before). Most of the shifts are for only 2 hours per client with 2 to 3 clients each day. The little bit of extra income also helps with everyday expenses! I dare not do any extra shifts for fear of losing part of my age pension! The government needs to allow us seniors who are willing to work, to not get penalised for working!

It seems that in recent times, the topic of aging is gaining greater prominence. Unfortunately, negative views which define it above all as a problem will continue to dominate, unless these views are changed. Seniors, the elderly, or whatever you wish to call us, are a decisive demographic dividend for the labor market which is deeply under-utilised by employers and yet we make up an increasingly important segment in the sphere of consumption (the silver economy). Working not only helps a person's mental well-being, it also helps with social interaction, they feel valued and their needs are being addressed. Mature workers also tend to be a bit more loyal and punctual as well.
Not all seniors want to go back to what their original work roles/positions were, ie Managers, CEOs, etc, however, they are quite happy to feel they are useful again. The retired tradies could be utilised as teachers, and absorbed into any associated businesses connected to their trades, the same for Chefs, Nurses, etc. The experience of all seniors, it doesn't matter what your working role/position was previously, it all comes down to this - we are all human and need to feel valued and appreciated and part of the way forward is to permit us (the ones who still want to) to work, for some of us it will be as a necessity for others it will be for the social interaction and mental well being.
We have all worked hard and like anyone else we deserve the chance to enjoy what life we still have left and for some of us it might mean working for a bit longer without being penalised monetarily.

The government are helping seniors who can work by increasing their income allowance, but what about the seniors that are too sick to work, and probably have more health bills to pay. There has been no increase in the income allowed for sick pensioners.

On 7 March 2023 I go on to the Aged pension, only just received my letter even though lodged my application in November 2022. In the letter shows me the amount I will be getting which is less than what the Aged pension is. We are a couple and so threfore my partners contribution comes into it he get about less than $23kper year. So according Centrelink my pension is reduced by $129 per fortnight . Put an appeal in to Centrelink for a complex Officer to explain their calculations, as no where in the letter do they show how they come to this conclusion. Your just left in the dark. also by the way waited on phone for over an hour and half when recording stated 40 minute delay before getting to an Centrelink officer who could not explain why but just kept repeating herself on what the letter stated -

Have to now wait 14 days before the Complex Officer will get back to us ?.

Was told this would be an easy process going from Centrelink unemployment benefit to the Aged PensIon - would think by the time you reach aged pension age it would be stress free up , but no you still have to jump through hoops.

As for Aged pensioners being able to work if they choose too , but then get penalised if they do, and the government allowed pensioners to earn $4000 without loosing any pension is a joke as it end January 2024 YES it should be permanent.

It seems that in recent times, the topic of aging is gaining greater prominence. Unfortunately, negative views which define it above all as a problem will continue to dominate, unless these views are changed. Seniors, the elderly, or whatever you wish to call us, are a decisive demographic dividend for the labor market which is deeply under-utilised by employers and yet we make up an increasingly important segment in the sphere of consumption (the silver economy). Working not only helps a person's mental well-being, it also helps with social interaction, they feel valued and their needs are being addressed. Mature workers also tend to be a bit more loyal and punctual as well.
Not all seniors want to go back to what their original work roles/positions were, ie Managers, CEOs, etc, however, they are quite happy to feel they are useful again. The retired tradies could be utilised as teachers, and absorbed into any associated businesses connected to their trades, the same for Chefs, Nurses, etc. The experience of all seniors, it doesn't matter what your working role/position was previously, it all comes down to this - we are all human and need to feel valued and appreciated and part of the way forward is to permit us (the ones who still want to) to work, for some of us it will be as a necessity for others it will be for the social interaction and mental well being.
We have all worked hard and like anyone else we deserve the chance to enjoy what life we still have left and for some of us it might mean working for a bit longer without being penalised monetarily.
Wow - you took the words right out of my mouth - well said!
I’m just starting a new job today, I’m 75 in 2 months time, but I’m excited!
As a household we really need the extra income but I’ll lose some of my pension.
It is very unfair!

Benefits to age pensioners definitely needs a
Shake up. The amount we expected to live on is a joke with the cost of living , insurances, car rego etc. we have to now look at reducing to one car between us because the rego and insurance for starters are
Prohibitive. As others have said we have worked and paid taxes all our lives and yet now we want to spend our remaining years maybe enjoying life we have to struggle with budgeting down to the last $1 and resizing our independence by being unable to afford two cars. I look at the single pension and wonder how slides anyone do it. I have no doubt I would be unable to support a home and a vehicle if my husband died or vice versa. Bearing in mind there are many of us who do not have super funds to fall
Back on.

View attachment 13996

View attachment 13997

Key Takeaways

I have loved working beyond my retirement age. My husband is younger than I am, and I did not want to stay at home alone and bored. I was making no contribution financially except for my small pension. However, I am now at the end of the $4000 extra allowance, so it is not worth risking the loss of my pension and pharmaceutical benefits again and having to reapply. It should be much extended that older people are able to return to work for a few hours a week without loss of the pension we’ve worked our lives to receive. I’m sure working extends our life, improves our health, both mentally and physically, and contributes towards society.

View attachment 13996

View attachment 13997

Key Takeaways

Those of us who can should be allowed to work without the threat of loss of pension. Not only is it good for our mental health, it benefits our ability to cope with ever increasing prices and is also of assistance to stretched employers and our country. Problem is that we need the amount we can earn to be at least double what we are allowed to currently earn. Most employers want workers for more than just a day or two a week … as my own job search attests to.

The rules dictating Centrelink pensions are unfair in Australia.

Pension payments should reflect contributions made over the individual's working life.

Pay former workers a rate that recognises their tax contributions over 10, 20, 30 or 40+ years using an appropriate calculation method. This is easily evidenced from tax records.

This is not to be confused with superannuation, superannuation is money accumulated from work over the long term and paid by the employer.

We now have a category of SELF FUNDED RETIREES that get nothing. Many of these people are only SELF FUNDED because they saved dollar on dollar over the decades they worked including sacrificing salary to pay to superannuation.

They saved their spare income and denied themselves numerous things to stockpile some funds to be comfortable in retirement.

Legislate to allow:

1. The above noted SELF FUNDED RETIREES to receive their rightful entitlement to a pension from a system that they themselves (these SELF FUNDED RETIREES) helped fund and underpin instead of declaring 'your assets exceed the threshold' because the money they have that falls within the category of 'assets' and that Centrelink/government deems to be over this concocted threshold is money earned through sacrifice in many cases over several decades; and

2. Pay NON SELF FUNDED RETIREES a pension and allow them to work feely without income limitations to ensure they can afford decent lifestyles.

View attachment 13996

View attachment 13997

Key Takeaways

I am a 71 year old school bus driver and enjoy working however I am punished if asked to work more hours. As it currently stands I can only work 8.10 hrs per week before I am penalised 50c in the $ off my pension as well as paying PAYG. My employer would like me to work 15-20 hours per week but I cant.

View attachment 13996

View attachment 13997

Key Takeaways

Due to circumstances beyond my control I have ended up owing a great deal of money. I have returned to work at age 75 and as a result I have lost all my pension entitlements. It would be great to have the New Zealand model here in Australia. It would ease the worker shortage and make many people happy. AND they would be getting our PAYE taxes!

View attachment 13996

View attachment 13997

Key Takeaways

As a single Aged Pensioner I would love to work more. This would enable me to not be isolated in the home all alone, I could maintain my skills in my profession, meet people and be able to still earn a living and contribute towards the economy. The income I receive when I do find work is calculated on gross earnings. As a single aged pensioner I am only allowed to earn $490.00 a fortnight, which would only mean I can only work for a day. It is impossible to find work within this limited threshold. It would be great and helpful if Australia valued their senior citizens and introduce a similar law like New Zealand where senior citizens who wish to work are able to work without the risk of losing their pension. I look forward to this day so I can return to work and not have to keep worrying whether I have exceed my work bonus and have my pension in jeopardy.

So much expertise is lost when we retire and go on the pension, and why not be able to work after receiving the pension it still helps the economy, more taxes are paid, I really dont see the problem especially now that they are crying for workers..:unsure:

If you receive an aged pension and you want to work then you should be encouraged to do so without the rules that seem to make it so difficult. There are so many skills and experiences that seniors have that could help train and assist younger people in the workforce. We are a huge resource that no one seems to have recognised when discussing employment in general.

Reactions: Ezzy and Granny*Deb