Selfish parking act sparks outrage: ‘I struggled to get into my car’

Disabled parking spaces are important in every parking lot. It makes everything accessible as they are near shopping centres, supermarkets, restaurants, etc.

But what would you do if someone parked in between two cars in a disabled parking space?

For 71-year-old John Laine, who completely relies on a walking frame to get around, he was left feeling outraged when he found a vehicle parked in the disability-reserved spot at Campbelltown Mall in Sydney’s southwest.

When he returned to his car, he was shocked by what he witnessed. Someone else had parked their car in between his and the one beside it—-completely blocking the access to his car.

He took photos of the act and posted them on social media.

Screenshot 2023-11-03 at 3.34.34 PM.png
A white car was parked in between John’s and another car in the disabled parking space. Credit: Instagram

‘When I came back, the other two cars were there, and what annoyed me was the fact that the first white car next to me was actually on the dividing line between those two parking bays,’ Laine said.

'I actually use a walking frame to walk, but there was no space. I struggled to get into my car.'

What infuriated him even further was that the white 2008 Daewoo Gentra X had a disability parking permit on display.

Laine informed Campbelltown Council and police regarding the situation, but they replied that it was an issue to be resolved by the shopping centre.

He claimed that the authorities failed to prevent drivers from taking up the extra space in between the disabled parking bays.

He said the authorities have to make sure that disabled parking spaces are not being misused and they should not inconvenience people with disabilities.

Disability activist and award-winning safety speaker James Wood even shared his own story of how he once waited for three hours for a driver to come out of a shopping centre to move their car, which was parked between two disabled parking spaces.

In similar news, a woman exposed an Australia Post driver who was parking in a disabled space in Brisbane. It was seen that the driver had no disability permit displayed in the car, leaving others struggling to find a parking space in the area. Read more about the story here.

According to the NSW Road Rules Act 2014, only people with disabilities are allowed to park in a disability parking spot, and they must hold and display their valid disability parking permit.

Those who don’t have a valid permit are not allowed not park in those areas. Anyone parking illegally may face a fine of $581 and the loss of one demerit point.

They could also face fines of up to $2,200 if the penalty would be contested in local courts.

Key Takeaways
  • An elderly driver, John Laine, was upset by a selfish parking act at Campbelltown Mall, where another driver parked their car in between two disabled spaces.
  • Laine shared photos of the incident online. The car that was parked incorrectly displayed a disability parking permit, which infuriated Laine even further.
  • Laine reported the incident to Campbelltown Council and the police, who said it was an issue for the shopping centre.
  • Disability activist and safety speaker James Wood stated that taking up the space between disability parking spaces is common.

What can you say about this story? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
People have become self absorbed and don't care about whether you, a disabled person, can get in or out of your car, there were many times, when my husband was alive, I was unable to get him out of the car into his wheelchair, to take to an appointment as someone had parked illegally in a disabled park. Have some compassion for disabled people as these parks could be the only way they can actually get out and about. Just because it's a park closer to the door and you have children doesn't mean you have the right to take the park, it was your choice to have children, it wasn't theirs to become disabled. Also bare in mind, just because your partner/spouse has a disabled sticker DOESN'T entitle you to use a disabled park if your partner/spouse isn't with you.

Reactions: Ricci and siameezer
Zip-tie as many shopping trolleys as you can to the offending vehicle, front & rear, without endangering any other people's vehicles adjacent; might make the offender think twice?

Reactions: Ricci
Please tell me why the number plate couldn't be shown? Or might it be one of those popular "alleged" incidents? Did it happen, or didn't it happen? What possible excuse could be used to deny it?
Simple really ... you are required, if you don't want to be sued, to obscure any identifying feature when posting a photo. With the amount of vigilante idiots out there these days I hate to think what some fool would do if they saw the car somewhere!

I have a disability permit, a week ago I was savagely abused for parking in a disabled parked spot, I told him I had a permit then he continued on saying I wasnt disabled and shouldn't have one. I was Very shaken by the ordeal it was just awful to be spoken to like that. Wendy
It has happened to me too Wendy and I am sorry you were subjected to it. These fools seem to think unless you are in a wheelchair you are not eligible to use the space, but there are many "invisible disabilities" that do require you to use one. If a person has a valid permit it is no one else's business whether they "look" disabled or not!

Disabled parking spaces are important in every parking lot. It makes everything accessible as they are near shopping centres, supermarkets, restaurants, etc.

But what would you do if someone parked in between two cars in a disabled parking space?

For 71-year-old John Laine, who completely relies on a walking frame to get around, he was left feeling outraged when he found a vehicle parked in the disability-reserved spot at Campbelltown Mall in Sydney’s southwest.

When he returned to his car, he was shocked by what he witnessed. Someone else had parked their car in between his and the one beside it—-completely blocking the access to his car.

View attachment 33820
A white car was parked in between John’s and another car in the disabled parking space. Credit: Instagram

‘When I came back, the other two cars were there, and what annoyed me was the fact that the first white car next to me was actually on the dividing line between those two parking bays,’ Laine said.

'I actually use a walking frame to walk, but there was no space. I struggled to get into my car.'

What infuriated him even further was that the white 2008 Daewoo Gentra X had a disability parking permit on display.

Laine informed Campbelltown Council and police regarding the situation, but they replied that it was an issue to be resolved by the shopping centre.

He claimed that the authorities failed to prevent drivers from taking up the extra space in between the disabled parking bays.

He said the authorities have to make sure that disabled parking spaces are not being misused and they should not inconvenience people with disabilities.

Disability activist and award-winning safety speaker James Wood even shared his own story of how he once waited for three hours for a driver to come out of a shopping centre to move their car, which was parked between two disabled parking spaces.

In similar news, a woman exposed an Australia Post driver who was parking in a disabled space in Brisbane. It was seen that the driver had no disability permit displayed in the car, leaving others struggling to find a parking space in the area. Read more about the story here.

According to the NSW Road Rules Act 2014, only people with disabilities are allowed to park in a disability parking spot, and they must hold and display their valid disability parking permit.

Those who don’t have a valid permit are not allowed not park in those areas. Anyone parking illegally may face a fine of $581 and the loss of one demerit point.

They could also face fines of up to $2,200 if the penalty would be contested in local courts.

Key Takeaways

• An elderly driver, John Laine, was upset by a selfish parking act at Campbelltown Mall, where another driver parked their car in between two disabled spaces.
  • Laine shared photos of the incident online. The car that was parked incorrectly displayed a disability parking permit, which infuriated Laine even further.
  • Laine reported the incident to Campbelltown Council and the police, who said it was an issue for the shopping centre.
  • Disability activist and safety speaker James Wood stated that taking up the space between disability parking spaces is common.

Is parking over the dividing line not parking illegally, if they are parking illegally and can be fined $581. who issues the fine. The police said it was up to the shopping centre. News flash, shopping centres cannot issue fines that is the job of the police, they should be made to do their job.

Simple really ... you are required, if you don't want to be sued, to obscure any identifying feature when posting a photo. With the amount of vigilante idiots out there these days I hate to think what some fool would do if they saw the car somewhere!
So, who could object to having a piccie of their car taken if they're doing the wrong thing? Their mother? Could the owner of the car come back and say that the picture was photoshopped to make it appear that the car was parked in the wrong position?

View attachment 33820

Key Takeaways

What can you say about this story? Share your thoughts i

Especially at busy times like Holidays (Christmas etc.) these disabled parking places should have cameras aimed at them all the time, and these brought to the attention of the Police number plates and all.

what about all the shopping centres converting disability parking spots over to red parent with prams bays,and shoppig centres with parking bays next to return bays for shopping trolleys,hoping the trolleys will overflow in to a disabled bay with much success
I have to agree with this observation.
The local shopping centre we frequent has 2 mobility spots in the section we frequent, and 10 on each side next to them for prams. We have the proper permit for disabled parking but rarely find a spot. So, we have to park in the pram bays. I was abused by a seemingly teenage mum for doing so once. So I suggested she park further away. The walk will help to get post baby flab.

These wide bays are a necessity for disabled people & how they park in that bay is nobody's business.

Some years ago l needed to take my friend to a Tribunal. The underground carpark had no such bays so l had to squeeze into a normal parking bay (nobody parked in the middle of those bays). To get him out of the passenger seat & into his wheelchair l then needed to reverse out far enough to open the passenger door & hope a car didn't come down the ramp & wipe us out. The same needed to be done when we returned. Had a suitable bay been available this would possibly have been used allowing me to fully open the passenger door & load my friend into his wheelchair without concern about damage to the vehicle next to me.

l feel the actions of the third car driver can be described as inconsiderate, irresponsible & unacceptable, even if it was as stated, displaying a sticker. Without knowing if ordinary bays were available to park in as l did, l believe a more reasonable alternative could have been available to the driver.

It almost appears as though the driver has said, 'Hang it. I have an Acrod Permit & l intend to exercise my right to use a bay, even if the way l am doing this is an unreasonable & selfish act on my part'.

• Sad
Reactions: Sockjoan

View attachment 33820

Key Takeaways

At my local shopping centre I sometimes see a delivery truck parked in a disabled parking bay.

View attachment 33820

Key Takeaways

apparently one can ignore the disable parking rules as they only apply to council revenue situations.....lip service to the disabled....

Reactions: Ezzy
I have a disability parking displayed on my windscreen. Did any other reader notice that neither of the two legally parked car had their drivers door opening towards the illegally parked car between them? How did this third car prevent the disability driver entering their car? If they needed room at the drivers door for walking frames etc why did they park in such a way to leave room for a third car?
The disabled person may have been the passenger, not necessarily the driver.

At least there were disabled parking spaces. Short supply at my shopping centre used by residents from several nearby large retirement villages. Two weeks before Christmas they deleted 2 of the designated spaces!

Several days ago, I went to Newton mall, and both disabled parking spaces were taken with neither car displaying a disabled permit. There isn't anyone to report this issue to. This selfish, inconsiderate behaviour is seldom monitored. I waited until one driver returned to the car, and asked where his disabled permit was. He was obviously able bodied, and said it was none of my business. When I replied that it was selfish behaviour, he grinned and made a rude gesture, completely unconcerned. Now I take my camera with me, take a photo of the licence plate of any illegally parked cars, and report them. The fine should make drivers who use disabled parking spaces reconsider their behaviour.
👍.

I am a disabled driver and have to have annual assessments to hold my licence.
When isee abke bodied persons parked in designated disable spots it infuriates meas I have to drive around to find either another disabled spot or a suitable one close to where indeed to go. People are selfish and more parkingpatrols are needed to fine those illegally parked.
I would gladly relinquish my parking permit so asto be able to walk long distances ride a push bike climb stairs and any other other activities able bodied people take for granted.
Leave the disabled spots for those who need them. Authorities need to enforce these regulations and fine those who abuse the system.

Zip-tie as many shopping trolleys as you can to the offending vehicle, front & rear, without endangering any other people's vehicles adjacent; might make the offender think twice?
Great idea! Now, all we have to do is wait for Coles, Woolies et al to supply us with bags full of zip ties to get the message across.