Selfish parking act sparks outrage: ‘I struggled to get into my car’

Disabled parking spaces are important in every parking lot. It makes everything accessible as they are near shopping centres, supermarkets, restaurants, etc.

But what would you do if someone parked in between two cars in a disabled parking space?

For 71-year-old John Laine, who completely relies on a walking frame to get around, he was left feeling outraged when he found a vehicle parked in the disability-reserved spot at Campbelltown Mall in Sydney’s southwest.

When he returned to his car, he was shocked by what he witnessed. Someone else had parked their car in between his and the one beside it—-completely blocking the access to his car.

He took photos of the act and posted them on social media.

Screenshot 2023-11-03 at 3.34.34 PM.png
A white car was parked in between John’s and another car in the disabled parking space. Credit: Instagram

‘When I came back, the other two cars were there, and what annoyed me was the fact that the first white car next to me was actually on the dividing line between those two parking bays,’ Laine said.

'I actually use a walking frame to walk, but there was no space. I struggled to get into my car.'

What infuriated him even further was that the white 2008 Daewoo Gentra X had a disability parking permit on display.

Laine informed Campbelltown Council and police regarding the situation, but they replied that it was an issue to be resolved by the shopping centre.

He claimed that the authorities failed to prevent drivers from taking up the extra space in between the disabled parking bays.

He said the authorities have to make sure that disabled parking spaces are not being misused and they should not inconvenience people with disabilities.

Disability activist and award-winning safety speaker James Wood even shared his own story of how he once waited for three hours for a driver to come out of a shopping centre to move their car, which was parked between two disabled parking spaces.

In similar news, a woman exposed an Australia Post driver who was parking in a disabled space in Brisbane. It was seen that the driver had no disability permit displayed in the car, leaving others struggling to find a parking space in the area. Read more about the story here.

According to the NSW Road Rules Act 2014, only people with disabilities are allowed to park in a disability parking spot, and they must hold and display their valid disability parking permit.

Those who don’t have a valid permit are not allowed not park in those areas. Anyone parking illegally may face a fine of $581 and the loss of one demerit point.

They could also face fines of up to $2,200 if the penalty would be contested in local courts.

Key Takeaways
  • An elderly driver, John Laine, was upset by a selfish parking act at Campbelltown Mall, where another driver parked their car in between two disabled spaces.
  • Laine shared photos of the incident online. The car that was parked incorrectly displayed a disability parking permit, which infuriated Laine even further.
  • Laine reported the incident to Campbelltown Council and the police, who said it was an issue for the shopping centre.
  • Disability activist and safety speaker James Wood stated that taking up the space between disability parking spaces is common.

What can you say about this story? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
I am a disabled driver and have to have annual assessments to hold my licence.
When isee abke bodied persons parked in designated disable spots it infuriates meas I have to drive around to find either another disabled spot or a suitable one close to where indeed to go. People are selfish and more parkingpatrols are needed to fine those illegally parked.
I would gladly relinquish my parking permit so asto be able to walk long distances ride a push bike climb stairs and any other other activities able bodied people take for granted.
Leave the disabled spots for those who need them. Authorities need to enforce these regulations and fine those who abuse the system.
I would also give up my permit to be able to walk without pain.

Reactions: Ezzy
I am a disabled driver and have to have annual assessments to hold my licence.
When isee abke bodied persons parked in designated disable spots it infuriates meas I have to drive around to find either another disabled spot or a suitable one close to where indeed to go. People are selfish and more parkingpatrols are needed to fine those illegally parked.
I would gladly relinquish my parking permit so asto be able to walk long distances ride a push bike climb stairs and any other other activities able bodied people take for granted.
Leave the disabled spots for those who need them. Authorities need to enforce these regulations and fine those who abuse the system.
It is the same with my mum. Try getting a wheelchair down the side of the car in a normal carpark.

Great idea! Now, all we have to do is wait for Coles, Woolies et al to supply us with bags full of zip ties to get the message across.
I would gladly supply these if someone needed them just so the erring driver got the message. I would also gladly help with the tying up.

These bays are provided for use by handicapped drivers & should not be used by able bodied, lazy, ignorant people who don't consider the handicapped folk because they believe it is their right to park wherever they wish.

Before illegally using these bays, able-bodied people should bear in mind that one day it could be themselves wanting that bay that another unauthorised driver may be using & think to themself, 'how would l react in this situation?'

must be different in QLD. I once only forgot to show my sticker in our shopping centre and had a ticket issued. It was from the Transport department.

What I hate is you see a person park in a disabled spot, display a disabled sticker, then get out and merrily skip away to spend the hours shopping.

What I hate is you see a person park in a disabled spot, display a disabled sticker, then get out and merrily skip away to spend the hours shopping
you could say that about me, BUT you see people have underlying systems that you do not know about, therefore always think and wonder.