Selfish parking act sparks outrage: ‘I struggled to get into my car’

Disabled parking spaces are important in every parking lot. It makes everything accessible as they are near shopping centres, supermarkets, restaurants, etc.

But what would you do if someone parked in between two cars in a disabled parking space?

For 71-year-old John Laine, who completely relies on a walking frame to get around, he was left feeling outraged when he found a vehicle parked in the disability-reserved spot at Campbelltown Mall in Sydney’s southwest.

When he returned to his car, he was shocked by what he witnessed. Someone else had parked their car in between his and the one beside it—-completely blocking the access to his car.

He took photos of the act and posted them on social media.

Screenshot 2023-11-03 at 3.34.34 PM.png
A white car was parked in between John’s and another car in the disabled parking space. Credit: Instagram

‘When I came back, the other two cars were there, and what annoyed me was the fact that the first white car next to me was actually on the dividing line between those two parking bays,’ Laine said.

'I actually use a walking frame to walk, but there was no space. I struggled to get into my car.'

What infuriated him even further was that the white 2008 Daewoo Gentra X had a disability parking permit on display.

Laine informed Campbelltown Council and police regarding the situation, but they replied that it was an issue to be resolved by the shopping centre.

He claimed that the authorities failed to prevent drivers from taking up the extra space in between the disabled parking bays.

He said the authorities have to make sure that disabled parking spaces are not being misused and they should not inconvenience people with disabilities.

Disability activist and award-winning safety speaker James Wood even shared his own story of how he once waited for three hours for a driver to come out of a shopping centre to move their car, which was parked between two disabled parking spaces.

In similar news, a woman exposed an Australia Post driver who was parking in a disabled space in Brisbane. It was seen that the driver had no disability permit displayed in the car, leaving others struggling to find a parking space in the area. Read more about the story here.

According to the NSW Road Rules Act 2014, only people with disabilities are allowed to park in a disability parking spot, and they must hold and display their valid disability parking permit.

Those who don’t have a valid permit are not allowed not park in those areas. Anyone parking illegally may face a fine of $581 and the loss of one demerit point.

They could also face fines of up to $2,200 if the penalty would be contested in local courts.

Key Takeaways
  • An elderly driver, John Laine, was upset by a selfish parking act at Campbelltown Mall, where another driver parked their car in between two disabled spaces.
  • Laine shared photos of the incident online. The car that was parked incorrectly displayed a disability parking permit, which infuriated Laine even further.
  • Laine reported the incident to Campbelltown Council and the police, who said it was an issue for the shopping centre.
  • Disability activist and safety speaker James Wood stated that taking up the space between disability parking spaces is common.

What can you say about this story? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
Disabled parking spaces are important in every parking lot. It makes everything accessible as they are near shopping centres, supermarkets, restaurants, etc.

But what would you do if someone parked in between two cars in a disabled parking space?

For 71-year-old John Laine, who completely relies on a walking frame to get around, he was left feeling outraged when he found a vehicle parked in the disability-reserved spot at Campbelltown Mall in Sydney’s southwest.

When he returned to his car, he was shocked by what he witnessed. Someone else had parked their car in between his and the one beside it—-completely blocking the access to his car.

View attachment 33820
A white car was parked in between John’s and another car in the disabled parking space. Credit: Instagram

‘When I came back, the other two cars were there, and what annoyed me was the fact that the first white car next to me was actually on the dividing line between those two parking bays,’ Laine said.

'I actually use a walking frame to walk, but there was no space. I struggled to get into my car.'

What infuriated him even further was that the white 2008 Daewoo Gentra X had a disability parking permit on display.

Laine informed Campbelltown Council and police regarding the situation, but they replied that it was an issue to be resolved by the shopping centre.

He claimed that the authorities failed to prevent drivers from taking up the extra space in between the disabled parking bays.

He said the authorities have to make sure that disabled parking spaces are not being misused and they should not inconvenience people with disabilities.

Disability activist and award-winning safety speaker James Wood even shared his own story of how he once waited for three hours for a driver to come out of a shopping centre to move their car, which was parked between two disabled parking spaces.

In similar news, a woman exposed an Australia Post driver who was parking in a disabled space in Brisbane. It was seen that the driver had no disability permit displayed in the car, leaving others struggling to find a parking space in the area. Read more about the story here.

According to the NSW Road Rules Act 2014, only people with disabilities are allowed to park in a disability parking spot, and they must hold and display their valid disability parking permit.

Those who don’t have a valid permit are not allowed not park in those areas. Anyone parking illegally may face a fine of $581 and the loss of one demerit point.

They could also face fines of up to $2,200 if the penalty would be contested in local courts.

Key Takeaways

• An elderly driver, John Laine, was upset by a selfish parking act at Campbelltown Mall, where another driver parked their car in between two disabled spaces.
  • Laine shared photos of the incident online. The car that was parked incorrectly displayed a disability parking permit, which infuriated Laine even further.
  • Laine reported the incident to Campbelltown Council and the police, who said it was an issue for the shopping centre.
  • Disability activist and safety speaker James Wood stated that taking up the space between disability parking spaces is common.

If the original two disabled cars were parked correctly, this could not happen.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: Ricci and siameezer

View attachment 33820

Key Takeaways

The first thing to do would be to contact centre management and get security to come to the car park - before he left. Second, I would have put a notice on their windscreen letting them know that they are illegally parked, even with a disabled permit. That their lack of consideration had made it almost impossible for him to get into his car. We have a diabled daughter in a wheelchair. I used to carry small stickersthat I would put on their windscreen right in their eyeline when sitting in the car.

Reactions: Ricci

View attachment 33820

Key Takeaways

It’s my hate act. Bloody privileged

It depends which side of the car the disabled person has to get out of. They are parked correctly, they are within the parking area. If you need to bring a wheelchair to the passenger side - more room is needed to be able to get out of the car. Note - it is the passenger sides that have more room. The white car in the middle is in the wrong.

• Love

View attachment 33820

Key Takeaways

Not unusual but invairably a motor cycle

View attachment 33820

Key Takeaways

I have seen this happen at my local plaza and my Son in Law was able to climb into the car needed at the time we were going past and reversed it out for the owner. Also took a photo and sent it to Plaza Management. The middle car in our situation was not flagged as disabled.

View attachment 33820

Key Takeaways

Several days ago, I went to Newton mall, and both disabled parking spaces were taken with neither car displaying a disabled permit. There isn't anyone to report this issue to. This selfish, inconsiderate behaviour is seldom monitored. I waited until one driver returned to the car, and asked where his disabled permit was. He was obviously able bodied, and said it was none of my business. When I replied that it was selfish behaviour, he grinned and made a rude gesture, completely unconcerned. Now I take my camera with me, take a photo of the licence plate of any illegally parked cars, and report them. The fine should make drivers who use disabled parking spaces reconsider their behaviour.

• Love

View attachment 33820

Key Takeaways

Happens all the time in Bass Hill. A friend of mine reminded a young man coming out of the gym he had no disability sign on his illegally parked car & was promptly threatened with violence for doing so!

Whilst I agree with disabled parking places for the legit. ones that need it I find all three of these cars in the wrong. The dark coloured car should have parked as near as possible in the middle of his allocated space then the white car on the other side should have done so as well. Then there would not have been room between for any car to squeeze in. These parking spaces are always larger than regular spaces to accommodate people on frames etc. so parking in the middle or as near to the middle as possible is no issue.
Well, firstly the whole space is for the one disabled car space. How do you no which side of the car the disabled person needs access in and out of. The person parking in-between is totally inconsiderate and selfish.

Whilst I agree with disabled parking places for the legit. ones that need it I find all three of these cars in the wrong. The dark coloured car should have parked as near as possible in the middle of his allocated space then the white car on the other side should have done so as well. Then there would not have been room between for any car to squeeze in. These parking spaces are always larger than regular spaces to accommodate people on frames etc. so parking in the middle or as near to the middle as possible is no issue.
Many disabled people need additional space to load/unload equipment such as wheelchairs and, in this case, walking frames. It is why these cars are not parked in the middle of the space, and shouldn't need to be. This is simply a case of ignorance of other disabled people's needs by the middle car, who obviously doesn't require such equipment. A good idea might be to include a no-parking loading zone defined by white diagonal lines between disabled parking spaces (i.e where the third car parked).

They ARE parked correctly. Many disabled people need additional space to load/unload equipment such as wheelchairs and, in this case, walking frames. It is why these cars are not parked in the middle of the space, and shouldn't need to be. This is simply a case of ignorance of other disabled people's needs by the middle car, who obviously doesn't require such equipment. A good idea might be to include a no-parking loading zone defined by white diagonal lines between disabled parking spaces (i.e where the third car parked).

Reactions: siameezer

View attachment 33820

Key Takeaways

This once happened to my late husband who was in a weelchair. At least I could back the car out to get him in the car. Also it was in a hospital car park.

A lot of real estate being taken up there for 2 car spots. The complainant should be parking their car in the middle of the allocated spot. If the local council isn't given the right to issue parking tickets on PRIVATE land, then it's something to take up with the centre management, which I guarantee will just be 'we're sorry, it's wrong' end of story. but also be prepared for the issuing of tickets for excessive overstaying allocated time. The other car also had a disabled parking permit, take it up with that driver. Not an issue that needs to be aired on a public forum via a cut and paste from social media.
how about getting in and out of a car when you need a walker. come on it is common sense some need more space on the drivers side. anyway it was wrong and not legal, end of story and excuses.

View attachment 33820

Key Takeaways

Let their tyres down,some people have NO SCRUPLES OR COMPASSION for anyone,just born selfish.

Something like this might fix ALL issues around disabled parking spots. A marked loading zone between spaces defined by diagonal 'NO PARKING' lines, PLUS a HELP button for assistance when needed, INCLUDING reporting illegally parked vehicles.

Attachments

• disabled parking.jpg
    disabled parking.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 0
Leave a note
To which, in reply, the offending driver would no doubt leave a photocopy of a hand with two fingers extended or -- in these days of Strayan Yankeefiedness -- a pic of a hand with just the middle finger out.

View attachment 33820

Key Takeaways