Selfish parking act sparks outrage: ‘I struggled to get into my car’

Disabled parking spaces are important in every parking lot. It makes everything accessible as they are near shopping centres, supermarkets, restaurants, etc.

But what would you do if someone parked in between two cars in a disabled parking space?

For 71-year-old John Laine, who completely relies on a walking frame to get around, he was left feeling outraged when he found a vehicle parked in the disability-reserved spot at Campbelltown Mall in Sydney’s southwest.

When he returned to his car, he was shocked by what he witnessed. Someone else had parked their car in between his and the one beside it—-completely blocking the access to his car.

He took photos of the act and posted them on social media.

Screenshot 2023-11-03 at 3.34.34 PM.png
A white car was parked in between John’s and another car in the disabled parking space. Credit: Instagram

‘When I came back, the other two cars were there, and what annoyed me was the fact that the first white car next to me was actually on the dividing line between those two parking bays,’ Laine said.

'I actually use a walking frame to walk, but there was no space. I struggled to get into my car.'

What infuriated him even further was that the white 2008 Daewoo Gentra X had a disability parking permit on display.

Laine informed Campbelltown Council and police regarding the situation, but they replied that it was an issue to be resolved by the shopping centre.

He claimed that the authorities failed to prevent drivers from taking up the extra space in between the disabled parking bays.

He said the authorities have to make sure that disabled parking spaces are not being misused and they should not inconvenience people with disabilities.

Disability activist and award-winning safety speaker James Wood even shared his own story of how he once waited for three hours for a driver to come out of a shopping centre to move their car, which was parked between two disabled parking spaces.

In similar news, a woman exposed an Australia Post driver who was parking in a disabled space in Brisbane. It was seen that the driver had no disability permit displayed in the car, leaving others struggling to find a parking space in the area. Read more about the story here.

According to the NSW Road Rules Act 2014, only people with disabilities are allowed to park in a disability parking spot, and they must hold and display their valid disability parking permit.

Those who don’t have a valid permit are not allowed not park in those areas. Anyone parking illegally may face a fine of $581 and the loss of one demerit point.

They could also face fines of up to $2,200 if the penalty would be contested in local courts.

Key Takeaways
  • An elderly driver, John Laine, was upset by a selfish parking act at Campbelltown Mall, where another driver parked their car in between two disabled spaces.
  • Laine shared photos of the incident online. The car that was parked incorrectly displayed a disability parking permit, which infuriated Laine even further.
  • Laine reported the incident to Campbelltown Council and the police, who said it was an issue for the shopping centre.
  • Disability activist and safety speaker James Wood stated that taking up the space between disability parking spaces is common.

What can you say about this story? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
Disabled parking spaces are important in every parking lot. It makes everything accessible as they are near shopping centres, supermarkets, restaurants, etc.

But what would you do if someone parked in between two cars in a disabled parking space?

For 71-year-old John Laine, who completely relies on a walking frame to get around, he was left feeling outraged when he found a vehicle parked in the disability-reserved spot at Campbelltown Mall in Sydney’s southwest.

When he returned to his car, he was shocked by what he witnessed. Someone else had parked their car in between his and the one beside it—-completely blocking the access to his car.

View attachment 33820
A white car was parked in between John’s and another car in the disabled parking space. Credit: Instagram

‘When I came back, the other two cars were there, and what annoyed me was the fact that the first white car next to me was actually on the dividing line between those two parking bays,’ Laine said.

'I actually use a walking frame to walk, but there was no space. I struggled to get into my car.'

What infuriated him even further was that the white 2008 Daewoo Gentra X had a disability parking permit on display.

Laine informed Campbelltown Council and police regarding the situation, but they replied that it was an issue to be resolved by the shopping centre.

He claimed that the authorities failed to prevent drivers from taking up the extra space in between the disabled parking bays.

He said the authorities have to make sure that disabled parking spaces are not being misused and they should not inconvenience people with disabilities.

Disability activist and award-winning safety speaker James Wood even shared his own story of how he once waited for three hours for a driver to come out of a shopping centre to move their car, which was parked between two disabled parking spaces.

In similar news, a woman exposed an Australia Post driver who was parking in a disabled space in Brisbane. It was seen that the driver had no disability permit displayed in the car, leaving others struggling to find a parking space in the area. Read more about the story here.

According to the NSW Road Rules Act 2014, only people with disabilities are allowed to park in a disability parking spot, and they must hold and display their valid disability parking permit.

Those who don’t have a valid permit are not allowed not park in those areas. Anyone parking illegally may face a fine of $581 and the loss of one demerit point.

They could also face fines of up to $2,200 if the penalty would be contested in local courts.

Key Takeaways

• An elderly driver, John Laine, was upset by a selfish parking act at Campbelltown Mall, where another driver parked their car in between two disabled spaces.
  • Laine shared photos of the incident online. The car that was parked incorrectly displayed a disability parking permit, which infuriated Laine even further.
  • Laine reported the incident to Campbelltown Council and the police, who said it was an issue for the shopping centre.
  • Disability activist and safety speaker James Wood stated that taking up the space between disability parking spaces is common.

Revolting people, these cars need to be towed Immediately by the centre they are illegally parked in

View attachment 33820

Key Takeaways

I to park in a disabled spot and yes, there are many people who think this is ok to do such things, after all we are only old farts anyway. What are those 2 words that have been removed from the dictionary? Oh yes, respect and manners!!

Whilst I agree with disabled parking places for the legit. ones that need it I find all three of these cars in the wrong. The dark coloured car should have parked as near as possible in the middle of his allocated space then the white car on the other side should have done so as well. Then there would not have been room between for any car to squeeze in. These parking spaces are always larger than regular spaces to accommodate people on frames etc. so parking in the middle or as near to the middle as possible is no issue.

There are 2 spaces for 2 cars for people with disabilities. The white car should not have parked in the middle of the other 2 cars even though they had the space to do so. The one in the middle should lose their parking permit for a while, I mean how dare they and they of all people should know better. How selfish can you get? If there's not a disabled park available then its not available - drive on!

A lot of real estate being taken up there for 2 car spots. The complainant should be parking their car in the middle of the allocated spot. If the local council isn't given the right to issue parking tickets on PRIVATE land, then it's something to take up with the centre management, which I guarantee will just be 'we're sorry, it's wrong' end of story. but also be prepared for the issuing of tickets for excessive overstaying allocated time. The other car also had a disabled parking permit, take it up with that driver. Not an issue that needs to be aired on a public forum via a cut and paste from social media.

Please tell me why the number plate couldn't be shown? Or might it be one of those popular "alleged" incidents? Did it happen, or didn't it happen? What possible excuse could be used to deny it?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci

View attachment 33820

Key Takeaways

I have a disability permit, a week ago I was savagely abused for parking in a disabled parked spot, I told him I had a permit then he continued on saying I wasnt disabled and shouldn't have one. I was Very shaken by the ordeal it was just awful to be spoken to like that. Wendy

I have a disability parking displayed on my windscreen. Did any other reader notice that neither of the two legally parked car had their drivers door opening towards the illegally parked car between them? How did this third car prevent the disability driver entering their car? If they needed room at the drivers door for walking frames etc why did they park in such a way to leave room for a third car?

View attachment 33820

Key Takeaways

happens in Bundy all the time. I often find that I can't get my walker between my helper's car and the one jammed next to us. We have to wait until a car either side of us moves so we can also then I can get out. Similar thing in a car park next to supermarket a few weeks ago. I was going for a trolley when woman in 4x4 yelled abuse at me "get the F out of our car park". I was on my disability scooter.

Whilst I agree with disabled parking places for the legit. ones that need it I find all three of these cars in the wrong. The dark coloured car should have parked as near as possible in the middle of his allocated space then the white car on the other side should have done so as well. Then there would not have been room between for any car to squeeze in. These parking spaces are always larger than regular spaces to accommodate people on frames etc. so parking in the middle or as near to the middle as possible i

Whilst I agree with disabled parking places for the legit. ones that need it I find all three of these cars in the wrong. The dark coloured car should have parked as near as possible in the middle of his allocated space then the white car on the other side should have done so as well. Then there would not have been room between for any car to squeeze in. These parking spaces are always larger than regular spaces to accommodate people on frames etc. so parking in the middle or as near to the middle as possible is no issue.
Why should they park in the middle of the space? The space is left large enough to enable the disabled person to have their walking frame or wheelchair brought up to their door for easy egress & use of their aid. Otherwise we do not need extra space for every disabled driver. I use walking sticks to assist me in walking the short distance I am able to cover so often will park in a normal parking space if there is one close enough so I can leave the disabled space for people with greater need of space. However, when I had my mother who used a walking frame, then I needed the extra space provided to get her & her walking frame out of the car with safety.

Sometimes you need more space on one side for larger wheelchairs etc. My husband parks closer to one side to give me extra room to manoeuvre.

View attachment 33820

Key Takeaways

what about all the shopping centres converting disability parking spots over to red parent with prams bays,and shoppig centres with parking bays next to return bays for shopping trolleys,hoping the trolleys will overflow in to a disabled bay with much success

A lot of real estate being taken up there for 2 car spots. The complainant should be parking their car in the middle of the allocated spot. If the local council isn't given the right to issue parking tickets on PRIVATE land, then it's something to take up with the centre management, which I guarantee will just be 'we're sorry, it's wrong' end of story. but also be prepared for the issuing of tickets for excessive overstaying allocated time. The other car also had a disabled parking permit, take it up with that driver. Not an issue that needs to be aired on a public forum via a cut and paste from social media.
How selfish can you be? A lot of real estate being taken up? Obviously you have never had the need to get a disabled person from the passenger side of the car to their walking frame or wheelchair or you would understand the need of this much space. Some drivers can also have a wheelchair which lifts to the roof of their car & they need the space to bring it to the ground so they can get on to the seat.

I do believe you are quite wrong in your assumption of how a car with legitimate parking displayed must park. They DO NOT have to park in the middle of the bay. It depends on who is the person with the disability. If the Driver is the one with disability then he/she would need to park closer on the passenger’s side allowing him/her space to remove himself/herself from the car with room and/or remove his walking frame etc from either the inside of the car or to be able to use a cane easily, or open the door FULLY to get out. Opposite applies in the case of disabled passenger - more room is required on passenger side so parking space would need to be adjusted to accommodate the disabled passenger.

THERE IS NO EXCUSE WHATSOEVER FOR THE MIDDLE CAR IN THE PICTURE TO PARK THERE just because there was space, and park over a dividing line at that! The space the offending car is parked in is for the person with the disability to access either driver’s side or passenger’s side with ease. And it also depends on reverse or forward parking. In the picture one car owner/driver with disability is parked rear in while other car is parked front in.

Did you not read that the white car HAD a disability sign displayed?? AND Because YOU cannot see it displayed on the dark car does not mean it was not there. It could have been lying on the dashboard in full view. IN ANY CASE A DISABLED PARKING SPACE IS FOR ONE AND ONLY ONE REASON - to give access to a person with a disability, and with a permit to do so. And I believe it is for confidentiality purposes that the number plates have been blurred out.

I have been at Campbelltown Mall
And have seen council officers booking cars in disabled spots quite a few times

How selfish can you be? A lot of real estate being taken up? Obviously you have never had the need to get a disabled person from the passenger side of the car to their walking frame or wheelchair or you would understand the need of this much space. Some drivers can also have a wheelchair which lifts to the roof of their car & they need the space to bring it to the ground so they can get on to the seat.
Absolutely agree with you, Elaine41. The reply you refer to is a very selfish one with no regard for the disabled person.