Can't agree more with your sentiments. I'd go one step further and post it to the
CEO's of those companies you cited.
Personally, I don't use self service checkouts, if I want a job as a checkout assistant, I'll apply for one!

This post is just a retyped copy of something that has been going around for ages now. Wish people would stop complaining either way about something so petty

And you make us queue at them as well... I had one net of avocadoes and went to the cashier, no queue!!!! ...skipping the self check out queue.... (yes people were directed to them)

I just don't get why people keep complaining about self serve but continue to use them. I was in my woollies last Friday and there were people waiting to use the self-serve but very few using the manned check outs. It's the few entitled ones who need to complain because they have nothing better to do.
I think self service checkouts have there place but assisted checkouts also need to be available for customers who prefer these.

I agree, but lately Coles has begun installing 'security gates' at the exit of their checkout section and one has to show their receipts and have their purchases verified before these gates will open! I've had them frequently close on me as I pass through on my mobility scooter even though I've verified I've paid, and I know of people pushing prams etc who've had similar experiences. So YES bring back staffed checkouts as obviously you don't trust the plethora of cameras and other detection devices you have installed at the self checkouts, let alone that the majority of your customers do the right thing in the first place. I HAVE NO ISSUE QUEUING FOR MANNED CHECKOUTS WE QUEUE FOR SELF SERVE ONES TOO! AND THEN HAVE TO PROVE WE'VE PAID BY QUEUING AGAIN!

I agree that self service is not the way to go. I flatly refuse to use such things and would rather have to wait for a person to check my goods out. They should have enough staff to check people out without having to wait for half an hour or more to do so.

Today I attended Woolies at Penrith High St. I used the self embarrass checkout. First, I put my bags on the packing section, problem assistant required to check my empty bags. Too heavy says the assistant.
put them on one at a time! Duh.
Proceeded to complete the purchase, the overhead camera could tell the difference between bananas with red wax, tell the difference between Button, Flat and Swiss Brown mushrooms. But when it came time to pay, you guessed it, the camera could not tell that the highly labled bag advertising another store.
Assistant required!
The STUPID assistant says quaote "You should hold the other bag that way the camera won't bother". WHERE THE F*** AM I SUPPOSED TO HOLD THE OTHER BAG WHILE PACKING THE OVER WIEGHT BAGS AND PSAYING FOR THEM?

• Haha
Reactions: Vinylted
I so agree with you. I DON'T WORK FOR THE SUPERMARKET, I AM A CUSTOMER. SERVE ME, WITH A SMILE 😃.
So you leave your groceries in your trolley,if you are not served and leave the store without putting them back. All meat & cold foods will be thrown away if you leave your trolley. Shame on you, we already pay enough for our groceries and this only increases prices.

My local ALDI store installed self serve checkouts a short time ago, I noticed a few days ago 5 empty machines and the two open service checkouts had a queue of people at each. I had a small $3.99 item and wasn't prepared to wait at the back of a long queue of laden trolleys, so I used self service..... Aldi's would have made a loss on that transaction!:D

How could you be forced to use a self serve, don't believe it.
HOW ARE YOU FORCED TO USE A SELF SERVE - you walk into the shop after you notice that 1 or 2 manned tellers are still open. You do your shopping. You go to check out your shopping trolley and GUESS WHAT the only check out's that are open now are the STUPID self-served. This makes me so angry as I entered your shop in good faith that I can use a manned check out. Your shop has now forced me into use a self-served teller. I DONT & WILL NOT use the self served tellers.

Reactions: Robbo3006
My local Woolworths have just installed more self serve checkouts because they can’t recruit enough new people to work for them and customers were demanding more self service as they were annoyed by having to wait in a queue to be served. This came from a couple of people who man the checkouts. I was surprised but then I shop online, it’s my husband who doesn’t mind I store shopping. He’s not bothered about having to use a self serve checkout either.
I call bs on that reply, maybe the staff were told to say that.

I just don't get why people keep complaining about self serve but continue to use them. I was in my woollies last Friday and there were people waiting to use the self-serve but very few using the manned check outs. It's the few entitled ones who need to complain because they have nothing better to do.
Cause it does young kids out of jobs

I have never used and don't intent to use self checkouts, for just that reason. Computers have taken over to many jobs already. There comes a time when you say no more.

I am 79 years old. Whether we like it or not change happens. Think back even 20 years ago how much has changed and we have gone along with it because there was no choice. We have survived. I learned to use the self serve checkouts because I didn't want to be standing there one day with no choice and no idea what to do. I like them and use them whenever I can. Some customer service humans are as faceless as machines. As for the jobs, a lot of businesses can't get workers nowadays because why would you work when the government will pay you for not working. Okay so its not such a good payment as one you could work for but God forbid that might entail getting up and going to work everyday. It doesn't matter what happens in the world there will always be someone to complain about something. Yes I complain , I don't like dogs being put in a trolley or walked around a Bunnings store so I don't go to Bunnings I have chosen to go to another hardware store. I also love dogs, I have two but they stay home when I shop anywhere, even if it's for them, they don't get to choose their coats or food.

• Love
Reactions: PattiB
I call bs on that reply, maybe the staff were told to say that.
Maybe or maybe not. The lady who told my husband has been a friend for years & is always honest in expressing her feelings on whatever is going on. There haven’t been any new young faces at the store for ages. Sometimes things happen and isn’t some sort of conspiracy by the supermarkets, banks or governments! At present self serve checkouts are here so we have to either deal with them or ignore them. How do people manage at airports when confronted with self check in & print your own baggage labels?

Reactions: Robbo3006
Maybe or maybe not. The lady who told my husband has been a friend for years & is always honest in expressing her feelings on whatever is going on. There haven’t been any new young faces at the store for ages. Sometimes things happen and isn’t some sort of conspiracy by the supermarkets, banks or governments! At present self serve checkouts are here so we have to either deal with them or ignore them. How do people manage at airports when confronted with self check in & print your own baggage labels?
I don't comply, get them to print it for you.

I don't comply, get them to print it for you.
As I usually do a direct to boot order I’m totally uninterested in what happens in store. It’s my husband who goes into Woolworths & he can use a self service checkout if needed so it’s not a problem for either of us. We actually have real problems to worry about & checkouts are at the bottom of the list.