See the ridiculous exchange between a woman and her Medibank agent: 'The service is atrocious'

Disclaimer: Names with an asterisk (*) beside them have been changed to protect the person's identity.

Navigating the labyrinth of health insurance policies can be a daunting task, especially when you decide to cancel your policy.

This is the case of one Medibank customer who revealed a frustrating exchange that has left many Australians questioning the ease of cancelling their health insurance policies.

Annie*'s ordeal began on 30 December when she contacted Medibank via its chat function to cancel her private health insurance.

Her reason? A series of disappointing customer service experiences.

compressed-shutterstock_2225610185.jpeg
Annie* had a difficult time cancelling her Medibank policy. Credit: Shutterstock

Annie* expressed her frustration, stating, 'Every time I have to contact Medibank with an issue, it never gets resolved on the spot.’

‘The chat service is atrocious, with long wait times and agents seemingly juggling multiple chats at once.'

The Medibank agent responded, explaining: ‘Our service here today is a messaging service and not live chat.’

The agent assured Annie* that her cancellation request would be forwarded to the relevant team for processing.

However, the agent also mentioned that Annie* would be contacted within five business days, a response that left Annie* requesting a reference number and explicitly stating her wish not to be contacted by Medibank's customer retention team.

The agent replied, ‘I have put a copy of your request not to be contacted and for the policy to be closed.’

Fast forward to 10 January, Annie* found herself back on Medibank's live chat, seeking confirmation of her policy cancellation ahead of her monthly direct debit due the following day.

This time, the agent asked her to explain her reasons for cancellation, which she repeatedly said that it was due to the company’s bad customer service, and informed her that she would need to receive a call from an agent within the next two to three business days to finalise the cancellation.

‘This is ridiculous,’ Annie* wrote.

‘I specifically asked that your retention team NOT call me.’

Annie's* frustration was palpable as she reiterated her request for cancellation and her desire not to be contacted by the retention team.

When she threatened to take her complaint to the ombudsman, the agent replied: ‘Sorry, but in this case, while Medibank does encourage our members to refer their complaints to the ombudsman if they are unsatisfied with the outcome, we would like the opportunity to deal with this as a formal complaint on an internal basis first.’

'Just CANCEL my policies! Why is that hard for you to understand?' she responded.

The conversation ended with Annie* pointing out the inconsistencies between the information provided by the two agents and expressing her frustration at Medibank's internal processes.

Screenshot 2024-01-22 at 10.42.48 AM.png
Annie’s* cancellation took longer than expected. Credit: news.com.au

The Medibank agent wrote, ‘In order for us to cancel your policy, we need to endorse this to our consultant’s team to assess this first, and this is our normal process of cancellation [SIC],’ and insisted that a phone call was required.

Annie's* experience highlighted the potential difficulties customers may face when cancelling their health insurance policies.

She pointed out that Medibank’s ‘internal processes and systems are for you to manage’.

‘You can’t use that as an excuse to deny your customer’s request to cancel,’ she said.

'They make it very easy to sign up but hard to cancel,’ labelling the interactions 'ridiculous stonewalling'.

Following this conversation, Annie* said that she has since called Medibank and believes that her policy has been cancelled. She has now joined a different health insurer.

In response to the incident, a Medibank spokesperson apologised for the delay in cancelling Annie's* policy.

‘We’re sorry for the delay in cancelling the customer’s policy,’ the spokesperson said.

‘This was a case of human error which can happen from time to time.’

‘This is not the experience we want for our customers.’

‘When a customer contacts us to cancel their policy, we have processes in place to ensure it is done in a timely manner.’

The spokesperson added, ‘When the customer contacted us last week about the delay, we cancelled the policy and backdated it to the original date that was requested.’

‘We also reimbursed the January premium so that the customer was not out of pocket.’

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) states that unreasonable barriers to cancelling contracts or subscriptions can raise concerns under Australian Consumer Law.

Businesses must clearly disclose any key terms within their contracts to consumers upfront, such as those relating to cancellation.

Medibank also received backlash a few months ago when the insurance company suffered from a data breach.

Millions of Australians had their personal data exposed, including a Byron Bay resident. She mentioned that after Medibank’s data breach, her PayPal account was hacked, making her feel ‘extremely vulnerable and violated’. You can read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways
  • An irate Medibank customer encountered 'ridiculous stonewalling' while trying to cancel her policy, leading to frustration over the lengthy process.
  • The customer's cancellation request through chat services was met with delays and a requirement for a call from Medibank's consultant team despite requests not to be contacted by the retention team.
  • After persistence and the threat of taking the complaint to the ombudsman, the customer believes her policy was finally cancelled, and she has since joined a rival insurer.
  • Medibank apologised for the delay, attributing it to human error, and assured that they have processes to ensure timely cancellations, adding that the customer's January premium was also reimbursed.
Have you experienced the same situation in Medibank or any other companies? Share your experiences with us in the comments below!

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: Liag and Liz
Sponsored
I had the same problem with BUPA, a company I had been with since I started work in the 1970's. I did a comparison of other companies and found one that at that time would save me $800 a year. So I changed and got a nasty phone call from BUPA asking all the why's etc was I changing. I was honest with the salesman but he was so rude and told me I was a fool for changing (his words not mine). Made me feel terrible but I still changed.

I have always rung around and compared prices and when I found a better deal with AHM ( medibanks sister ) I rang to cancel Medibank and was told it was done but 3 weeks later another payment was taken out ,but to be honest the same thing happened with HCF.

My question is, why didn't she want to receive a call from them ? I would have just to make sure it was cancelled.

If you do happen to use the comparison price site, please realise they do not check all health insurers. The did not have teachers Health to compare as well as other funds from different employers. But they do cancel your previous policy for you

Reactions: Jarred Santos
I watched an interesting show on Stan - The Undeclared War - an interesting insight into cyber hackers.

I had an incident 20 years ago when my husband passed away. I wanted to cancel the insurance on the family car which was auto paid monthly. Was told that couldn't be does until they had a copy of the death certificate and probate. A visit to the bank fixed that.

I had an incident 20 years ago when my husband passed away. I wanted to cancel the insurance on the family car which was auto paid monthly. Was told that couldn't be does until they had a copy of the death certificate and probate. A visit to the bank fixed that.
Same problem I had. Couldn't cancel, mobile phone account without sending certificate. Just cancelled the payment. That only works if your account is joint though. Warning to others, don't get caught with accounts in one name.

Disclaimer: Names with an asterisk (*) beside them have been changed to protect the person's identity.

Navigating the labyrinth of health insurance policies can be a daunting task, especially when you decide to cancel your policy.

This is the case of one Medibank customer who revealed a frustrating exchange that has left many Australians questioning the ease of cancelling their health insurance policies.

Annie*'s ordeal began on 30 December when she contacted Medibank via its chat function to cancel her private health insurance.

Her reason? A series of disappointing customer service experiences.

View attachment 39662
Annie* had a difficult time cancelling her Medibank policy. Credit: Shutterstock

Annie* expressed her frustration, stating, 'Every time I have to contact Medibank with an issue, it never gets resolved on the spot.’

‘The chat service is atrocious, with long wait times and agents seemingly juggling multiple chats at once.'

The Medibank agent responded, explaining: ‘Our service here today is a messaging service and not live chat.’

The agent assured Annie* that her cancellation request would be forwarded to the relevant team for processing.

However, the agent also mentioned that Annie* would be contacted within five business days, a response that left Annie* requesting a reference number and explicitly stating her wish not to be contacted by Medibank's customer retention team.

The agent replied, ‘I have put a copy of your request not to be contacted and for the policy to be closed.’

Fast forward to 10 January, Annie* found herself back on Medibank's live chat, seeking confirmation of her policy cancellation ahead of her monthly direct debit due the following day.

This time, the agent asked her to explain her reasons for cancellation, which she repeatedly said that it was due to the company’s bad customer service, and informed her that she would need to receive a call from an agent within the next two to three business days to finalise the cancellation.

‘This is ridiculous,’ Annie* wrote.

‘I specifically asked that your retention team NOT call me.’

Annie's* frustration was palpable as she reiterated her request for cancellation and her desire not to be contacted by the retention team.

When she threatened to take her complaint to the ombudsman, the agent replied: ‘Sorry, but in this case, while Medibank does encourage our members to refer their complaints to the ombudsman if they are unsatisfied with the outcome, we would like the opportunity to deal with this as a formal complaint on an internal basis first.’

'Just CANCEL my policies! Why is that hard for you to understand?' she responded.

The conversation ended with Annie* pointing out the inconsistencies between the information provided by the two agents and expressing her frustration at Medibank's internal processes.

View attachment 39663
Annie’s* cancellation took longer than expected. Credit: news.com.au

The Medibank agent wrote, ‘In order for us to cancel your policy, we need to endorse this to our consultant’s team to assess this first, and this is our normal process of cancellation [SIC],’ and insisted that a phone call was required.

Annie's* experience highlighted the potential difficulties customers may face when cancelling their health insurance policies.

She pointed out that Medibank’s ‘internal processes and systems are for you to manage’.

‘You can’t use that as an excuse to deny your customer’s request to cancel,’ she said.

'They make it very easy to sign up but hard to cancel,’ labelling the interactions 'ridiculous stonewalling'.

Following this conversation, Annie* said that she has since called Medibank and believes that her policy has been cancelled. She has now joined a different health insurer.

In response to the incident, a Medibank spokesperson apologised for the delay in cancelling Annie's* policy.

‘We’re sorry for the delay in cancelling the customer’s policy,’ the spokesperson said.

‘This was a case of human error which can happen from time to time.’

‘This is not the experience we want for our customers.’

‘When a customer contacts us to cancel their policy, we have processes in place to ensure it is done in a timely manner.’

The spokesperson added, ‘When the customer contacted us last week about the delay, we cancelled the policy and backdated it to the original date that was requested.’

‘We also reimbursed the January premium so that the customer was not out of pocket.’

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) states that unreasonable barriers to cancelling contracts or subscriptions can raise concerns under Australian Consumer Law.

Businesses must clearly disclose any key terms within their contracts to consumers upfront, such as those relating to cancellation.

Medibank also received backlash a few months ago when the insurance company suffered from a data breach.

Millions of Australians had their personal data exposed, including a Byron Bay resident. She mentioned that after Medibank’s data breach, her PayPal account was hacked, making her feel ‘extremely vulnerable and violated’. You can read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways

• An irate Medibank customer encountered 'ridiculous stonewalling' while trying to cancel her policy, leading to frustration over the lengthy process.
  • The customer's cancellation request through chat services was met with delays and a requirement for a call from Medibank's consultant team despite requests not to be contacted by the retention team.
  • After persistence and the threat of taking the complaint to the ombudsman, the customer believes her policy was finally cancelled, and she has since joined a rival insurer.
  • Medibank apologised for the delay, attributing it to human error, and assured that they have processes to ensure timely cancellations, adding that the customer's January premium was also reimbursed.
Have you experienced the same situation in Medibank or any other companies? Share your experiences with us in the comments below!
Doesn't matter what the service is, or the reason for wanting cancellation, it ain't rocket science. The reason given was poor customer service. In her case, the wish to cancel only highlighted the situation for her.
When I have had to cancel services or providers that are on direct debit, the first thing I do is go to my bank and stop the direct debit. Then, the provider does not hesitate to contact me if the payment won't go through.
In this digital age, one of the things I miss the most is the ability to voice my concerns face to face, over a counter.
Maybe I am just old fashioned.

Reactions: Liz and IAN3005
Doesn't matter what the service is, or the reason for wanting cancellation, it ain't rocket science. The reason given was poor customer service. In her case, the wish to cancel only highlighted the situation for her.
When I have had to cancel services or providers that are on direct debit, the first thing I do is go to my bank and stop the direct debit. Then, the provider does not hesitate to contact me if the payment won't go through.
In this digital age, one of the things I miss the most is the ability to voice my concerns face to face, over a counter.
Maybe I am just old fashioned.
Not at all... the service in most companies is diabolical.... you get better service in a 3rd world country.

Reactions: MariaG
I had the same problem with BUPA, a company I had been with since I started work in the 1970's. I did a comparison of other companies and found one that at that time would save me $800 a year. So I changed and got a nasty phone call from BUPA asking all the why's etc was I changing. I was honest with the salesman but he was so rude and told me I was a fool for changing (his words not mine). Made me feel terrible but I still changed.
My husband and I have been with Bupa since the 1970's and are seriously thinking of changing, their premiums are ridiculously priced and there is absolutely nothing for loyalty. May I ask who you changed to?

Really? Which 3rd World Countries would they be?
Thailand for one... I went to attend the examination of our son and I thought I was walking into the Ritz hotel.... perfectly organised, the staff were immaculately dressed in the traditional garb. Half a day we walked out with X-rays and a complete rundown in writing of every blood test.. try and get that in Australia and whistle Dixie.

• Wow
Reactions: Seia Ibanez
My husband and I have been with Bupa since the 1970's and are seriously thinking of changing, their premiums are ridiculously priced and there is absolutely nothing for loyalty. May I ask who you changed to?
Changed to HCF but they are getting ridiciously expensive as well.

Reactions: IAN3005