SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #56 - 20/07/2023

Question 1: When was the Australian Football League (AFL) founded?

The Australian Football League, originally named the Victorian Football League (VFL), was founded in 1897. The league went through a major expansion in the 1980s and 1990s, eventually becoming the AFL in 1990.

Question 2: The Mona Lisa, a famous portrait by Leonardo da Vinci, features a woman with which mysterious facial expression?

The Mona Lisa's enigmatic smile has been a subject of fascination and debate for centuries. It is believed that the woman depicted in the portrait is Lisa Gherardini, the wife of a Florentine merchant.

Question 3: In Greek mythology, who was the god of war?

Ares is known as the god of war in Greek mythology, representing the violence and chaos of warfare. His Roman counterpart is Mars, who became more associated with the disciplined aspect of war, and was revered as the father of the Roman people.

Question 4: The metacarpals are bones found in which part of the human body?

The metacarpals are a group of five bones found in the palm of the hand, connecting the wrist bones to the finger bones. Each metacarpal corresponds to one finger.

Question 5: Which gas is considered the primary greenhouse gas emitted through human activities?

Carbon dioxide is primarily produced through the burning of fossil fuels, deforestation, and other human activities. It is responsible for approximately 76% of total human-caused greenhouse gas emissions.

Question 6: How many seasons did the original "I Love Lucy" television show run for?

"I Love Lucy," an American television sitcom starring Lucille Ball, ran from October 1951 to May 1957. The iconic show was groundbreaking for its time, with an estimated 40 million Americans tuning in each week to watch Lucy's antics.

Question 7: The invention of which practical home appliance is credited to American Richard W. Sears and Alvah C. Roebuck?

The washing machine's earliest patent was filed in 1851, but Sears and Roebuck introduced a more practical and popular design in 1908. Their design, called the "1908 Thor," significantly improved the process of washing clothes at home.

Question 8: The Earth's outermost layer is called?

The Earth's crust is primarily composed of two types - oceanic crust, which makes up the ocean floors, and continental crust, which forms the continents. The crust is divided into several tectonic plates, which can move and interact, resulting in earthquakes and volcanic activity.

Question 9: Which element has the atomic number 1?

Hydrogen is the lightest and most abundant element in the universe, constituting roughly 75% of its elemental mass.

Question 10: Where does the Marvel superhero Spider-Man primarily operate?

Spider-Man, or Peter Parker, is often seen swinging through the streets of New York City, protecting its citizens from various villains and crime. New York City is also home to many other Marvel superheroes.

You got answers correct

I got 6 out of 10 (60%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #56
Question 1: 🟥
Question 2: 🟩
Question 3: 🟥
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟩
Question 6: 🟥
Question 7: 🟥
Question 8: 🟩
Question 9: 🟩
Question 10: 🟩

Question 7 I have never heard of them all I knew it wasn't the vacuum cleaner or refrigerator, so it was 50/50

I got 8 out of 10 (80%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #56
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟥
Question 3: 🟩
Question 6: 🟩

The Australian Football League, originally named the Victorian Football League (VFL), was founded in 1897. The league went through a major expansion in the 1980s and 1990s, eventually becoming the AFL in 1990.

Question 2: The Mona Lisa, a famous portrait by Leonardo da Vinci, features a woman with which mysterious facial expression?

The Mona Lisa's enigmatic smile has been a subject of fascination and debate for centuries. It is believed that the woman depicted in the portrait is Lisa Gherardini, the wife of a Florentine merchant.

Ares is known as the god of war in Greek mythology, representing the violence and chaos of warfare. His Roman counterpart is Mars, who became more associated with the disciplined aspect of war, and was revered as the father of the Roman people.

The metacarpals are a group of five bones found in the palm of the hand, connecting the wrist bones to the finger bones. Each metacarpal corresponds to one finger.

Question 5: Which gas is considered the primary greenhouse gas emitted through human activities?

Carbon dioxide is primarily produced through the burning of fossil fuels, deforestation, and other human activities. It is responsible for approximately 76% of total human-caused greenhouse gas emissions.

Question 6: How many seasons did the original "I Love Lucy" television show run for?

"I Love Lucy," an American television sitcom starring Lucille Ball, ran from October 1951 to May 1957. The iconic show was groundbreaking for its time, with an estimated 40 million Americans tuning in each week to watch Lucy's antics.

Question 7: The invention of which practical home appliance is credited to American Richard W. Sears and Alvah C. Roebuck?

The washing machine's earliest patent was filed in 1851, but Sears and Roebuck introduced a more practical and popular design in 1908. Their design, called the "1908 Thor," significantly improved the process of washing clothes at home.

The Earth's crust is primarily composed of two types - oceanic crust, which makes up the ocean floors, and continental crust, which forms the continents. The crust is divided into several tectonic plates, which can move and interact, resulting in earthquakes and volcanic activity.

Hydrogen is the lightest and most abundant element in the universe, constituting roughly 75% of its elemental mass.

Spider-Man, or Peter Parker, is often seen swinging through the streets of New York City, protecting its citizens from various villains and crime. New York City is also home to many other Marvel superheroes.

You got answers correct
Just like yesterday 🤔

I got 9 out of 10 (90%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #56
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟥
ha ha still missing that elusive perfect score

You got answers correct

You got answers correct
The first question seems misleading as there has always been a distinction from VFL to AFL. From the start it was always VFL.

The VFL still exists, so the answer option(s) are questionable. Should it not be when was the AFL adopted as renaming? SAFL & WAFL don't consider themselves to be playing AFL they are playing Aussie Rules. As do all the smaller leagues that play AFL throughout the various states.

Reactions: Reaper123
Sears and Roebuck got me

I got 7 out of 10 (70%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #56
Question 1: 🟥
Question 7: 🟩
Question 10: 🟥

Question 1 is worded wrong. If the answer is 1897 then the question should be, when was the VFL founded?

You got answers correct
see I didn't go with my first thougt and got the question wrong. My logic was it couldn't have been the vaccum cleaner because I remember reading something about when they were invented - then i doubted myself and went for it. Mind you I still would have been wrong with my second quess - the toaster LOL

I got 5 out of 10 (50%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #56
Question 3: 🟥
Question 8: 🟥
Question 9: 🟥

Wow, that was pretty bad today. LOL