SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #362 - 22/05/2024

Question 1: What is the world's largest land mammal?

Male African bush elephants can weigh up to 13,000 pounds (6,000 kg). They are larger than Asian elephants. Blue whales are the largest mammals overall, but they are marine mammals, not land mammals.

Question 2: In which year did William Shakespeare die?

Shakespeare died on April 23, 1616, which was also the day of his 52nd birthday. He was born and died in Stratford-upon-Avon, England.

Question 3: What year was the first transatlantic telegraph cable completed, allowing communication between North America and Europe?

The first transatlantic telegraph cable was completed in 1866, allowing near-instantaneous communication between North America and Europe for the first time. An earlier attempt in 1858 resulted in a cable that failed after just a few weeks. The successful 1866 cable ushered in a new era of global telecommunications.

Question 4: Why did the Greek hero Achilles have a vulnerable heel, according to legend?

In Greek mythology, Achilles was a hero of the Trojan War. His mother Thetis tried to make him immortal by dipping him in the River Styx, but held him by his heel, leaving that spot vulnerable. Achilles was eventually killed by an arrow to his heel. The tendon connecting the heel to the calf is named the Achilles tendon after this legend.

Question 5: Which mammal is known for having the longest gestation period?

The gestation period for an elephant is approximately 22 months, or around 95 weeks, which is the longest among all mammals. The long gestation period is due to the elephant's large size and highly developed brain at birth.

Question 6: What ancient civilization built the Hanging Gardens, one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World?

The Hanging Gardens of Babylon were built around 600 BCE by King Nebuchadnezzar II as a gift to his wife Amytis. They were said to have been a remarkable feat of engineering with an ascending series of tiered gardens.

Question 7: When was the ancient city of Pompeii destroyed by the eruption of Mount Vesuvius?

The eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79 AD buried the ancient Roman city of Pompeii under volcanic ash and pumice. The site was lost for about 1,500 years until its initial rediscovery in 1599. Systematic excavations began around 1750.

Question 8: Why did Albert Einstein win the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1921?

Although Einstein is best known for his theory of relativity, he won the Nobel Prize for his explanation of the photoelectric effect, which laid the foundation for the development of quantum mechanics.

Question 9: How many moons does Jupiter have?

Jupiter has 79 known moons as of 2019. This includes the four large Galilean moons - Io, Europa, Ganymede and Callisto - which were discovered by Galileo Galilei in 1610.

Question 10: How many known species of orchids exist in the world?

Orchids are one of the largest and most diverse families of flowering plants. They are found on every continent except Antarctica and have adapted to a wide range of habitats.

You got answers correct

I got 7 out of 10 (70%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #362
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟩
Question 3: 🟥
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟩
Question 6: 🟩
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟩
Question 9: 🟥
Question 10: 🟥

It's amazing what snippets of useless information one retains. Questions 2 and 7 are testament to that.

And I bet you that Question 8 will fool a few people! :unsure:

I got 5 out of 10 (50%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #362
Question 2: 🟥
Question 3: 🟩
Question 7: 🟥
Question 8: 🟥
Quest
ion 10: 🟥

I got 6 out of 10 (60%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #362
Question 4: 🟥
Question 10: 🟩

In checking my errors I found answers that weren't offered in the choices and also different answers. why are there so many questions that have more than one source with different answers. Frustrating.

I got 4 out of 10 (40%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #362
Question 2: 🟥
Quest
ion 10: 🟥
If I can locate one remaining brain cell in my poor addled skull I will hang it on the clothes line and try to revive it for tomorrow's effort 😣

Question 1: 🟥
Q 3 =1858 was cable completed and working albeit, only for a short time, so 1858 is the correct answer!
Q 1 Read the question instead of jumping in LAND MAMMAL WAS ASKED... 😾
Q 9 =92 moons as of 2023. The question was how many moons does Jupiter have the date of 2019 as the answer does not come into the equation..

In checking my errors I found answers that weren't offered in the choices and also different answers. why are there so many questions that have more than one source with different answers. Frustrating.
It's designed to make you pull your hair out, save going to the hairdresser/barber
think of the cash you save.
Thanks, SDC.

I got 7 out of 10 (70%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #362
Question 8: 🟩

It's amazing what snippets of useless information one retains. Questions 2 and 7 are testament to that.

And I bet you that Question 8 will fool a few people! :unsure:
Sure did, it got Me. 😾 😾

I got 4 out of 10 (40%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #362
Yeah same as me lucky there were some repeats otherwise I really would have nose dived

Incorrect! The first transatlantic telegraph cable was completed in 1866,
allowing near-instantaneous communication between North America and Europe for the first time.
An earlier attempt in 1858 resulted in a cable that failed after just a few weeks.
The successful 1866 cable ushered in a new era of global telecommunications.

The question was this
What year was the first transatlantic telegraph cable completed,
allowing communication between North America and Europe?
The question wasn't about a successful one. So 1858 was correct,
as you state in your answer

Question (8)The dogs date?
Why did Albert Einstein win the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1921?

Answer:
The Nobel Prize in Physics 1921 was awarded to Albert Einstein
"for his services to Theoretical Physics,
and especially for his discovery of the law of the photoelectric effect"
Not for his explanation but his discovery? of the law.

Question (9)
How many moons does Jupiter have?

Answer:
Jupiter has 95 moons that have been officially recognized by the
International Astronomical Union 1.
These moons vary widely in size and characteristics.
The most massive ones are the four Galilean moons:
Io, Europa, Ganymede, and Callisto. These were independently discovered in 1610 by Galileo Galilei and Simon Marius and were the first objects found to orbit a body that was neither Earth nor the Sun.
The Galilean moons are nearly spherical in shape due to their planetary mass,
and they would be considered major planets if they were in direct orbit around the Sun.
The remaining 91 known moons and the rings together compose just 0.003% of the total orbiting mass around Jupiter.
Additionally, Jupiter is expected to have about 100 irregular moons larger than 1 km (0.6 mi) in diameter, plus around 500 smaller retrograde moons down to diameters of 0.8 km (0.5 mi) 2.
Quite a celestial entourage, isn’t it?

I've definitely got too much spare time on my hands.

• Haha
Reactions: DLHM and Nevertiki
Question 1: 🟥
Q 3 =1858 was cable completed and working albeit, only for a short time, so 1858 is the correct answer!
Q 1 Read the question instead of jumping in LAND MAMMAL WAS ASKED... 😾
Q 9 =92 moons as of 2023. The question was how many moons does Jupiter have the date of 2019 as the answer does not come into the equation..
Yeah I went with 1858 as well