SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #32 - 26/06/2023

Question 1: In which year was the first Superman comic published?

Superman made his debut appearance in Action Comics #1, which was published on April 18, 1938. Created by writer Jerry Siegel and artist Joe Shuster, Superman became one of the most influential and iconic superheroes in the comic book industry.

Question 2: When did Australia abolish the death penalty for all crimes?

Australia formally abolished the death penalty for all crimes in 1985, although the last execution took place in 1967. Since then, there have been several unsuccessful attempts to reintroduce capital punishment at the national level.

Question 3: What is the study of plants called?

Botany is a branch of biology focused on the study of plants, their structure, growth, reproduction, metabolic processes, development, and diseases. The term "botany" comes from the Ancient Greek word "botane," meaning pasture, herbs, or grass.

Question 4: Which element is represented by the chemical symbol 'Au'?

The symbol 'Au' comes from the Latin word "aurum," which means "shining dawn." Gold has been highly valued by humans for thousands of years, and its use dates back to at least 4000 BCE.

Question 5: If an element has an atomic number of 8, what is the element called?

Oxygen is the third most abundant element in the universe and is vital for life on Earth, as it is a key component for respiration and combustion processes.

Question 6: Where was the popular Australian soap opera "Neighbours" first broadcasted?

"Neighbours" was first broadcasted on Network Seven in 1985. However, due to initially low ratings, the series moved to Network Ten in 1986 and has enjoyed immense popularity ever since.

Question 7: In Australia, what is the largest marsupial?

The Red Kangaroo is the largest marsupial and the national symbol of Australia. Males can grow up to 6 feet tall and weigh around 200 pounds (90 kilograms).

Question 8: What instrument did jazz musician Miles Davis primarily play?

Miles Davis, an American jazz musician, was a highly influential figure in the world of jazz and primarily played the trumpet. He was known for his unique playing style and was a key figure in the development of several jazz subgenres, such as cool jazz, hard bop, and fusion.

Question 9: Where did the English term "posh" originate from?

"Posh" is thought to have originated from the phrase "Port Out, Starboard Home," which refers to the preferable cabin locations for wealthy passengers on the ships traveling between England and India during the British Raj.

Question 10: How many seasons did the Australian television show "Skippy the Bush Kangaroo" air for?

"Skippy the Bush Kangaroo" ran from 1967 to 1969 and was a popular children's television show in Australia. The story revolved around a kangaroo named Skippy and her adventures with the humans she encountered.

You got answers correct

Reactions: cberk
I got 10 out of 10 (100%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #32
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟩
Question 3: 🟩
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟩
Question 6: 🟩
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟩
Question 9: 🟩
Question 10: 🟩

I got 8 out of 10 (80%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #32
Question 1: 🟥
Question 9: 🟥

Question 9 I really thought Posh originated from people with money.

I had no idea what year the superman comic came out only that is was before 1950 and that was because my uncle collected them as a young boy and he was born 1939

The questions were a little harder today

Sorry to be a spoil sport but here is the real origin of the acronym POSH. Nothing to do with sea cruises.

Question 2: 🟥
Question 7: 🟥

…and I want to pick a fight with two of those questions – I think it's debatable whether it's the red or grey kangaroo that's bigger. They are like, and boomers of both colours can grow to a similar size. Also, that whole "posh" question is up in the air. I don't think there's any real evidence for the "port out, starboard home" theory, cute though it is. I think that is a "backronym".

I got 9 out of 10 (90%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #32
Question 8: 🟥

Sorry to be a spoil sport but here is the real origin of the acronym POSH. Nothing to do with sea cruises.
I remember my grandfather explaining posh to me as a small child. It was always port out starboard home. Only the richer folks could afford those places onboard.

I got 10 out of 10 (100%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #32

Question 2: 🟥
Question 10: 🟥

SDC Trivia Game #32 - 26/06/2023

Question 1: In which year was the first Superman comic published?

Superman made his debut appearance in Action Comics #1, which was published on April 18, 1938. Created by writer Jerry Siegel and artist Joe Shuster, Superman became one of the most influential and iconic superheroes in the comic book industry.

Question 2: When did Australia abolish the death penalty for all crimes?

Australia formally abolished the death penalty for all crimes in 1985, although the last execution took place in 1967. Since then, there have been several unsuccessful attempts to reintroduce capital punishment at the national level.

Question 3: What is the study of plants called?

Botany is a branch of biology focused on the study of plants, their structure, growth, reproduction, metabolic processes, development, and diseases. The term "botany" comes from the Ancient Greek word "botane," meaning pasture, herbs, or grass.

Question 4: Which element is represented by the chemical symbol 'Au'?

The symbol 'Au' comes from the Latin word "aurum," which means "shining dawn." Gold has been highly valued by humans for thousands of years, and its use dates back to at least 4000 BCE.

Question 5: If an element has an atomic number of 8, what is the element called?

Oxygen is the third most abundant element in the universe and is vital for life on Earth, as it is a key component for respiration and combustion processes.

Question 6: Where was the popular Australian soap opera "Neighbours" first broadcasted?

"Neighbours" was first broadcasted on Network Seven in 1985. However, due to initially low ratings, the series moved to Network Ten in 1986 and has enjoyed immense popularity ever since.

Question 7: In Australia, what is the largest marsupial?

The Red Kangaroo is the largest marsupial and the national symbol of Australia. Males can grow up to 6 feet tall and weigh around 200 pounds (90 kilograms).

Question 8: What instrument did jazz musician Miles Davis primarily play?

Miles Davis, an American jazz musician, was a highly influential figure in the world of jazz and primarily played the trumpet. He was known for his unique playing style and was a key figure in the development of several jazz subgenres, such as cool jazz, hard bop, and fusion.

Question 9: Where did the English term "posh" originate from?

"Posh" is thought to have originated from the phrase "Port Out, Starboard Home," which refers to the preferable cabin locations for wealthy passengers on the ships traveling between England and India during the British Raj.

Question 10: How many seasons did the Australian television show "Skippy the Bush Kangaroo" air for?

"Skippy the Bush Kangaroo" ran from 1967 to 1969 and was a popular children's television show in Australia. The story revolved around a kangaroo named Skippy and her adventures with the humans she encountered.

You got answers correct
I got 7 out of 10 (70%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #32
Question 3: 🟥
Question 8: 🟥
Question 9: 🟥

Question 1: 🟥
Question 10: 🟥

I remember my grandfather explaining posh to me as a small child. It was always port out starboard home. Only the richer folks could afford those places onboard.
It's Port Outward, Starboard Home -- bookings on ships to and from India and places East put the cabins on the port side of the ship in the shaded side of the ship and the starboard side of the ship was shaded going home (to the UK) as there was no airconditioning in ships of that era.