SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #31 - 25/06/2023

Question 1: Why was the Kokoda Track important during World War II?

The Kokoda Track stretches across 60 miles (96 km) through the rugged mountainous terrain of Papua New Guinea. It was strategically important as the Japanese aimed to capture Port Moresby to isolate Australia from the Allied forces in the Pacific. The harsh conditions along the track saw intense fighting between Australian and Japanese troops from July to November 1942.

Question 2: Why are the ears of modern wheat shorter than those of ancient wheat varieties?

Selective breeding, also known as artificial selection, is the process by which humans have developed modern wheat varieties to have shorter ears for easier harvesting and improved properties like higher yields and disease resistance.

Question 3: Who is known as the "Father of Modern Chemistry"?

Antoine Lavoisier, a French chemist, is best known for his discovery of the role of oxygen in combustion. He also contributed to the development of the metric system and the conservation of mass principle, transforming chemistry into a modern science.

Question 4: Which famous Italian artist painted The Last Supper?

Leonardo da Vinci painted The Last Supper between 1495 and 1498. It is located in the Convent of Santa Maria delle Grazie in Milan, Italy.

Question 5: What is the real name of the superhero known as Iron Man?

Iron Man, also known as Tony Stark, is a character created by Marvel Comics. He first appeared in Tales of Suspense #39 in 1963. Tony Stark is a billionaire, inventor, and philanthropist who designed the Iron Man suit to save his life and fight crime.

Question 6: Why did Norse explorer Leif Erikson allegedly discover around the year 1000 AD?

Leif Erikson, a Norse explorer from Iceland, is believed to have been the first European to set foot in North America, around the year 1000 AD. This was nearly 500 years before Columbus' voyage to the Americas. Erikson's discovery is referred to as Vinland, which is believed to be present-day Newfoundland, Canada.

Question 7: Who is the author of the famous Australian poem, "The Man from Snowy River"?

Banjo Paterson's "The Man from Snowy River" was first published in 1890. The poem celebrates Australian bush culture and has inspired various adaptations, such as films and television series.

Question 8: When two elements combine to form a compound, what do you call the force that holds them together?

A chemical bond is a lasting attraction between atoms, ions, or molecules that enables the formation of chemical compounds. There are various types of chemical bonds, including ionic bonds, covalent bonds, and metallic bonds.

Question 9: When did the Battle of Gallipoli, an important campaign for Australian and New Zealand troops, take place during World War I?

The Battle of Gallipoli lasted from April 25th to December 20th, 1915. It was a significant campaign for the Allies that ultimately ended in defeat. Today, April 25th is commemorated as ANZAC Day in Australia and New Zealand to remember those who fought and died during the campaign.

Question 10: In which year did Australia switch to using decimal currency?

Australia switched to decimal currency on February 14th, 1966, introducing the Australian Dollar (AUD) to replace the traditional Australian Pound.

You got answers correct

I got 9 out of 10 (90%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #31
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟩
Question 3: 🟥
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟩
Question 6: 🟩
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟩
Question 9: 🟩
Question 10: 🟩

Gosh I didn't start of too good question 1 was a little tricky , question 2 I had no idea and thankfully the rest were easy

I got 8 out of 10 (80%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #31
Question 1: 🟥
Question 2: 🟥
Question 3: 🟩

I got 10 out of 10 (100%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #31

Had to have an educated guess on only 2, the rest were easy.👍

Reactions: pixiemoon
SD
I got 9 out of 10 (90%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #31
Question 3: 🟥

C Trivia Game #31 - 25/06/2023

Question 1: Why was the Kokoda Track important during World War II?

The Kokoda Track stretches across 60 miles (96 km) through the rugged mountainous terrain of Papua New Guinea. It was strategically important as the Japanese aimed to capture Port Moresby to isolate Australia from the Allied forces in the Pacific. The harsh conditions along the track saw intense fighting between Australian and Japanese troops from July to November 1942.

Question 2: Why are the ears of modern wheat shorter than those of ancient wheat varieties?

Selective breeding, also known as artificial selection, is the process by which humans have developed modern wheat varieties to have shorter ears for easier harvesting and improved properties like higher yields and disease resistance.

Question 3: Who is known as the "Father of Modern Chemistry"?

Antoine Lavoisier, a French chemist, is best known for his discovery of the role of oxygen in combustion. He also contributed to the development of the metric system and the conservation of mass principle, transforming chemistry into a modern science.

Question 4: Which famous Italian artist painted The Last Supper?

Leonardo da Vinci painted The Last Supper between 1495 and 1498. It is located in the Convent of Santa Maria delle Grazie in Milan, Italy.

Question 5: What is the real name of the superhero known as Iron Man?

Iron Man, also known as Tony Stark, is a character created by Marvel Comics. He first appeared in Tales of Suspense #39 in 1963. Tony Stark is a billionaire, inventor, and philanthropist who designed the Iron Man suit to save his life and fight crime.

Question 6: Why did Norse explorer Leif Erikson allegedly discover around the year 1000 AD?

Leif Erikson, a Norse explorer from Iceland, is believed to have been the first European to set foot in North America, around the year 1000 AD. This was nearly 500 years before Columbus' voyage to the Americas. Erikson's discovery is referred to as Vinland, which is believed to be present-day Newfoundland, Canada.

Question 7: Who is the author of the famous Australian poem, "The Man from Snowy River"?

Banjo Paterson's "The Man from Snowy River" was first published in 1890. The poem celebrates Australian bush culture and has inspired various adaptations, such as films and television series.

Question 8: When two elements combine to form a compound, what do you call the force that holds them together?

A chemical bond is a lasting attraction between atoms, ions, or molecules that enables the formation of chemical compounds. There are various types of chemical bonds, including ionic bonds, covalent bonds, and metallic bonds.

Question 9: When did the Battle of Gallipoli, an important campaign for Australian and New Zealand troops, take place during World War I?

The Battle of Gallipoli lasted from April 25th to December 20th, 1915. It was a significant campaign for the Allies that ultimately ended in defeat. Today, April 25th is commemorated as ANZAC Day in Australia and New Zealand to remember those who fought and died during the campaign.

Question 10: In which year did Australia switch to using decimal currency?

Australia switched to decimal currency on February 14th, 1966, introducing the Australian Dollar (AUD) to replace the traditional Australian Pound.

You got answers correct
Please keep posting these trivia questions. Much fun early in the morning. Got one wrong and two correct guesses.

Reactions: JenRyder

Can I make it 3 in a row??? Tomorrow will tell..