SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #299 - 20/03/2024

Question 1: Which planet is known for having the most extensive ring system in our solar system?

Saturn is famous for its beautiful ring system, which is the most extensive in the Solar System. The rings are made up of ice and rock particles of various sizes and are believed to be remnants from comets, asteroids or shattered moons.

Question 2: What was the primary purpose of the Egyptian pyramids?

Egyptian pyramids were constructed as elaborate tombs for pharaohs. The most famous pyramid complex, which includes the Great Pyramid of Giza, was built during Egypt's Fourth Dynasty in the Old Kingdom era. The Great Pyramid is one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World and showcases the remarkable architectural skills of the ancient Egyptians.

Question 3: How many strings does a standard classical guitar have?

The classical guitar, also known as the Spanish guitar, is traditionally played with six nylon strings. It has a rich history that dates back to the 16th century in Spain.

Question 4: What film won the first Academy Award for Best Picture?

"Wings," a silent film about World War I fighter pilots, won the first ever Best Picture Oscar (known at the time as "Best Production") at the first Academy Awards ceremony in 1929. It's also the only silent film to win that honor.

Question 5: How many seasons did the original "The Twilight Zone" series run?

The original "The Twilight Zone" ran from 1959 to 1964. Created by Rod Serling, the show was highly influential and has since become a pop culture icon, leading to a number of revivals and a film.

Question 6: Which musical instrument is classified as a double reed woodwind?

The oboe is a soprano-range, double reed musical instrument of the woodwind family. Unlike the clarinet which uses a single reed, the oboe uses two reeds that vibrate against each other when blown into, creating its distinct sound.

Question 7: What is the name given to the theoretical boundary around a black hole beyond which nothing can escape, not even light?

The event horizon of a black hole is the point of no return; it's the boundary at which the gravitational pull becomes so great that escape is impossible. The term was popularized in the 1970s, though the concept had been part of black hole theory since the concept's inception.

Question 8: What principle explains why ships float?

According to Archimedes' Principle, a body immersed in a fluid is buoyed up by a force equal to the weight of the displaced fluid. This principle applies to all objects in a fluid, including ships floating on water.

Question 9: If you roll a pair of six-sided dice, what is the probability of rolling a total of 7?

When rolling two six-sided dice, there are 6 combinations that result in a total of 7 (1+6, 2+5, 3+4, 4+3, 5+2, 6+1). Since there are 36 possible combinations when rolling two dice, the probability is 6/36, which simplifies to 1/6. It's the most probable outcome for any single roll.

Question 10: In golf, what is the name of the stroke that scores one under par on a hole?

A birdie is a scoring term in golf that indicates a player has scored one stroke under par for any given hole. The term 'birdie' originated from the American slang term 'bird', which in the 19th century was the equivalent of 'cool' or 'excellent'. Birdies thus represented an excellent shot.

You got answers correct

I got 5 out of 10 (50%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #299
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟩
Question 3: 🟥
Question 4: 🟥
Question 5: 🟩
Question 6: 🟩
Question 7: 🟥
Question 8: 🟥
Question 9: 🟥
Question 10: 🟩

I got 9 out of 10 (90%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #299
Question 3: 🟩
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟩
Question 9: 🟩

Reactions: Nevertiki

Got to be happy 😃 with that!!

I got 7 out of 10 (70%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #299
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟥
Question 6: 🟥

I got 8 out of 10 (80%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #299
Not TOO bad.

I got 5 out of 10 (50%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #299
Question 3: 🟥
Terrible effort. :unsure:

I got 6 out of 10 (60%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #299

I got 7 out of 10 (70%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #299
Quest
ion 10: 🟩
Here we go again 🤠

I got 6 out of 10 (60%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #299
🤨

I got 8 out of 10 (80%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #299

My favourite television show of all time is Rod Serling's Twilight Zone. Luckily I have all 156 episodes on external hard drive!

Reactions: Da Freddo and DLHM