SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #287 - 08/03/2024

Question 1: In what year was the first Academy Awards ceremony held?

The first Academy Awards ceremony took place on May 16, 1929, at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel in Los Angeles, California, honoring movies released from 1927 to 1928. The event was a private dinner and was attended by around 270 people.

Question 2: Which musical features the song "The Music of the Night"?

"The Music of the Night" is one of the most famous songs from Andrew Lloyd Webber's "The Phantom of the Opera," which debuted in London's West End in 1986. The musical is based on the French novel "Le Fantôme de l'Opéra" by Gaston Leroux.

Question 3: Which DC Comics superhero's alter ego is Arthur Curry?

Aquaman, also known as Arthur Curry, first appeared in More Fun Comics #73 in 1941. As the King of Atlantis, Aquaman possesses superhuman strength and the ability to communicate with sea creatures.

Question 4: Which cartoon character is known for his catchphrase, "What's up, Doc?"

Bugs Bunny is a classic character from the Looney Tunes cartoon series who is known for his relaxed, easygoing personality and his catchphrase "What's up, Doc?" The character made his official debut in the cartoon "A Wild Hare" in 1940.

Question 5: In archaeology, what is the term for the study of human activity through the recovery and analysis of material culture?

Archaeology can be considered both a social science and a branch of the humanities. It differs from paleontology, which is the study of fossil remains to understand organisms' life from prehistoric times. Archaeology often focuses on cultural artifacts, architecture, and human impact on the environment to understand past human societies.

Question 6: Which company created the first commercially available hybrid gasoline-electric car?

Toyota released the Prius in Japan in 1997. It was the world's first mass-produced hybrid car and was made globally available in 2000.

Question 7: Which country operates the oldest continuing parliament in the world?

The Althing was established in 930 AD as the legislature of the Icelandic Commonwealth, making it the oldest surviving parliament in the world. Its early gatherings were held at Thingvellir, a notable rift valley and a UNESCO World Heritage site.

Question 8: Who formulated the theory of general relativity?

Albert Einstein published the theory of general relativity in 1915, which revolutionized our understanding of gravity. It replaced the 200-year-old theory proposed by Isaac Newton. General relativity has important implications for the study of cosmology and astronomy and has been confirmed by many experiments and observations since its inception.

Question 9: Who painted "The Birth of Venus"?

"The Birth of Venus" was painted in the mid-1480s by Sandro Botticelli. It depicts the goddess Venus arriving at the shore after her birth, when she had emerged from the sea fully-grown (called Venus Anadyomene). The painting is one of the most celebrated artworks of the Italian Renaissance and is on display at the Uffizi Gallery in Florence, Italy.

Question 10: Where is the Ring of Fire located?

The Ring of Fire is a horseshoe-shaped area in the basin of the Pacific Ocean which is the location for 75% of the world's active and dormant volcanoes. This area is also prone to frequent earthquakes due to the movement of multiple tectonic plates.

You got answers correct

Reactions: jojo47
I got 8 out of 10 (80%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #287
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟩
Question 3: 🟥
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟥
Question 6: 🟩
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟩
Question 9: 🟩
Question 10: 🟩

60% should have been 70 but tapped wrong key by mistake and I am not too sure about Q5 on Anthropology

I got 9 out of 10 (90%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #287
Question 3: 🟩
Question 5: 🟩
Question 7: 🟥
😁

I got 6 out of 10 (60%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #287
Question 1: 🟥
Question 6: 🟥
🫣uh oh. Not good.

Reactions: Jo Piper3
I got 7 out of 10 (70%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #287
Question 4: 🟥
Question 9: 🟥

I got 8 out of 10 (80%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #287

On a roll of 80%…. Not happy with myself, knew the correct answer to #5 and tapped the wrong answer…grrrr
Seems as though a few others would have also answered D!!!!

Last edited:
I got 6 out of 10 (60%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #287
Question 9: 🟥