SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #271 - 21/02/2024

Question 1: The "Hand of God" goal was scored by which footballer?

The "Hand of God" goal was scored by Diego Maradona during the 1986 FIFA World Cup quarter-final match between Argentina and England. Maradona's punch of the ball went unnoticed by the referee, and the goal stood, contributing to Argentina's 2-1 victory.

Question 2: What is the primary cause of the Earth's seasons?

Earth's seasons are caused primarily by the 23.5-degree axial tilt of the planet. This tilt causes different parts of Earth to receive varying amounts of sunlight throughout the year, which is the main reason we have seasons. Contrary to a common misconception, the changing distance between Earth and the sun due to its elliptical orbit has much less effect on the seasons.

Question 3: Why is the Rosetta Stone considered a key to understanding Egyptian hieroglyphs?

The Rosetta Stone is significant because it provided three versions of the same text: Greek, Demotic, and Egyptian hieroglyphs, which allowed scholars to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphs by comparing the Greek and hieroglyphic versions. It was discovered in 1799 by French soldiers during the Napoleonic campaign in Egypt. Jean-François Champollion announced the decipherment of Egyptian hieroglyphs in 1822, largely thanks to the Rosetta Stone.

Question 4: Which mathematical concept is the study of shapes, sizes, patterns, and positions?

Geometry is one of the oldest mathematical sciences, dating back to the ancient Greeks, who developed many of the geometry principles still used today. It deals extensively with properties of space and the relationships between points, lines, angles, and surfaces.

Question 5: What part of the human body is responsible for producing insulin?

The pancreas is a vital organ that not only produces insulin, which regulates blood sugar levels, but also produces enzymes that help in digestion. Insulin produced by beta cells in the pancreas allows your body to use sugar from carbohydrates in the food for energy or to store glucose for future use.

Question 6: The traditional Japanese art of paper folding is known by what name?

Origami means "folding paper" in Japanese and has been a traditional art form since the 17th century AD. It gained widespread popularity outside of Japan in the mid-1900s.

Question 7: In which part of a plant does photosynthesis primarily take place?

Photosynthesis primarily occurs in the leaves, which have cells containing chloroplasts. Within these chloroplasts, chlorophyll captures the energy from sunlight, which is then used to convert carbon dioxide and water into glucose and oxygen.

Question 8: Which vitamin is essential for coagulation and is produced by gut flora?

Vitamin K is important for blood clotting and bone metabolism. Gut bacteria produce a significant portion of the human body's vitamin K requirement. Vitamin K deficiency can lead to excessive bleeding disorders.

Question 9: How many days does the Chinese New Year festival, also known as the Spring Festival, traditionally last?

Chinese New Year celebrations traditionally start on the eve and last until the Lantern Festival, which is on the 15th day of the first lunar month. In 2023, the festival began on January 21 and ended with the Lantern Festival on February 5.

Question 10: What is the primary mineral found in granite?

Feldspar is the most abundant mineral in Earth's crust, and it forms around 60% of terrestrial rocks. Granite consists mainly of quartz, feldspar, and mica. Quartz comes in second, making up about 20 to 35% of granite's composition.

You got answers correct

Reactions: nunna
I got 7 out of 10 (70%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #271
Question 1: 🟥
Question 2: 🟥
Question 3: 🟩
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟩
Question 6: 🟩
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟩
Question 9: 🟥
Question 10: 🟩
Drat

I got 6 out of 10 (60%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #271
Question 1: 🟩
Question 3: 🟥
Question 10: 🟥

I got 6 out of 10 (60%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #271
Question 7: 🟥

Reactions: Jo Piper3
I got 9 out of 10 (90%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #271
Question 2: 🟩
Question 9: 🟩

I got 8 out of 10 (80%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #271
Quest
ion 10: 🟥

100% today….that makes me happy 😃

Surely there can be nothing else (I for one) needs or wants to know about The Rosetta Stone or Photosynthesis…bit like To Kill a Mockingbird and The Mona Lisa…..enough is enough

Last edited:
I got 9 out of 10 (90%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #271
Question 2: 🟩