SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #256 - 06/02/2024

Question 1: Who is the creator of the "Peanuts" comic strip?

Charles M. Schulz's "Peanuts" debuted in 1950 and became one of the most beloved comic strips in history. The strip ran for nearly 50 years until Schulz's retirement in December 1999. Charlie Brown, Snoopy, and the rest of the Peanuts gang have become iconic characters known around the world.

Question 2: Which ancient city was rediscovered in the 1740s, having been buried in volcanic ash since AD 79?

Pompeii was an ancient Roman town-city near modern Naples in Italy. It was buried under 4 to 6 meters of volcanic ash and pumice in the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in AD 79. Its rediscovery provides an extraordinarily detailed insight into the life of a city during the Pax Romana. The site has been a tourist destination for over 250 years and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Question 3: Which human organ is responsible for producing insulin?

The pancreas produces insulin, which regulates blood sugar levels. The cells responsible for insulin production are known as beta cells and are part of the Islets of Langerhans within the pancreas. Insulin is a critical hormone for the metabolism of carbohydrates and fats.

Question 4: Where is the Cannes Film Festival held annually?

The Cannes Film Festival is one of the most prestigious and publicized film festivals globally. Established in 1946, it is held annually in Cannes, located in the French Riviera, typically in May.

Question 5: What is the largest living species of bird by height?

The ostrich can grow up to 9 feet (2.7 meters) in height and is native to Africa. It is also the heaviest living bird species. Despite its size and weight, ostriches are capable of running at speeds of up to 70 km/h (43 mph).

Question 6: Which country is the headquarters of BMW located in?

BMW, which stands for Bayerische Motoren Werke AG, is headquartered in Munich, Germany. It was founded in 1916 and is known for its performance and luxury vehicles.

Question 7: Who is considered the father of modern business management?

Peter Drucker was an influential thinker and writer on the subject of management theory and practice. His work has contributed significantly to the modern concept of business management. Drucker is known for his numerous books on the topic, including "The Practice of Management" and "Management: Tasks, Responsibilities, Practices."

Question 8: Who is considered the father of modern Western Philosophy?

René Descartes is famous for his statement, "Cogito, ergo sum," which means "I think, therefore I am." His work in philosophy laid the foundation for modern Western philosophy, especially the development of rationalism.

Question 9: What is the name of the famous concert hall in Vienna, Austria, that is the home of the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra?

The Musikverein was inaugurated on January 6, 1870, and is renowned for its acoustics. It is widely considered one of the world's greatest concert halls. The Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra's New Year's Concert, held annually at the Musikverein, is broadcast worldwide and is a key event in classical music.

Question 10: In Greek mythology, who was the king that Midas turned into gold?

King Midas is a figure from Greek mythology who was granted the ability to turn anything he touched into gold. Tragically, he transformed his beloved daughter into gold as well upon embracing her, realizing the terrible downside of his "golden touch." The story is often used as a cautionary tale about the dangers of greed and the unintended consequences of one's wishes.

You got answers correct

I got 6 out of 10 (60%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #256
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟩
Question 3: 🟩
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟩
Question 6: 🟥
Question 7: 🟥
Question 8: 🟥
Question 9: 🟩
Question 10: 🟥

I got 8 out of 10 (80%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #256
Question 6: 🟩
Question 8: 🟩
Question 10: 🟥

Happy with todays result 😀

Reactions: Jo Piper3
You mean who was it that king midas turned to gold, not who was THE KING who midas turned to gokd. His daughter could not have been king, so the clue is misleading and the answer wrong (to the question asked).
My husband and I argued that precisely. I was right and he still believes the question is based on the gender of actors today, no actresses, just ALL actors. Have I missed something?

I got 7 out of 10 (70%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #256
Question 8: 🟥
Quest
ion 10: 🟥

There were a couple of dodgy ones today. Still trying for that elusive 10/10🤠

Reactions: featherfour
I got 8 out of 10 (80%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #256
Question 8: 🟩
Question 9: 🟥
Question 10: 🟩

You mean who was it that king midas turned to gold, not who was THE KING who midas turned to gokd. His daughter could not have been king, so the clue is misleading and the answer wrong (to the question asked).
100% agree. As there was no answer that fitted the question as written. And I lost out on that question.