SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #249 - 30/01/2024

Question 1: Which blood type is known as the universal donor?

O negative blood type is known as the universal donor because it is compatible with all other blood types and is often in high demand for transfusions. Only about 7% of the population has O negative blood.

Question 2: How many cylinders does a typical Formula One racing engine have?

Modern Formula One cars use 1.6-liter turbocharged V6 engines. This engine configuration has been the standard since the 2014 season when the regulations changed from 2.4-liter V8 engines to improve efficiency and reduce emissions.

Question 3: What is the study of mushrooms and other fungi called?

Mycology is a branch of biology concerned with the study of fungi, including their genetic and biochemical properties, their taxonomy, and their use to humans as a source for tinder, traditional medicine, food, and entheogens, as well as their dangers, such as toxicity or infection.

Question 4: What is the term for a polygon with eight sides?

An octagon is any eight-sided polygon. The most recognized octagon in many countries is the shape used for stop signs. The prefix "octa-" is derived from the Greek word "októ," which means eight.

Question 5: What was the profession of Marilyn Monroe before she became famous?

Before she became an iconic actress and sex symbol, Marilyn Monroe, born Norma Jeane Mortenson, worked in a munitions factory in Van Nuys, California, during World War II. She was discovered by a photographer while working at the factory, and this led to her successful modeling and acting career.

Question 6: Which movie released in 1994 features a hit song by Whitney Houston that became one of the best-selling singles of all time?

Whitney Houston's song "I Will Always Love You" was part of the soundtrack for "The Bodyguard," in which she also starred alongside Kevin Costner. The single became an immense success, selling over 20 million copies worldwide.

Question 7: In which country was the tomb of the pharaoh Tutankhamun discovered?

The tomb of Tutankhamun, also known as King Tut, was discovered in 1922 by Howard Carter in the Valley of the Kings in Egypt. King Tut’s nearly intact tomb provided an unprecedented insight into the life and history of ancient Egypt and started a worldwide interest in archaeology and ancient Egyptian history.

Question 8: Who wrote the musical "West Side Story"?

"West Side Story," which debuted on Broadway in 1957, features music by Leonard Bernstein, lyrics by Stephen Sondheim, and was inspired by William Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet." The musical has been a favorite for generations and was made into a successful film in 1961, and again in 2021, directed by Steven Spielberg.

Question 9: Who invented the telephone?

Alexander Graham Bell is credited with patenting the first practical telephone. Though Elisha Gray also filed a patent for a similar device at the same time, Bell was the first to be awarded the patent on March 7, 1876. There has been considerable debate and legal battles over the invention of the telephone, but Bell is typically credited as the inventor in popular history.

Question 10: Which scientist is credited with the discovery of penicillin?

Alexander Fleming discovered penicillin in 1928 when he noticed that a common fungus, Penicillium notatum, produced a substance that could kill a wide range of harmful bacteria. This accidental discovery revolutionized modern medicine and led to the development of antibiotics.

You got answers correct

I got 7 out of 10 (70%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #249
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟥
Question 3: 🟥
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟩
Question 6: 🟩
Question 7: 🟥
Question 8: 🟩
Question 9: 🟩
Question 10: 🟩

Reactions: cardie
I got 5 out of 10 (50%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #249
Question 1: 🟥
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟥
Question 10: 🟥

I got 8 out of 10 (80%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #249
nearly made it

I got 7 out of 10 (70%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #249
Question 1: 🟥
Question 3: 🟩
Question 4: 🟥

I got 9 out of 10 (90%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #249
😁

Reactions: steelo5 and cardie
SDC Trivia Game #249 - 30/01/2024

Question 1: Which blood type is known as the universal donor?

O negative blood type is known as the universal donor because it is compatible with all other blood types and is often in high demand for transfusions. Only about 7% of the population has O negative blood.

Question 2: How many cylinders does a typical Formula One racing engine have?

Modern Formula One cars use 1.6-liter turbocharged V6 engines. This engine configuration has been the standard since the 2014 season when the regulations changed from 2.4-liter V8 engines to improve efficiency and reduce emissions.

Question 3: What is the study of mushrooms and other fungi called?

Mycology is a branch of biology concerned with the study of fungi, including their genetic and biochemical properties, their taxonomy, and their use to humans as a source for tinder, traditional medicine, food, and entheogens, as well as their dangers, such as toxicity or infection.

Question 4: What is the term for a polygon with eight sides?

An octagon is any eight-sided polygon. The most recognized octagon in many countries is the shape used for stop signs. The prefix "octa-" is derived from the Greek word "októ," which means eight.

Question 5: What was the profession of Marilyn Monroe before she became famous?

Before she became an iconic actress and sex symbol, Marilyn Monroe, born Norma Jeane Mortenson, worked in a munitions factory in Van Nuys, California, during World War II. She was discovered by a photographer while working at the factory, and this led to her successful modeling and acting career.

Question 6: Which movie released in 1994 features a hit song by Whitney Houston that became one of the best-selling singles of all time?

Whitney Houston's song "I Will Always Love You" was part of the soundtrack for "The Bodyguard," in which she also starred alongside Kevin Costner. The single became an immense success, selling over 20 million copies worldwide.

Question 7: In which country was the tomb of the pharaoh Tutankhamun discovered?

The tomb of Tutankhamun, also known as King Tut, was discovered in 1922 by Howard Carter in the Valley of the Kings in Egypt. King Tut’s nearly intact tomb provided an unprecedented insight into the life and history of ancient Egypt and started a worldwide interest in archaeology and ancient Egyptian history.

Question 8: Who wrote the musical "West Side Story"?

"West Side Story," which debuted on Broadway in 1957, features music by Leonard Bernstein, lyrics by Stephen Sondheim, and was inspired by William Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet." The musical has been a favorite for generations and was made into a successful film in 1961, and again in 2021, directed by Steven Spielberg.

Question 9: Who invented the telephone?

Alexander Graham Bell is credited with patenting the first practical telephone. Though Elisha Gray also filed a patent for a similar device at the same time, Bell was the first to be awarded the patent on March 7, 1876. There has been considerable debate and legal battles over the invention of the telephone, but Bell is typically credited as the inventor in popular history.

Question 10: Which scientist is credited with the discovery of penicillin?

Alexander Fleming discovered penicillin in 1928 when he noticed that a common fungus, Penicillium notatum, produced a substance that could kill a wide range of harmful bacteria. This accidental discovery revolutionized modern medicine and led to the development of antibiotics.

You got answers correct
It's about time I got another 10/10. I thought I was losing it.

I got 8 out of 10 (80%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #249
Question 2: 🟩
Question 5: 🟥
Question 10: 🟥