SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #174 - 16/11/2023

Question 1: When did the Berlin Wall fall?

The Berlin Wall, which divided East and West Berlin, fell on November 9, 1989, marking a symbolic end to the Cold War and paving the way for German reunification in 1990.

Question 2: What unit of power is equal to one joule per second?

The watt, named after James Watt, the Scottish inventor of the steam engine, is the unit of power in the International System of Units (SI). It's defined as one joule per second, measuring the rate of energy conversion or transfer.

Question 3: What is the oldest stock exchange in the world?

The Amsterdam Stock Exchange, now known as Euronext Amsterdam, is considered the oldest in the world. It was established in 1602 by the Dutch East India Company.

Question 4: How many points does the star of the United States flag have?

Each star on the American flag has five points. The star has been a symbol of the heavens and the divine goal to which man has aspired from time immemorial.

Question 5: How many elements are there in the periodic table?

At present, there are 118 known elements on the periodic table. The most recent additions, Nihonium (113), Moscovium (115), Tennessine (117), and Oganesson (118), were officially named in 2016.

Question 6: Who painted the iconic painting, 'The Starry Night'?

‘The Starry Night’ is a famous painting by Dutch artist Vincent van Gogh, painted in 1889. The painting depicts the view from the window of van Gogh’s asylum room at Saint-Rémy-de-Provence.

Question 7: Who directed the film 'E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial'?

'E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial,' directed by Steven Spielberg and released in 1982, is one of the highest-grossing films of all time and was a milestone in the genre of science fiction. It tells the story of a young boy who befriends an extraterrestrial who is stranded on Earth.

Question 8: Which classical music composer wrote the four seasons?

Antonio Vivaldi, an Italian composer of the baroque era, is famously known for composing The Four Seasons in 1723, a set of four violin concertos each giving a musical expression to a season of the year.

Question 9: If someone is "waiting in the wings" in a theatre context, what does it mean?

The term "waiting in the wings" comes from a theatre context where actors wait in the areas to the side of the stage, known as the wings, ready to enter the stage when their turn comes for their performance.

Question 10: Which U.S Supreme Court Justice served the longest term?

William O. Douglas served as a U.S Supreme Court Justice for over 36 years, from 1939 to 1975, making his term the longest in the history of the court.

You got answers correct

Reactions: sturdybaker
I got 6 out of 10 (60%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #174
Question 1: 🟥
Question 2: 🟩
Question 3: 🟥
Question 4: 🟥
Question 5: 🟩
Question 6: 🟩
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟩
Question 9: 🟩
Question 10: 🟥

Question 1: 🟥
Question 2: 🟥
Question 4: 🟩

Hangs head in shame yet again!!

Reactions: Bullwinkle
Question 1: 🟩

Reactions: Bullwinkle
US Supreme Court Justice? That's not trivia for an Australian. I doubt there's anyone who would know that without googling it, which isn't the point of a knowledge test.

Reactions: AlanQ

I guessed #10 because of the Middle Initial "O". That was my sole reason for guessing it. No mental capability required, just pure luck fort his one. LOL!

I got 8 out of 10 (80%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #174
Question 3: 🟩
Question 8: 🟥

SDC Trivia Game #174 - 16/11/2023

Question 1: When did the Berlin Wall fall?

The Berlin Wall, which divided East and West Berlin, fell on November 9, 1989, marking a symbolic end to the Cold War and paving the way for German reunification in 1990.

Question 2: What unit of power is equal to one joule per second?

The watt, named after James Watt, the Scottish inventor of the steam engine, is the unit of power in the International System of Units (SI). It's defined as one joule per second, measuring the rate of energy conversion or transfer.

Question 3: What is the oldest stock exchange in the world?

The Amsterdam Stock Exchange, now known as Euronext Amsterdam, is considered the oldest in the world. It was established in 1602 by the Dutch East India Company.

Question 4: How many points does the star of the United States flag have?

Each star on the American flag has five points. The star has been a symbol of the heavens and the divine goal to which man has aspired from time immemorial.

Question 5: How many elements are there in the periodic table?

At present, there are 118 known elements on the periodic table. The most recent additions, Nihonium (113), Moscovium (115), Tennessine (117), and Oganesson (118), were officially named in 2016.

Question 6: Who painted the iconic painting, 'The Starry Night'?

‘The Starry Night’ is a famous painting by Dutch artist Vincent van Gogh, painted in 1889. The painting depicts the view from the window of van Gogh’s asylum room at Saint-Rémy-de-Provence.

Question 7: Who directed the film 'E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial'?

'E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial,' directed by Steven Spielberg and released in 1982, is one of the highest-grossing films of all time and was a milestone in the genre of science fiction. It tells the story of a young boy who befriends an extraterrestrial who is stranded on Earth.

Question 8: Which classical music composer wrote the four seasons?

Antonio Vivaldi, an Italian composer of the baroque era, is famously known for composing The Four Seasons in 1723, a set of four violin concertos each giving a musical expression to a season of the year.

Question 9: If someone is "waiting in the wings" in a theatre context, what does it mean?

The term "waiting in the wings" comes from a theatre context where actors wait in the areas to the side of the stage, known as the wings, ready to enter the stage when their turn comes for their performance.

Question 10: Which U.S Supreme Court Justice served the longest term?

William O. Douglas served as a U.S Supreme Court Justice for over 36 years, from 1939 to 1975, making his term the longest in the history of the court.

You got answers correct
wow it's not til I answered this question it dawned on me how long ago the wall fell 34 years ago

I got 10 out of 10 (100%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #174
Question 3: 🟩
Question 10: 🟩