SDC Trivia Game #159 - 01/11/2023

Question 1: The NASDAQ Stock Market was first established in which year?

The NASDAQ (National Association of Securities Dealers Automated Quotations) was first established in 1971, and was the world's first electronic stock market. It includes technology giants such as Apple, Google and Facebook.

Question 2: Who was the youngest person to ever win a Grammy?

LeAnn Rimes holds the record for being the youngest Grammy winner, taking home two awards when she was just 14 years old in 1997. She won for Best New Artist and Best Female Country Vocal Performance.

Question 3: What is the function of mitochondria in a cell?

The mitochondria is often referred to as the "powerhouse" of the cell. It generates chemical energy in the form of ATP (adenosine triphosphate) that the cell uses for various processes.

Question 4: How many books are there in J.R.R. Tolkien's 'The Lord of the Rings' series?

The 'Lord of the Rings' series by J.R.R. Tolkien is a high fantasy epic divided into three volumes: 'The Fellowship of the Ring', 'The Two Towers', and 'The Return of the King'. Despite the entire work being commonly referred to as a trilogy, Tolkien himself regarded it as one single novel.

Question 5: Why is nitrogen important for plant growth?

Nitrogen is essential for plants because it is a major component of chlorophyll, the compound by which plants photosynthesize and convert sunlight into energy and sugar. It is also an important part of amino acids, the building blocks of proteins. Without enough nitrogen, plants cannot produce enough energy to grow and function.

Question 6: The festival of Diwali is primarily celebrated by followers of what religion?

Diwali, also known as the Festival of Lights, is one of the most important holidays in Hinduism. It celebrates the victory of light over darkness and good over evil. However, it is also recognized and celebrated by other religions such as Sikhism and Jainism.

Question 7: Why is Turing considered the father of modern computing?

Alan Turing, a British mathematician, philosopher, codebreaker, and computer scientist, conceived the fundamental concept of a "universal machine" that could run any computation, a key foundation of modern computers. This concept was first introduced in a 1936 academic paper.

Question 8: Why is Mozart considered a key figure of the Classical era in Western music?

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, a prolific and influential composer of the Classical era, composed over 600 works, many of which are acknowledged as pinnacles of symphonic, concertante, chamber, operatic, and choral music.

Question 9: If Question: If you visit the Louvre Museum in Paris, which famous painting could you see?

The Mona Lisa, painted by Leonardo da Vinci in the early 16th century, is one of the most recognisable works of art in the world and is housed at the Louvre Museum in Paris, France. The Starry Night is located at the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) in New York City, The Scream is displayed at The National Gallery in Norway, and American Gothic is at the Art Institute of Chicago.

Question 10: The Sahara Desert is the hottest desert in the world. It is located on which continent?

The Sahara Desert, located in northern Africa, is the world's largest hot desert. This massive desert, nearly as large as the United States, experiences some of the highest temperatures ever recorded on earth.

You got answers correct
So I wonder who makes these questions. When I get a wrong answer I like to go check them out. So for the Lord of the Rings I got 6 books arranged in 3 volumes which then become amalgamated into one complete volume. So was he asking for books or volumes? Even in the answer he says 3 volumes - volumes to me are not books. With regard to Why nitrogen important for plant growth - nowhere in my looking did I see any mention of chlorophyll - while I did not understand it completely myself I came to the conclusion it was either energy or digestion - even in the answer it mentions production of energy so shouldn't the answer have been B (I mean I still got it wrong)

Reactions: Littleboy8
I got 7 out of 10 (70%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #159
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟥
Question 3: 🟥
Question 4: 🟥
Question 5: 🟩
Question 6: 🟩
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟩
Question 9: 🟩
Question 10: 🟩

Question 1: 🟥
Question 2: 🟩
Question 3: 🟩
Question 4: 🟥
Question 5: 🟥

Question 2: 🟥
Question 4: 🟩
Question 6: 🟥

The silly thing is I knew the answers to two I clicked on the wrong one.. stupido moi but 7 correct is still comforting hahhaahaha

oh 4 Heavens sake...I'm back to where I was at this time last week, 4tunately there is another shot tomorrow. 😉

Question 3: 🟥
Question 7: 🟥
Scroll wasn’t working correctly but happy with that.

I got 9 out of 10 (90%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #159
Question 1: 🟩
Question 7: 🟥