SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #157 - 30/10/2023

Question 1: Who is the author of the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series, which inspired the "Game of Thrones" television series?

George R. R. Martin started publishing the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series in 1996, which later formed the basis for the hugely popular "Game of Thrones" television series on HBO.

Question 2: Who painted the famous artwork "The Last Supper"?

Leonardo da Vinci painted "The Last Supper" during the end of the 15th century on the back wall of the dining hall at Santa Maria delle Grazie in Milan, Italy. It represents the scene of the Last Supper of Jesus with his disciples.

Question 3: What was the primary material used for the original invention of the phonograph in 1877?

The original phonogram was invented by Thomas Edison in 1877, and it utilised a cylinder covered in tin foil to record and replay sound. Over time, the design of recordings evolved to utilize wax and eventually vinyl.

Question 4: Where is the Leaning Tower of Pisa located?

The Leaning Tower of Pisa is located in the city of Pisa, Italy. It's known for its unintended tilt, which began during its construction in the 12th century due to soft ground on one side. Despite corrective measures and stabilization efforts, the tower continues to lean.

Question 5: How many heads does the mythical creature Hydra supposedly have?

In Greek mythology, the Hydra was a serpentine water monster with nine heads. If one head was cut off, two more would grow back in its place, making the Hydra nearly impossible to defeat.

Question 6: If you could 'flex' your sphincter, what part of the body would you be controlling?

The anus is a part of the body, controlled by the internal and external anal sphincters. The sphincters are able to contract and relax, which helps a person control when they eliminate waste from their body.

Question 7: Who is often called the "Mother of Modern Environmentalism"?

Rachel Carson, a marine biologist and conservationist, is often called the "Mother of Modern Environmentalism" due to her influential work "Silent Spring." The book, published in 1962, highlighted the harmful effects of pesticides on the environment and helped to spark the modern environmental movement.

Question 8: Who discovered the tomb of the Egyptian pharaoh Tutankhamun?

British archaeologist Howard Carter discovered the tomb of Tutankhamun in the Valley of the Kings, Egypt in 1922. This discovery is considered one of the most significant archaeological finds of the 20th century due to the tomb's richness and relative intactness.

Question 9: Why is the Wall Street area in New York City significant to global finance?

Wall Street is significant to global finance because it's the home of the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE), one of the world's largest stock exchanges by market capitalization. Named after a 17th-century defensive wall, Wall Street has become synonymous with the financial markets of the United States.

Question 10: Which nation was divided at the 38th parallel after World War II?

After World War II, Korea was divided at the 38th parallel into North Korea, controlled by the Soviet Union, and South Korea, overseen by the United States. This division was meant to be temporary, but it developed into a long-term standoff that's still in effect today.

You got answers correct

I got 8 out of 10 (80%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #157
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟩
Question 3: 🟥
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟩
Question 6: 🟩
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟩
Question 9: 🟩
Question 10: 🟥

I got 6 out of 10 (60%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #157
Question 5: 🟥
Question 7: 🟥

I got 7 out of 10 (70%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #157
Question 5: 🟥
Question 7: 🟩

Greek philosophy was invented by men who refused to waste their lives memorising mythology.

Reactions: Bullwinkle
SDC Trivia Game #157 - 30/10/2023

Question 1: Who is the author of the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series, which inspired the "Game of Thrones" television series?

George R. R. Martin started publishing the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series in 1996, which later formed the basis for the hugely popular "Game of Thrones" television series on HBO.

Question 2: Who painted the famous artwork "The Last Supper"?

Leonardo da Vinci painted "The Last Supper" during the end of the 15th century on the back wall of the dining hall at Santa Maria delle Grazie in Milan, Italy. It represents the scene of the Last Supper of Jesus with his disciples.

Question 3: What was the primary material used for the original invention of the phonograph in 1877?

The original phonogram was invented by Thomas Edison in 1877, and it utilised a cylinder covered in tin foil to record and replay sound. Over time, the design of recordings evolved to utilize wax and eventually vinyl.

Question 4: Where is the Leaning Tower of Pisa located?

The Leaning Tower of Pisa is located in the city of Pisa, Italy. It's known for its unintended tilt, which began during its construction in the 12th century due to soft ground on one side. Despite corrective measures and stabilization efforts, the tower continues to lean.

Question 5: How many heads does the mythical creature Hydra supposedly have?

In Greek mythology, the Hydra was a serpentine water monster with nine heads. If one head was cut off, two more would grow back in its place, making the Hydra nearly impossible to defeat.

Question 6: If you could 'flex' your sphincter, what part of the body would you be controlling?

The anus is a part of the body, controlled by the internal and external anal sphincters. The sphincters are able to contract and relax, which helps a person control when they eliminate waste from their body.

Question 7: Who is often called the "Mother of Modern Environmentalism"?

Rachel Carson, a marine biologist and conservationist, is often called the "Mother of Modern Environmentalism" due to her influential work "Silent Spring." The book, published in 1962, highlighted the harmful effects of pesticides on the environment and helped to spark the modern environmental movement.

Question 8: Who discovered the tomb of the Egyptian pharaoh Tutankhamun?

British archaeologist Howard Carter discovered the tomb of Tutankhamun in the Valley of the Kings, Egypt in 1922. This discovery is considered one of the most significant archaeological finds of the 20th century due to the tomb's richness and relative intactness.

Question 9: Why is the Wall Street area in New York City significant to global finance?

Wall Street is significant to global finance because it's the home of the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE), one of the world's largest stock exchanges by market capitalization. Named after a 17th-century defensive wall, Wall Street has become synonymous with the financial markets of the United States.

Question 10: Which nation was divided at the 38th parallel after World War II?

After World War II, Korea was divided at the 38th parallel into North Korea, controlled by the Soviet Union, and South Korea, overseen by the United States. This division was meant to be temporary, but it developed into a long-term standoff that's still in effect today.

You got answers correct
I got 8 out of 10. Question 10, I thought it was Germany, well now I know the correct answer.

Another 9/10.

Question 2 - Salvador Dali also depicted the Last Supper in his 1955 painting "The Sacrament of the Last Supper". He is one of my favourite artists of all time. So da Vinci it was.

Oh Dear! Not game to post my result. Starting to lose confidence in myself.....maybe it's just a lack of concentration????

• Sad
Reactions: DLHM
Oh Dear! Not game to post my result. Starting to lose confidence in myself.....maybe it's just a lack of concentration????
Don’t put yourself down. You can be sure you’re not the only one who does poorly with the trivia questions. My results are very dismal. I know I may not have a broad range of knowledge, but with what I do know, I know it well. My knowledge is more from life experiences and things I’m interested in. 👍🏻

Reactions: steelo5
I got 9 out of 10 (90%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #157
Question 3: 🟩
Question 5: 🟩
Question 7: 🟥
Question 10: 🟩

Don’t put yourself down. You can be sure you’re not the only one who does poorly with the trivia questions. My results are very dismal. I know I may not have a broad range of knowledge, but with what I do know, I know it well. My knowledge is more from life experiences and things I’m interested in. 👍🏻
Thank you!

• Love
Reactions: DLHM