Scott Morrison announces his decision to step down from Parliamentary role: ‘It’s been a great honour’

Former Prime Minister Scott Morrison has announced that he will be stepping away from the political arena.

In a surprising turn of events, Morrison has declared his retirement from politics, effective from the end of February when the federal parliament reconvenes for the year.

In a statement posted on social media, Morrison revealed his decision to retire, citing his desire to 'take on new challenges in the global corporate sector and spend more time with my family'.

He said his time in politics was a great honour.

281353486_566299224865444_8230122231916836251_n.jpg
Former Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced that he is quitting parliament. Credit: Scott Morrison (ScoMo) / Facebook

Morrison's social media post read: 'Just letting you know (especially everyone locally) that after more than 16 years as the Member for Cook, I have decided to leave parliament at the end of February to take on new challenges in the global corporate sector and spend more time with my family.'

‘I am extremely grateful to my family, friends, local community and local party members and supporters in Cook for their incredible support during this time, [which] has enabled me to serve my country at the highest level and make Australia a stronger, more secure and more prosperous country.’

‘It has been a great honour to serve as the member for Cook and as prime minister.’

‘I also thank my staff and parliamentary colleagues over the years for their friendship and support, especially my deputy leader Josh Frydenberg and deputy PMs Michael McCormack and Barnaby Joyce.’

‘I also want to wish Peter Dutton and his team all the very best and congratulate him on the great job he has done leading our party and the Coalition since the last election. The Shire and southern Sydney is a great place to live and raise a family,’ he added.

‘I have always worked hard to try and keep it that way as their local member.’

‘By giving advance notice of my intention to leave parliament at the end of February, this will give my Party ample time to select a great new candidate who I know will do what's best for our community and bring fresh energy and commitment to the job.’

He continued: ‘I now look forward to continue to enjoying local life here in the Shire and my church community at Horizon with my family and friends, and as always #upupcronulla.’

‘I will post a formal statement in the comments below.’

In his separate statement, the former PM said he ‘would be taking up a series of global strategic advisory roles and private boards, focused on the US and Indo-Pacific’.

You can check Morrison’s post below:

Credit: @scottmorrisonmp / Instagram

Morrison has been out of the main political spotlight since his party lost the big election in 2022.

He kept a low profile in parliament, except for rejecting a proposal about Indigenous representation last May.

He has also faced criticism for past controversies.

In late 2022, he got in trouble for secretly giving himself five government roles during the pandemic.

Also, his involvement in the Robodebt scheme faced more scrutiny after a Royal Commission report was released last year.

Despite all this, Morrison has defended his actions in both situations.

Morrison's political journey has been a rollercoaster filled with triumphs, controversies, and challenges.

He first entered the federal parliament as a member of the southern Sydney seat of Cook in 2007.

His political career saw him ascend to various ministerial roles, including immigration minister under Tony Abbott in 2013 and treasurer under Malcolm Turnbull.

In 2018, when Turnbull's support within the Liberal Party crumbled, Morrison emerged victorious in the leadership race.

He led the Coalition to a surprise victory in the 2019 federal election, marking the pinnacle of his political career.

Morrison's tenure as prime minister was largely defined by the pandemic.

His government's response to the crisis, including the creation of the National Cabinet and the implementation of the Jobkeeper package, earned him both praise and criticism.

Despite the challenges, Morrison's leadership during the pandemic was lauded by Opposition Leader Peter Dutton.

Dutton praised Morrison's quick decision to close the border, which he said saved Australian lives.

He was commended as well in the formation of the AUKUS defence agreement with the US and the UK.

‘In the time he led our country, Scott presided over some of the most difficult challenges an Australian prime minister has known since the Second World War; most notably COVID-19,’ Dutton said.

‘Thanks to Scott's quick decision to close the border, Australian lives were saved. And thanks to his government's Jobeeper package, more than 1 million businesses were supported and more than 4 million Australians had their jobs saved…’

‘But if there is a standout achievement of his government, it was the trilateral security partnership between Australia, the United Kingdom and the United States.’

‘AUKUS will underpin our defence and deterrence for decades to come.’

However, Morrison's government also faced criticism for the delay in obtaining and rolling out COVID-19 vaccines.

His decision to holiday in Hawaii during the height of the Black Summer bushfires in 2019-20 also drew intense scrutiny.

Morrison's departure from parliament will trigger a by-election for Cook later this year. This comes on top of another by-election for Dunkley, in Melbourne, scheduled for Saturday, 2 March, following the death of Labor MP Peta Murphy last year.

In his post-politics life, Morrison is scheduled to release a book in May covering his religious faith and time as prime minister.
Key Takeaways

• Former Prime Minister Scott Morrison has announced his departure from federal politics to pursue new opportunities in the global corporate sector and spend more time with his family.
  • Morrison's political career is notable for his tenure as Treasurer, his surprise victory in the 2019 federal election, his leadership during the COVID-19 pandemic, and the formation of the AUKUS defence pact.
  • Morrison has faced criticism during his time as a backbencher, including being censured for secretly swearing himself into multiple ministerial portfolios and his role in the Robodebt scandal.
  • His resignation will prompt a by-election for his seat of Cook, following a career spanning over 16 years in federal parliament.
How do you think this will impact the political landscape? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
Former Prime Minister Scott Morrison has announced that he will be stepping away from the political arena.

In a surprising turn of events, Morrison has declared his retirement from politics, effective from the end of February when the federal parliament reconvenes for the year.

In a statement posted on social media, Morrison revealed his decision to retire, citing his desire to 'take on new challenges in the global corporate sector and spend more time with my family'.

View attachment 39839
Former Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced that he is quitting parliament. Credit: Scott Morrison (ScoMo) / Facebook

Morrison's social media post read: 'Just letting you know (especially everyone locally) that after more than 16 years as the Member for Cook, I have decided to leave parliament at the end of February to take on new challenges in the global corporate sector and spend more time with my family.'

‘I am extremely grateful to my family, friends, local community and local party members and supporters in Cook for their incredible support during this time, [which] has enabled me to serve my country at the highest level and make Australia a stronger, more secure and more prosperous country.’

‘It has been a great honour to serve as the member for Cook and as prime minister.’

‘I also thank my staff and parliamentary colleagues over the years for their friendship and support, especially my deputy leader Josh Frydenberg and deputy PMs Michael McCormack and Barnaby Joyce.’

‘I also want to wish Peter Dutton and his team all the very best and congratulate him on the great job he has done leading our party and the Coalition since the last election. The Shire and southern Sydney is a great place to live and raise a family,’ he added.

‘By giving advance notice of my intention to leave parliament at the end of February, this will give my Party ample time to select a great new candidate who I know will do what's best for our community and bring fresh energy and commitment to the job.’

He continued: ‘I now look forward to continue to enjoying local life here in the Shire and my church community at Horizon with my family and friends, and as always #upupcronulla.’

In his separate statement, the former PM said he ‘would be taking up a series of global strategic advisory roles and private boards, focused on the US and Indo-Pacific’.

Morrison has been out of the main political spotlight since his party lost the big election in 2022.

He kept a low profile in parliament, except for rejecting a proposal about Indigenous representation last May.

In late 2022, he got in trouble for secretly giving himself five government roles during the pandemic.

Also, his involvement in the Robodebt scheme faced more scrutiny after a Royal Commission report was released last year.

Morrison's political journey has been a rollercoaster filled with triumphs, controversies, and challenges.

He first entered the federal parliament as a member of the southern Sydney seat of Cook in 2007.

His political career saw him ascend to various ministerial roles, including immigration minister under Tony Abbott in 2013 and treasurer under Malcolm Turnbull.

In 2018, when Turnbull's support within the Liberal Party crumbled, Morrison emerged victorious in the leadership race.

He led the Coalition to a surprise victory in the 2019 federal election, marking the pinnacle of his political career.

His government's response to the crisis, including the creation of the National Cabinet and the implementation of the Jobkeeper package, earned him both praise and criticism.

Despite the challenges, Morrison's leadership during the pandemic was lauded by Opposition Leader Peter Dutton.

Dutton praised Morrison's quick decision to close the border, which he said saved Australian lives.

He was commended as well in the formation of the AUKUS defence agreement with the US and the UK.

‘In the time he led our country, Scott presided over some of the most difficult challenges an Australian prime minister has known since the Second World War; most notably COVID-19,’ Dutton said.

‘Thanks to Scott's quick decision to close the border, Australian lives were saved. And thanks to his government's Jobeeper package, more than 1 million businesses were supported and more than 4 million Australians had their jobs saved…’

‘But if there is a standout achievement of his government, it was the trilateral security partnership between Australia, the United Kingdom and the United States.’

However, Morrison's government also faced criticism for the delay in obtaining and rolling out COVID-19 vaccines.

His decision to holiday in Hawaii during the height of the Black Summer bushfires in 2019-20 also drew intense scrutiny.

Morrison's departure from parliament will trigger a by-election for Cook later this year. This comes on top of another by-election for Dunkley, in Melbourne, scheduled for Saturday, 2 March, following the death of Labor MP Peta Murphy last year.

In his post-politics life, Morrison is scheduled to release a book in May covering his religious faith and time as prime minister.
Key Takeaways

• Former Prime Minister Scott Morrison has announced his departure from federal politics to pursue new opportunities in the global corporate sector and spend more time with his family.
  • Morrison's political career is notable for his tenure as Treasurer, his surprise victory in the 2019 federal election, his leadership during the COVID-19 pandemic, and the formation of the AUKUS defence pact.
  • Morrison has faced criticism during his time as a backbencher, including being censured for secretly swearing himself into multiple ministerial portfolios and his role in the Robodebt scandal.
  • His resignation will prompt a by-election for his seat of Cook, following a career spanning over 16 years in federal parliament.
How do you think this will impact the political landscape? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

The perfect politician , narcissist,liar,traitor and wef puppet. Bye bye, nobody will miss you, I myself don't hate anyone but you come close.

Reactions: Docit and Rob44
Thank God we''re finally getting rid of that complete and utter AR**HOLE !!! Hopefully, the Yanks will keep him and his Hill-billy religion. He should fit right in ! Couldn't someone persuade him to take ABBOT with him !

Reactions: Robbo3006 and Rob44
Thank God we''re finally getting rid of that complete and utter AR**HOLE !!! Hopefully, the Yanks will keep him and his Hill-billy religion. He should fit right in ! Couldn't someone persuade him to take ABBOT with him !
I wish! And a few more LNP dinosaurs as well, I no longer recognise the liberals anymore, always griping & so negative.

Reactions: Rob44
It's not often that someone rises to great heights and high income by being sacked for incompetence three times in a row; NZ, Australia and then Australia again! However, Morrison achieved that and gained fame because of it. Australia's very own version of Boris dePiffle Johnson.

• Haha
Reactions: PattiB
What

You should get your glasses checked. Integrity and wisdom are not terms that come to mind when thinking of Scott Morrison. Slippery, corrupt, condescending, useless and gutless would be nearer the mark. Possibly the worst PM that Australia has ever had, although Tony Abbott might just pip him at the post on that one.
I didn't like Scomo either but Albosleezy is by far worse ... time for this useless linear to resign too. The big 4 parties have to go....

• Sad

View attachment 39839

Key Takeaways

As much as former prime minister Scott Morrison is derided by his opponents, they can never take away what was possibly his prime achievement. In fact, Labor in government continues to support that achievement. Morrison’s strong successful implementation of Operation Sovereign Borders provided a security blueprint still being used today. As PM, however, Morrison erred by ceding authority during Covid to state governments.

I was just going to ask if he still gets the handout from the Australian Government for the rest of his life as well as getting a wage in America. Now we know why we don't have any Australian Cars and the oversized American Trucks have been imported. He was setting himself up while he was turning the knife on Australia
He became a politician under the scheme that came into being in 2004. Can only draw down from the age of 60. But, can contribute up to 50% of his pay to his super (before tax) which is how most of them operate in the last year in parliament. Around the time they resign to spend more time with the family. Then miraculously get an over paid sweetheart job from an organisation they 'helped' during their tenure. :)

Reactions: Docit and PattiB
Friends, Romans, Countrymen, Iend me your ears
I come to bury Caesar not to Praise
Him.
Is there nothing that could be said
In his favour ? Obviously Public
Opinion Rules,and that is the way it is
Everybody is entitled to their own opinion
that is what we have in our democracy.
And we have the privilege to state our case
The Freedom of Speech is one of the
Privileges we have.
I have spoken about how I feel in this case, I am also
Claiming my right, just as you have to my or your
Opinion.
To each his own, opinion, as Paddy kissed the Pig

• Love
Friends, Romans, Countrymen, Iend me your ears
I come to bury Caesar not to Praise
Him.
Is there nothing that could be said
In his favour ? Obviously Public
Opinion Rules,and that is the way it is
Everybody is entitled to their own opinion
that is what we have in our democracy.
And we have the privilege to state our case
The Freedom of Speech is one of the
Privileges we have.
I have spoken about how I feel in this case, I am also
Claiming my right, just as you have to my or your
Opinion.
To each his own, opinion, as Paddy kissed the Pig
You are so right Brody everyone is entitled to their opinion regardless of what others think. I don’t agree with you this time but that’s okay. We all need to be respectful of other people’s feelings. I totally disagree with a lot of opinions expressed, especially trump supporters! That is a view that I’ll never understand.

I didn't like Scomo either but Albosleezy is by far worse ... time for this useless linear to resign too. The big 4 parties have to go....
How can you compare Albo to Morrison? Our country appears to be much calmer than it was before, far less of the constant drama that seemed to accompany the former PM. I actually stopped watching & reading the news.

Reactions: Docit
I don't say this to disagree with you Brody - just a reminder to those that think they have such protection - opinions differ from all out free speech and some should remember-
This is NOT America - We do not have the 1st Amendment.
What are the problems with freedom of speech in Australia?
The Australian Constitution does not expressly protect the freedom of expression and there are also limitations that can inhibit creative freedom in some situations, including defamation, anti-vilification, classification and censorship laws and the treason and urging violence offences.
But hey, we have plenty of comments that would draw upon the diminished responsibility defence.

He became a politician under the scheme that came into being in 2004. Can only draw down from the age of 60. But, can contribute up to 50% of his pay to his super (before tax) which is how most of them operate in the last year in parliament. Around the time they resign to spend more time with the family. Then miraculously get an over paid sweetheart job from an organisation they 'helped' during their tenure. :)
Thanks for letting me know the law around pollies retirement plans. I should have become a politician 🙂

I don't say this to disagree with you Brody - just a reminder to those that think they have such protection - opinions differ from all out free speech and some should remember-
This is NOT America - We do not have the 1st Amendment.
What are the problems with freedom of speech in Australia?
The Australian Constitution does not expressly protect the freedom of expression and there are also limitations that can inhibit creative freedom in some situations, including defamation, anti-vilification, classification and censorship laws and the treason and urging violence offences.
But hey, we have plenty of comments that would draw upon the diminished responsibility defence.
I had a discussion with my son a few years back about our alleged freedom of speech & he confirmed my belief that we weren’t fully protected as those in the US are. I believe that we have a right to our opinions as long as we’re not disrespectful to others so I totally agree with your comments. I also feel that a lot of our members cross the line at times. Love the last line in your comments Knell.

Reactions: Knell
How will he cope in these tough times on his lucrative index 6-figure pension with perks.....Sumbo.... My vocabulary is at the end of its tether.
The fact that Trump gave him the 'Legion of Merit' means Trump has gone down my estimation.
How on earth could Trump go any further down?

Reactions: PattiB and IAN3005
What

You should get your glasses checked. Integrity and wisdom are not terms that come to mind when thinking of Scott Morrison. Slippery, corrupt, condescending, useless and gutless would be nearer the mark. Possibly the worst PM that Australia has ever had, although Tony Abbott might just pip him at the post on that one.
Very harsh assessment of Scott Morrison I believe. His reign included the difficult Covid time in which he and his government handled reasonably well. He really lost me when he allowed himself to be bullied into that ridiculous net zero by 2050 rubbish by the climate catastrophists at the COP 28 task fest in Scotland. Scott Morrison is a genius in comparison to that serial liar and ignorant fool of a PM Albanese who surely is the worst PM we have seen.

• Sad
Reactions: PattiB and IAN3005
Very harsh assessment of Scott Morrison I believe. His reign included the difficult Covid time in which he and his government handled reasonably well. He really lost me when he allowed himself to be bullied into that ridiculous net zero by 2050 rubbish by the climate catastrophists at the COP 28 task fest in Scotland. Scott Morrison is a genius in comparison to that serial liar and ignorant fool of a PM Albanese who surely is the worst PM we have seen.
He's a Bozo just like the other PM's.. corrupt as they come....

Reactions: Rob44 and Brody
I hope the smarmy git burns in hell, he screwed this country and now will walk away with plenty of money to see him and his family through, stuff everyone else. I think we shouldn't give him any air time whatsoever, let's all turn our back on him to show him he isn't worth the effort.

Reactions: Rob44 and PattiB
I hope the smarmy git burns in hell, he screwed this country and now will walk away with plenty of money to see him and his family through, stuff everyone else. I think we shouldn't give him any air time whatsoever, let's all turn our back on him to show him he isn't worth the effort.
Amen... perfectly put......

Reactions: Rob44 and PattiB

View attachment 39839

Key Takeaways

Good riddance

Reactions: IAN3005 and Rob44