Scientists may have found a way to detect Alzheimer's early with just an eye exam! Here’s what you need to know

The field of health and medicine is constantly advancing and evolving, along with the technologies and tests available to diagnose and treat diseases.

The more we can identify these diseases in their early stages, the more we can protect ourselves from the devastating damage that can be caused.

Alzheimer's is one such disease that in some cases, can be hard to detect early on and progress quickly if left unnoticed or untreated.

However, a recent discovery could provide medical professionals with the breakthrough they need to detect Alzheimer's earlier in patients than ever before.

women-friends-friendship-helping-together-160767.jpeg

Early detection is important for Alzheimer’s so the patients and their families can prepare better for their care arrangements and needs. Credit: Pexels/Pixabay.

According to neurosurgeon Dr Rahul Jandial, the eyes could show early signs of Alzheimer's, with clinical trials already being conducted to explore this further.

He explained that Alzheimer's changes the brain and it could be detected when examining the back of the eyeball, an area that may be much more closely related to the brain than previously thought.

Dr Jandial remarked: 'They compared brains of people who had passed away with Alzheimer's, and they looked at the retina, and the correlation was so strong that now we're starting clinical trials.’

Typically, tests for Alzheimer's involve PET scans and lumbar punctures, both of which can be quite invasive. But the latest research might offer a much less intimidating way of identifying the disease early on.

'The back of the eye is really where it's at,' he continued.

'So diabetes, stroke, high cholesterol, when you go to your regular doctor, you can have diabetes and feel fine but when they tell you the back of your eye, the optic disc or the retina or the nerve is being damaged, people take that seriously.'

While it is still in its early stages, if this eye test could provide a more accessible and comfortable way to detect Alzheimer's quickly, it could make all the difference for those living with and managing the disease.

Early detection is of paramount importance when it comes to the successful treatment and management of Alzheimer's disease.

The earlier the diagnosis, the better prepared a patient will be for the disease's progression.

Eye disorders that could signal the onset of Alzheimer's Disease.jpg
Eye conditions that could possibly signal Alzheimer’s disease. Credit: Seniors Discount Club.

Early diagnosis also allows for earlier access to interventions, such as early dementia support, lifestyle changes, and medications, all of which can potentially slow down or help manage the symptoms of the condition.

Furthermore, early detection can help a patient to start planning ahead and making important decisions in advance regarding long-term care.

Key Takeaways
  • A new study reveals that the eyes could show early signs of Alzheimer's disease with clinical trials underway to explore the breakthrough further.
  • Dr Rahul Jandial, a scientist and neurosurgeon, believes that doctors may be able to detect changes to the brain by examining the back of the eyeball, which may be more closely connected to the brain than previously thought.
  • Current tests for Alzheimer's involve potentially dangerous procedures like PET scans and lumbar punctures, but this new eye test could provide a much less invasive detection method.
  • Alzheimer's is the latest disease that can be checked for in the early stages by assessing the back of the eye, along with diabetes, stroke, and high cholesterol.

We'll have to wait and see how this breakthrough unfolds, but with further research and more clinical trials, who knows – one day soon, we could have the early detection method we've all been hoping for!

Aside from early detection procedures, we’re also on the lookout for some trials for a cure for Alzheimer’s Disease, including this new technology being developed by the Queensland Brain Institute.

What are your thoughts on this? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Oh, the world needs more of intensive research into any mind affecting ailment.
My darling mum suffered terribly in the later stages of dementia. It was horrifying to see what she went through in the end. So many times, in her stable years, she said her fervent hope, when her time came, was to go to bed one night and pass peacefully.
Dementia robbed her of that and her last few days were soul destroying and terrifying.
If someone contacted me to ask if I want to be involved in a trial, or whatever, I only need to think back on those final days for mum before I put my hand up and say stick me at the head of the line.
So many people are suffering with all stages of this disease. There must be an answer.

I would gladly have the test. I worked in aged care for fifteen years and watching clients and their families go through the Alzheimer’s, dementia journey was heart breaking. My mother in law also suffered with it for about fifteen years before she passed away, the last three years of her life were cruel and she suffered so much. I spent many hours at the nursing home holding her hand trying to calm and settle her. Bring on euthanasia, I will be signing up for that as well, unless I have dementia before I get the chance. My grandmother and several uncles and aunts also suffered from it so I am in the firing line.

The field of health and medicine is constantly advancing and evolving, along with the technologies and tests available to diagnose and treat diseases.

The more we can identify these diseases in their early stages, the more we can protect ourselves from the devastating damage that can be caused.

Alzheimer's is one such disease that in some cases, can be hard to detect early on and progress quickly if left unnoticed or untreated.

However, a recent discovery could provide medical professionals with the breakthrough they need to detect Alzheimer's earlier in patients than ever before.

Early detection is important for Alzheimer’s so the patients and their families can prepare better for their care arrangements and needs. Credit: Pexels/Pixabay.

According to neurosurgeon Dr Rahul Jandial, the eyes could show early signs of Alzheimer's, with clinical trials already being conducted to explore this further.

He explained that Alzheimer's changes the brain and it could be detected when examining the back of the eyeball, an area that may be much more closely related to the brain than previously thought.

Dr Jandial remarked: 'They compared brains of people who had passed away with Alzheimer's, and they looked at the retina, and the correlation was so strong that now we're starting clinical trials.’

Typically, tests for Alzheimer's involve PET scans and lumbar punctures, both of which can be quite invasive. But the latest research might offer a much less intimidating way of identifying the disease early on.

'So diabetes, stroke, high cholesterol, when you go to your regular doctor, you can have diabetes and feel fine but when they tell you the back of your eye, the optic disc or the retina or the nerve is being damaged, people take that seriously.'

While it is still in its early stages, if this eye test could provide a more accessible and comfortable way to detect Alzheimer's quickly, it could make all the difference for those living with and managing the disease.

Early detection is of paramount importance when it comes to the successful treatment and management of Alzheimer's disease.

The earlier the diagnosis, the better prepared a patient will be for the disease's progression.

View attachment 16859
Eye conditions that could possibly signal Alzheimer’s disease. Credit: Seniors Discount Club.

Early diagnosis also allows for earlier access to interventions, such as early dementia support, lifestyle changes, and medications, all of which can potentially slow down or help manage the symptoms of the condition.

Furthermore, early detection can help a patient to start planning ahead and making important decisions in advance regarding long-term care.

Key Takeaways

• A new study reveals that the eyes could show early signs of Alzheimer's disease with clinical trials underway to explore the breakthrough further.
  • Dr Rahul Jandial, a scientist and neurosurgeon, believes that doctors may be able to detect changes to the brain by examining the back of the eyeball, which may be more closely connected to the brain than previously thought.
  • Current tests for Alzheimer's involve potentially dangerous procedures like PET scans and lumbar punctures, but this new eye test could provide a much less invasive detection method.
  • Alzheimer's is the latest disease that can be checked for in the early stages by assessing the back of the eye, along with diabetes, stroke, and high cholesterol.

We'll have to wait and see how this breakthrough unfolds, but with further research and more clinical trials, who knows – one day soon, we could have the early detection method we've all been hoping for!

Aside from early detection procedures, we’re also on the lookout for some trials for a cure for Alzheimer’s Disease, including this new technology being developed by the Queensland Brain Institute.

Bring it on! Currently not many successful options!

View attachment 16859

Key Takeaways

My mother had dementia. She was a very intelligent woman and watching her deteriorate was heartbreaking. She had high blood pressure, mini strokes and then ended up with diabetes. My brothers refused to visit her which broke her heart. Her sister stopped visiting her as she didn't know who she was. I loved with mum for 12 months until she stopped walking then I want Sable to support her the way I use to. She had to move into aged care. They were amazing with the live they showed her.
When I visited her towards the end which was everyday. She didn't know me, her daughter. Instead in her eyes I was her sister that stopped visiting her because she didn't know who she was.
With people with dementia you need to go along with them and keep them safe.
I am certainly glad to here of this breakthrough and looking forward to hearing about a curer.

View attachment 16859

Key Takeaways

This is awesome news. This is a dreadful disease and affects more than the patient. If early detection can make treatment and coping easier, this will be the discovery of the decade.