I used to love school fete day. There were so many yummy things to choose from. We could buy a single fairy cake, toffee or small packets of pink and white coconut ice, rocky road, marshmallows rolled in coconut, lots of treats for a couple of cents each. I think we ate junk food all day. There was always fairy floss, and toffee apples on a stick. We got to help on the stalls instead of doing lessons, and we usually got an early mark as once the fete finished so did school. I’m sure the demise of school fetes has to do with so much food safety and dietary requirements, no school wants to be hit with a lawsuit for someone getting sick from eating something they shouldn’t have. Our local aged care village held their fete recently, the first time since covid. I’m not sure if they had a cake stall as I didn’t go. I don’t see the Red Cross, cwa or other groups holding cake stalls down the street anymore like they used to. It is a shame as they were good fundraising activities and people loved to buy the home made goodies they sold. Now I just think there are too many restrictions on what you can and can’t do to make it a worthwhile activity.
I don't think people even know how to make all the food that we got from fetes. And I remember the trash n treasure stalls but now everyone sells on ebay . Maybe people just aren't as giving in today's society.
I used to love fetes

I used to have a tshirt with a “magpie and crazy magpie lady”painted on it I used to wear.every where I wore it people used to say “go Maggie’s”or “go the pies”and I’m like what on earth are they on about.then it dawned on me oh crap they think I barrack for Collingwood. I’m sort of a st kilda and Geelong supporter I’m not big on sport.so I cut it up and glued it to a canvas I had and added “lives here”and it now hangs on my front door. So now it says”crazy magpie lady lives here”.😈😈
Oh and when people come to the door they still say “go Maggie’s”🤷🏼‍♀️😈in all my life I have never been swooped by a magpie anywhere I’ve lived.I’ve always even today still feed them mince and cheese their fav food and they bring their babies .if I leave my back door open they invite themselves in their cheeky little rascals.they love my cat maybe cos he’s black and white also.😹😹

Last edited:
I used to have a tshirt with a “magpie and crazy magpie lady”painted on it I used to wear.every where I wore it people used to say “go Maggie’s”or “go the pies”and I’m like what on earth are they on about.then it dawned on me oh crap they think I barrack for Collingwood. I’m sort of a st kilda and Geelong supporter I’m not big on sport.so I cut it up and glued it to a canvas I had and added “lives here”and it now hangs on my front door. So now it says”crazy magpie lady lives here”.😈😈
Love it.😂

Reactions: Littleboy8
Oh and when people come to the door they still say “go Maggie’s”🤷🏼‍♀️😈in all my life I have never been swooped by a magpie anywhere I’ve lived.I’ve always even today still feed them mince and cheese their fav food and they bring their babies .if I leave my back door open they invite themselves in their cheeky little rascals.they love my cat maybe cos he’s black and white also.😹😹
They really are lovely birds and when you start feeding them, then you have friends for life. 👍😉

Reactions: Littleboy8