Scammers increasingly targeting online sellers

Here at the Seniors Discount Club, we’re all about helping our community live their best lives by providing the latest news, advice, and discounts. Part of this mission includes keeping you informed on potential scams so you can protect yourself and your hard-earned funds.

We live in a world where selling unwanted or used items online has become increasingly popular. Websites like Facebook Marketplace and Gumtree have become go-to platforms to turn our clutter into cash. However, recent data suggests that online sellers need to remain vigilant to avoid falling prey to predators lurking in the shadows.

1685515105059.png
According to the NAB, there has been a rise in scams specifically targeting individuals who use online platforms to sell their unwanted or unused items. Photo by Tara Winstead

The National Australia Bank (NAB) has issued a warning concerning the considerable increase in scams targeting Aussies selling goods online. According to the data released by the bank, goods and services scams have risen by a staggering 66% in the past three months alone.

It appears that many of these scams revolve around exploiting the PayID service, a free tool that allows individuals to send and receive money via mobile phone numbers, email addresses, or ABNs. NAB's executive for group investigations and fraud, Chris Sheehan, warns that scammers have identified online marketplaces as a key opportunity to rip people off.

'We are getting reports of people selling an old TV or fridge online and being inundated with identical messages from scammers wanting to purchase the item with PayID,' explains Sheehan.

Scammers are capitalising on the fact that PayID is a relatively new method of transferring funds instantly. The primary red flag is when someone requests payments to upgrade or access PayID, given it is a free service.

Sheehan emphasises, 'There are never any charges related to using PayID.'

Furthermore, it is essential to note that PayID will never contact you directly via email, text, or message since your bank manages the service. Hence, any communication received directly from 'PayID' should be treated as a scam.

Last year, Scamwatch reported that Australians lost $260,000 to PayID impersonation scams.

How To Spot A Scam​

1. Be suspicious if buyers insist on using PayID and claim your transaction can't be completed due to the lack of a 'business' account.
  2. Be cautious if they say they've sent extra money to upgrade your account and they provide fake email evidence, urging you to reimburse them. Remember, no money will ever appear in your account.

NAB advises PayID users to remember that:​

1. You'll never need to send money to receive a PayID payment.
  2. Additional actions like upgrading an account to receive funds are unnecessary.
  3. Communication from PayID via email, text, or messenger is very likely a scam, as your bank manages the service.

Key Takeaways

• People selling unwanted or used items on websites such as Facebook Marketplace and Gumtree are at increased risk of being targeted by scammers.
  • The National Australia Bank (NAB) released new customer data showing goods and services scams have increased 66 per cent in the past three months.
  • A third of those reports involved criminals trying to exploit PayID, a free service on which scammers have focused.
  • Australians lost $260,000 to PayID impersonation scams last year, according to Scamwatch.
Dear members of the Seniors Discount Club, as you navigate the realm of online selling, we would like to hear from you. What precautions do you take to ensure a safe and secure online selling experience? Have you encountered any scams or suspicious requests in the past?

Share your insights, tips, and experiences to help us all stay vigilant and protected. Remember, together, we can create a safer environment for online transactions. Happy (and safe) online selling!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
I don't like Marketplace or Gumtree and will stick with paying by PayPal (which can have problems as well) or direct deposit. I do buy a lot online and would rather go to Ebay, I try to buy new goods there at a reasonable price. There is also Ozsale.

Here at the Seniors Discount Club, we’re all about helping our community live their best lives by providing the latest news, advice, and discounts. Part of this mission includes keeping you informed on potential scams so you can protect yourself and your hard-earned funds.

We live in a world where selling unwanted or used items online has become increasingly popular. Websites like Facebook Marketplace and Gumtree have become go-to platforms to turn our clutter into cash. However, recent data suggests that online sellers need to remain vigilant to avoid falling prey to predators lurking in the shadows.

View attachment 21153
According to the NAB, there has been a rise in scams specifically targeting individuals who use online platforms to sell their unwanted or unused items. Photo by Tara Winstead

The National Australia Bank (NAB) has issued a warning concerning the considerable increase in scams targeting Aussies selling goods online. According to the data released by the bank, goods and services scams have risen by a staggering 66% in the past three months alone.

It appears that many of these scams revolve around exploiting the PayID service, a free tool that allows individuals to send and receive money via mobile phone numbers, email addresses, or ABNs. NAB's executive for group investigations and fraud, Chris Sheehan, warns that scammers have identified online marketplaces as a key opportunity to rip people off.

'We are getting reports of people selling an old TV or fridge online and being inundated with identical messages from scammers wanting to purchase the item with PayID,' explains Sheehan.

Scammers are capitalising on the fact that PayID is a relatively new method of transferring funds instantly. The primary red flag is when someone requests payments to upgrade or access PayID, given it is a free service.

Furthermore, it is essential to note that PayID will never contact you directly via email, text, or message since your bank manages the service. Hence, any communication received directly from 'PayID' should be treated as a scam.

Last year, Scamwatch reported that Australians lost $260,000 to PayID impersonation scams.

How To Spot A Scam​

1. Be suspicious if buyers insist on using PayID and claim your transaction can't be completed due to the lack of a 'business' account.
  2. Be cautious if they say they've sent extra money to upgrade your account and they provide fake email evidence, urging you to reimburse them. Remember, no money will ever appear in your account.

2. Additional actions like upgrading an account to receive funds are unnecessary.
  3. Communication from PayID via email, text, or messenger is very likely a scam, as your bank manages the service.

Key Takeaways

• People selling unwanted or used items on websites such as Facebook Marketplace and Gumtree are at increased risk of being targeted by scammers.
  • The National Australia Bank (NAB) released new customer data showing goods and services scams have increased 66 per cent in the past three months.
  • A third of those reports involved criminals trying to exploit PayID, a free service on which scammers have focused.
  • Australians lost $260,000 to PayID impersonation scams last year, according to Scamwatch.
Dear members of the Seniors Discount Club, as you navigate the realm of online selling, we would like to hear from you. What precautions do you take to ensure a safe and secure online selling experience? Have you encountered any scams or suspicious requests in the past?

Share your insights, tips, and experiences to help us all stay vigilant and protected. Remember, together, we can create a safer environment for online transactions. Happy (and safe) online selling!
If I sell anything like my suede survivor of Woodstock, or other mementos payment will be either cash on pickup or Paypal?

I currently have a couple of things for sale on Gumtree. Less than a minute - literally - after posting the ad for a chair ($30) I was contacted by someone by text from a very unusual number. They asked a couple of relevant questions but then wanted to arrange the chair to be sent via a courier service because they claimed to be interstate. Red flags all around here. So I did a reverse check on the number only to discover it was a limited number listed in Orange NSW (I am in Sydney). They also sent instructions as a download which I ignored. I declined their offer. After all the cost of using a courier service far outweighed the price I wanted for the chair even though they apparently were prepared to pay. Like Luckyus, I only deal in cash when or if I sell anything.

Last edited:

View attachment 21153

How To Spot A Scam​

Key Takeaways

Reactions: Jarred Santos
Unfortunately I have been scammed with Pay ID as well as a direct payment to an account…..$189 and $65 respectively, through Marketplace online. I tried numerous times to “contact” sellers to no avail. I was gutted and so disappointed. Take care buyers. Di

I don't like Marketplace or Gumtree and will stick with paying by PayPal (which can have problems as well) or direct deposit. I do buy a lot online and would rather go to Ebay, I try to buy new goods there at a reasonable price. There is also Ozsale.
Someone tried that with my wife on market place she never got caught will only take cash for what she sells I only buy on line with PAYPAL 13 years never had a problem when someone sent me something that was different to what was advertised PAYPAL got my money back

I don't use Payid. I'm giving my stuff ( funiture, clothes, shoes, household & so on) to the needy. I don't care about the amount of $ I have lost. Scammers are the lowest form of life. We need computer experts to hunt these lying individuals out. I was scammed on a facebook duplication identity. They used The Lions Club to gain grants. I lost $2700 & got the police in. Thanks to my sister, Maxine, she gave me the funds I lost. The male Scammer said he was a God fearing man. he better be, because if he is not punished on our planet, you do not want to die & go to the afterlife. You will be held accountable. God does not take kindly scammers using his title. This is a message for all crooks, if you do not hand yourself in to the authorities, You will not like to face God. Love is more powerful then evil.

View attachment 21153

How To Spot A Scam​

Key Takeaways

I had that happen just recently. Half way through, I sensed things weren't right. The buyer was wanting to pay through PayID. Told him that I don't use it. I said that I use PayPal, deposit the money into my account or cash when he picks the goods up. This was through Marketplace. He started getting angry, I told him that he sounded like a scammer. I immediately stopped all communication with him and blocked him. These people are cold hearted and don't care about anybody else. Stay alert people.

Unfortunately we were scammed $2,000 by placing an ad on Gumtree for a car. Buyer who turned out to be fake, said he was in the outback and wanted to pay to our PayPal account as he couldn't get to a bank. We gave details but then he asked if we could pay the transport fee of delivery which he would refund to same account.
We received email confirmation from PayPal which turned out to be fake confirming they were holding the money.
When they asked for more for rego we became suspicious and took it to the Police who confirmed it was a very elaborate scam but we never got our money back.
We learned that now we need to eyeball them.
Be very wary. J & G

Some people seen to fall for these scams again and again. Why would your bank, Paypal or any other financial institution who have your account info want your account details and PIN's etc.? Why would anyone buying something off you want you to pay for it? And if someone says they will give you money or a refund (when you know they don't owe you any money) is another no brainer. They are using human greed as a bait to haul suckers in. Wake up!

Like any child, they do what they want because there are no consequences for them even if they are caught out. The worst that anyone can do to them is knock back their offer to buy. They never get punished for their wrongdoings. What a different world it would be if they were punished every time. I got suspicious of someone trying that on me (PayID) so I rang the bank who confirmed that a buyer will NEVER need my credit card details. Cash on pick up only from now on.

Unfortunately we were scammed $2,000 by placing an ad on Gumtree for a car. Buyer who turned out to be fake, said he was in the outback and wanted to pay to our PayPal account as he couldn't get to a bank. We gave details but then he asked if we could pay the transport fee of delivery which he would refund to same account.
We received email confirmation from PayPal which turned out to be fake confirming they were holding the money.
When they asked for more for rego we became suspicious and took it to the Police who confirmed it was a very elaborate scam but we never got our money back.
We learned that now we need to eyeball them.
Be very wary. J & G
My Motto is always check to see if you have received your money before handing over the goods. Otherwise only deal in cash sales.

View attachment 21153

How To Spot A Scam​

Key Takeaways

Why show us American dollar bills? Why not Russian or Chinese bills or... well simply Aussie bills as NAB happens to be the National AUSTRALIA Bank, not the National America Bank. I am starting to wonder whether this site is being run by Americans.1685931955608.png

View attachment 21153

How To Spot A Scam​

Key Takeaways

I am currently trying to sell a used couch on Facebook Marketplace. Within an hour of putting the ad on, I had 3 people try to use this PayID scam. The email address was from a Gmail account, so it wasn't even a real bank email address! The 4th person, after I changed the ad stating no PayID, tried saying he'd send COD with FedEx to pick up the couch! I laughed at his attempt, looked at his profile and replied, nice try but it would probably be more convincing if you lived in Australia! I then blocked him as well. This scam is very real. Bloody scumbags!

Let's not forget eBay. I bought an item in good faith believing it was as advertised, but the advertisement claimed the item was a tuner/metronome, but it was just a metronome, not a tuner. I eventually got my money back, but despite my reporting the ads, eBay have not removed them. Caveat emptor.