Scammers increasingly targeting online sellers

Here at the Seniors Discount Club, we’re all about helping our community live their best lives by providing the latest news, advice, and discounts. Part of this mission includes keeping you informed on potential scams so you can protect yourself and your hard-earned funds.

We live in a world where selling unwanted or used items online has become increasingly popular. Websites like Facebook Marketplace and Gumtree have become go-to platforms to turn our clutter into cash. However, recent data suggests that online sellers need to remain vigilant to avoid falling prey to predators lurking in the shadows.

1685515105059.png
According to the NAB, there has been a rise in scams specifically targeting individuals who use online platforms to sell their unwanted or unused items. Photo by Tara Winstead

The National Australia Bank (NAB) has issued a warning concerning the considerable increase in scams targeting Aussies selling goods online. According to the data released by the bank, goods and services scams have risen by a staggering 66% in the past three months alone.

It appears that many of these scams revolve around exploiting the PayID service, a free tool that allows individuals to send and receive money via mobile phone numbers, email addresses, or ABNs. NAB's executive for group investigations and fraud, Chris Sheehan, warns that scammers have identified online marketplaces as a key opportunity to rip people off.

'We are getting reports of people selling an old TV or fridge online and being inundated with identical messages from scammers wanting to purchase the item with PayID,' explains Sheehan.

Scammers are capitalising on the fact that PayID is a relatively new method of transferring funds instantly. The primary red flag is when someone requests payments to upgrade or access PayID, given it is a free service.

Sheehan emphasises, 'There are never any charges related to using PayID.'

Furthermore, it is essential to note that PayID will never contact you directly via email, text, or message since your bank manages the service. Hence, any communication received directly from 'PayID' should be treated as a scam.

Last year, Scamwatch reported that Australians lost $260,000 to PayID impersonation scams.

How To Spot A Scam​

1. Be suspicious if buyers insist on using PayID and claim your transaction can't be completed due to the lack of a 'business' account.
  2. Be cautious if they say they've sent extra money to upgrade your account and they provide fake email evidence, urging you to reimburse them. Remember, no money will ever appear in your account.

NAB advises PayID users to remember that:​

1. You'll never need to send money to receive a PayID payment.
  2. Additional actions like upgrading an account to receive funds are unnecessary.
  3. Communication from PayID via email, text, or messenger is very likely a scam, as your bank manages the service.

Key Takeaways

• People selling unwanted or used items on websites such as Facebook Marketplace and Gumtree are at increased risk of being targeted by scammers.
  • The National Australia Bank (NAB) released new customer data showing goods and services scams have increased 66 per cent in the past three months.
  • A third of those reports involved criminals trying to exploit PayID, a free service on which scammers have focused.
  • Australians lost $260,000 to PayID impersonation scams last year, according to Scamwatch.
Dear members of the Seniors Discount Club, as you navigate the realm of online selling, we would like to hear from you. What precautions do you take to ensure a safe and secure online selling experience? Have you encountered any scams or suspicious requests in the past?

Share your insights, tips, and experiences to help us all stay vigilant and protected. Remember, together, we can create a safer environment for online transactions. Happy (and safe) online selling!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
Let's not forget eBay. I bought an item in good faith believing it was as advertised, but the advertisement claimed the item was a tuner/metronome, but it was just a metronome, not a tuner. I eventually got my money back, but despite my reporting the ads, eBay have not removed them. Caveat emptor.
My partner and I were talking about Ebay this morning about the postage. Sellers can send the information to Australia Post that the item has been sent, however, that doesn't mean it's physically been dispatched. Just notifying them of a parcel to post

Reactions: Jarred Santos
Here at the Seniors Discount Club, we’re all about helping our community live their best lives by providing the latest news, advice, and discounts. Part of this mission includes keeping you informed on potential scams so you can protect yourself and your hard-earned funds.

We live in a world where selling unwanted or used items online has become increasingly popular. Websites like Facebook Marketplace and Gumtree have become go-to platforms to turn our clutter into cash. However, recent data suggests that online sellers need to remain vigilant to avoid falling prey to predators lurking in the shadows.

View attachment 21153
According to the NAB, there has been a rise in scams specifically targeting individuals who use online platforms to sell their unwanted or unused items. Photo by Tara Winstead

The National Australia Bank (NAB) has issued a warning concerning the considerable increase in scams targeting Aussies selling goods online. According to the data released by the bank, goods and services scams have risen by a staggering 66% in the past three months alone.

It appears that many of these scams revolve around exploiting the PayID service, a free tool that allows individuals to send and receive money via mobile phone numbers, email addresses, or ABNs. NAB's executive for group investigations and fraud, Chris Sheehan, warns that scammers have identified online marketplaces as a key opportunity to rip people off.

'We are getting reports of people selling an old TV or fridge online and being inundated with identical messages from scammers wanting to purchase the item with PayID,' explains Sheehan.

Scammers are capitalising on the fact that PayID is a relatively new method of transferring funds instantly. The primary red flag is when someone requests payments to upgrade or access PayID, given it is a free service.

Furthermore, it is essential to note that PayID will never contact you directly via email, text, or message since your bank manages the service. Hence, any communication received directly from 'PayID' should be treated as a scam.

Last year, Scamwatch reported that Australians lost $260,000 to PayID impersonation scams.

How To Spot A Scam​

1. Be suspicious if buyers insist on using PayID and claim your transaction can't be completed due to the lack of a 'business' account.
  2. Be cautious if they say they've sent extra money to upgrade your account and they provide fake email evidence, urging you to reimburse them. Remember, no money will ever appear in your account.

2. Additional actions like upgrading an account to receive funds are unnecessary.
  3. Communication from PayID via email, text, or messenger is very likely a scam, as your bank manages the service.

Key Takeaways

• People selling unwanted or used items on websites such as Facebook Marketplace and Gumtree are at increased risk of being targeted by scammers.
  • The National Australia Bank (NAB) released new customer data showing goods and services scams have increased 66 per cent in the past three months.
  • A third of those reports involved criminals trying to exploit PayID, a free service on which scammers have focused.
  • Australians lost $260,000 to PayID impersonation scams last year, according to Scamwatch.
Dear members of the Seniors Discount Club, as you navigate the realm of online selling, we would like to hear from you. What precautions do you take to ensure a safe and secure online selling experience? Have you encountered any scams or suspicious requests in the past?

Share your insights, tips, and experiences to help us all stay vigilant and protected. Remember, together, we can create a safer environment for online transactions. Happy (and safe) online selling!
I had a recent experience whereby my PayPal payment details were compromised & I found out when a scammer text messaged me on my phone advising an amount was posted to my PayPal account from Nigeria ^ if this wasn't me to contact a 1800 number - very similar to the 1800 PayPal contact number.

The scammer had people in the background answering phones with the PayPal script and sounded authentic My credit card provider at that time was BankWest and all my credit details lodged with PayPal (including the CCV) were sent to me as confirmation they were genuine and they asked for authorisation when I got a message from BankWest - which was actually confirming the first transaction they had raised through the credit card details. They then sent 4 other amounts through & when I woke up to what was going on I contacted BankWest - had to wait 38 minutes before they answered - which allowed the first transaction to go through. When I alerted PAyPal they denied detail "leakage" was possible & BankWest suggested I contact the scammers company direct and request a refund!

They actually processed the 1st scam amount 2 days AFTER I alerted them. After much stuffing around between the BankWest; Finance Ombudsman, I finally got the scammed amount (plus late payment fee + interest) credited and closed the credit card account. The way the banking system tries to stonewall refunds from a scam and the rigmarole people have to go through to get satisfaction or refunds is pathetic ( takes up to 45 days for banks to respond under the system) and people should always respond immediately & if the banks are tardy go direct to the finance ombudsman.

My experience was obviously of a very sophisticated scam and has made me very wary of online messages; purchases & response to claims sent by text that a (unauthorised) payment has been made

View attachment 21153

How To Spot A Scam​

Key Takeaways

So true. Due to the severe floods I lost one of my tractors and I am looking for another one of that similar size. I went to a webpage and also in Facebook and of course I found the one I need and was keen to buy it.
Everything went fine until the seller wanted me to pay ufpront and then he would deliver the tractor at his costs to my property.
I said I wouldn't do ti, and he told me that he would have been happy for a large deposit into his bank account before he was delivering it to me.
Again I refused and I told him that I would supply him with a Bank Guarantee (MY BANK WAS TO DO SO) which would have been payble in full as soon as the tractor was delivered.

I HAVE NEVER HEARD BACK FROM HIM. And, surprise surprise, after a search I found out that the NT Govt. released his business name as a scam.

Be carefull people. There are too many ruthless people willing to scam you out of your money in the days and age.

Let's not forget eBay. I bought an item in good faith believing it was as advertised, but the advertisement claimed the item was a tuner/metronome, but it was just a metronome, not a tuner. I eventually got my money back, but despite my reporting the ads, eBay have not removed them. Caveat emptor.
Caveat emptor, let the buyer be aware indeed. I haven't sold more than 3 or 4 items myself & was paid cash without asking. I am not up with these new methods of paying for purchases & what will make it easy for a scammer now is my age, l guess. Reminds me of the saying, 'show me your money first'. I will continue, as suggested, to ask for cash only.

I am certain those lowlife people have much time on their hands to dream up a scheme to con folks.

[ We prefer to give items away if at all possible, quite the opposite to my parents. Just after we married (51 years ago), we needed blankets & were sold, yes sold, not given some old grey army blankets (more than 30 years old). We pride ourselves in being charitable wherever possible. Not rich but reasonably happy]

My Motto is always check to see if you have received your money before handing over the goods. Otherwise only deal in cash sales.
We didn't hand over any goods, we still had the car which we eventually sold down the track a bit. The $2,000 had been sent to the fake transport company for which we'd received so called authorisation from PayPal to pay. We won't get caught again.

Doesn't Paypal guarantee you a refund if you don't get the goods.?
Only if it is truly PayPal and it's not always, it can be a fake. I had an order arrive that I wasn't happy with and I returned it and it was replaced. Still not happy I asked them to pay the return postage themselves which they refused to do. I went to PayPal for help but because it wasn't the original item they couldn't help. It seemed a bit odd to me when they encourage you to deal with the merchant first which is what I believed I had done.

Why show us American dollar bills? Why not Russian or Chinese bills or... well simply Aussie bills as NAB happens to be the National AUSTRALIA Bank, not the National America Bank. I am starting to wonder whether this site is being run by Americans.View attachment 21485
Hello @PHW! Thanks so much for the honest feedback. Rest assured, the image was considered mostly for the 'fraud' concept. It's also a bit difficult on our end (copyright, licences, etc.) to source stock images showing Aus currency for free use online. 🙏 That said, we completely understand where you're coming from and will take note moving forward!

View attachment 21153

How To Spot A Scam​

Key Takeaways

I recently received many requests to purchase a second-hand computer I had for sale on Marketplace. As soon as they asked for PayID I became suspicious having seen the scams. One said they would pay immediately and get someone to come around and pick up, we had quite a dialogue, but was asking questions that were already in the ad, which I found surprising. They did ask for PayID but I said I didn't have one and gave my BSB and account number then I didn't hear from them again. On all of them I checked their profiles, and all seemed to have a foreign profile - coincidence, perhaps, but I wasn't risking it. I asked for cash only in the end to sort out the chaff from the wheat.

Unfortunately we were scammed $2,000 by placing an ad on Gumtree for a car. Buyer who turned out to be fake, said he was in the outback and wanted to pay to our PayPal account as he couldn't get to a bank. We gave details but then he asked if we could pay the transport fee of delivery which he would refund to same account.
We received email confirmation from PayPal which turned out to be fake confirming they were holding the money.
When they asked for more for rego we became suspicious and took it to the Police who confirmed it was a very elaborate scam but we never got our money back.
We learned that now we need to eyeball them.
Be very wary. J & G
A similar thing almost happened to us years ago when scammers first started coming onto the scene. I had seen a car with very low Kms and a good price, but the downfall it was located in Tasmania. I talked to hubby saying we could make a holiday of it and go over and bring the car back if it was any good. The seller did not want us to come over, told us that they would handle everything from their end, all we had to do was pay for the ferry to bring the car over and then we could check out the car with no obligation. We backed out of this, it was highly dodgy.

My Motto is always check to see if you have received your money before handing over the goods. Otherwise only deal in cash sales.
I have bought and sold on gumtree and marketplace. They must come and collect and must pay cash. Never had any issues.

Reactions: Ezzy
Yes, I had this the other day on Marketplace, saying about a business account to use PayID. When I called their bluff theygave mea mouthful andthen pissed off. Couldn'tfind anywhereto report them.

Reactions: Ezzy
I don't like Marketplace or Gumtree and will stick with paying by PayPal (which can have problems as well) or direct deposit. I do buy a lot online and would rather go to Ebay, I try to buy new goods there at a reasonable price. There is also Ozsale.
Oh yes, there is a very similar PayPay scam. I was asked to upgrade my PayPal to commercial. They told me thats not necessary. So be careful!

Reactions: Liz and Ezzy