S

Sean Camara

Scammers are targeting online shoppers this Christmas - Here's how to protect yourself!

Christmas is just around the corner, so it's time to start thinking about presents for our loved ones.

And what better way to do your Christmas shopping than from the comfort of your own home? No need to battle the festive season crowds at the shops – just go online and find exactly what you're looking for (and maybe even snag a bargain or two in the process).

However, as much as we love online shopping, there is one big downside: scams. That's right, folks – as convenient as it may be, buying things on the internet also makes us very vulnerable to being ripped off by dishonest retailers and scammers.

According to Scamwatch, Australians have reported losing more than $14.8 million through online shopping scams this year alone. And with Black Friday and Cyber Monday on the horizon, those losses are expected to increase significantly. Yikes!

Microsoft ANZ's National Security Officer Mark Anderson warned consumers to be extra cautious when doing transactions online.

'Cyber criminals and scammers are always adjusting their techniques to take advantage of current affairs,' he said.

'They also align their scams to holiday periods and associated sales like Black Friday and Cyber Monday.'

The Australian Communication and Media Authority's new law has prevented more than 48 million text frauds since July, but Anderson is still concerned that the holiday season, especially during the Christmas festivities, could lead to the emergence of new scams.

He added: 'Scammers know we are all looking for those really good deals – especially when, for a lot of Australians, times are economically tough – and they’ll use that knowledge to try to trick us out of our money or data.'

pexels-photo-7111601.jpeg

Security experts caution that impending Christmas sales will provide con artists with a chance to prey on unsuspecting victims. Credit: Pexels/Tara Winstead.

It was also reported that the most prevalent scam in the last three months involves thieves impersonating Amazon staff to obtain sensitive information from victims.

Anderson expressed worry that the forthcoming holiday shopping season would see a huge uptick in this scam.

Along with the Amazon impersonation scam, there are several other popular online shopping frauds that include criminals pretending to be trustworthy sellers via false marketing and fake websites.

The cybersecurity expert advised: 'Never click on a link you weren’t expecting in an email or text message. The links can be used to direct shoppers to fake websites that look legitimate.'

'They will use these false sites to steal your money or passwords.'

So how can you protect yourself from becoming a victim of an online shopping scam? We've put together some top tips from cybersecurity experts to help you out:

1) Never click on a link in an email or text message that you weren't expecting – these links can often take you to fake websites set up by scammers. If you want to check if something is legitimate or not, go directly to the sender's official website instead of clicking on any links provided.

2) Be careful if an online deal seems too good to be true – it probably is! Do some research on pricing before making any purchase decisions, and always use secure methods of payment like credit cards or PayPal when buying things online (avoid methods like preloaded money cards or wire transfers).

3) Set up two-factor authentication whenever possible – this means that in addition to your username and password, you will also need another form of identification like a code sent via SMS or login through an app in order to access your account information. This extra layer of security makes it much harder for scammers

Key Takeaways

• Cyber criminals and scammers are always adjusting their techniques to take advantage of current affairs and holiday periods.
  • Australians have reported losing more than $14.8m through online shopping scams this year, according to Scamwatch.
  • Never click on a link you weren't expecting in an email or text message, as the links can be used to direct shoppers to fake websites.
  • Try to set up a two-factor or multi-factor authentication system to protect your personal information.
  • Updating your phone, laptop and tablet will authorise the latest security fixes to make it harder for scammers to steal your sensitive information.

Remember that if a deal seems ‘too good to be true’, it most likely is.

Be careful out there, folks!

I dislike buying on line (which I have done in the past) because I have been scammed a few times. I prefer to go to the shops , you can see the goods, try them on , decide if you want them pay by cash ( the old way) take them home. No problems sending back , postage charges, waiting for delivery etc…

Reactions: Ezzy
I use a debit card only when online shopping, load the card with $1 more than product you are buying,
Example $21 for $20 item, that way Scammers can only get $21 instead of use of all funds on your credit card account.
This way scammers only have debit account, which is NOT linked to any other account whatsoever.
A $21 loss is better than $2000 loss.
Since I started a debit account, I sleep better knowing I can shop with far less worry.

I only use reputable companies and only pay by PAYPAL over the the years with wrong product or lies by the seller I have always got my money back from paypal

I don't have a computer or the internet.
I have only a tiny amount of data on my phone.
I use the local Library computer when needed, so buying online certainly isn't an option for me. No security on a public computer.
I'm not even tempted.

I only buy from online companies that accept Afterpay for payment, that way I know they are reputable or Afterpay would not be associated with them