Scammers are targeting major stores — Here's how one woman learned the hard way

It’s a story that many can relate to: you’re browsing the internet when you see an ad that promises great deals.

While most would choose to ignore the ad, some might go out on a limb and click on it. After all, who in their right mind would turn down such a great deal?

But, as one savvy shopper recently found out, if it seems too good to be true, then it probably is.

Mother of two, Jo Murphy, was conned by fraudsters masquerading on Instagram as one of the nation’s most well-known fashion brands, Country Road.

‘It was two or three weeks before Christmas, and I saw a sponsored Country Road ad with these massive sales,’ Jo recalled.

Having her own online business, Jo thought she wouldn’t be the type to fall for the sketchy online scams that hit the headlines every now and then.

Sensing nothing amiss, she went ahead with a couple of purchases.

‘I bought a leather bag for just over $50 and a few other things,’ she said.

69895020_10156536657017335_4296252040977317888_n.jpg
This Aussie clothing retailer is the subject of a recent online shopping scam. Image Credit: Facebook/Country Road Australia

Jo shared that in return, she received an email receipt of the things she bought, which even sported the Country Road’s logo.

As you’ve probably guessed, Jo never received her items — and lost over $150 in the process.

It turns out, she’d been duped by a carefully crafted scam website, designed to replicate Country Road’s website design and customer experience.

Fortunately, Jo was able to recoup the money she lost, with the Commonwealth Bank refunding her money.

At the time of writing, Country Road has not commented on the matter.

However, there’s a message posted on its website warning against online scams using their brand.

‘Internet scams can illegally use the Country Road name and logo in an attempt to obtain personal information,’ it reads.

‘These schemes target people using a range of differing tactics such as fraudulent websites, fake emails, Facebook pages, text messages and/or websites offering the opportunity to win, or receive, gift cards, prizes, or false employment opportunities.’

‘Please note that the only time Country Road will ever contact you regarding a payment is when an existing order is flagged at risk or you request an exchange.’

‘At these times, you may receive an email to verify payment details or supply further identifying information. For this purpose, our Customer Service team will contact you directly from [email protected], which is the only verified email account for Country Road orders and payments.’

ezgif.com-gif-maker (9).png
Jo got nothing in return from her supposed Country Road shop. Stock Image Credit: Pexels/Anna Shvets

Country Road is not the only Australian retailer to fall victim to this type of scam, either.

Last week, another major retailer, Dotti, warned its ‘Dotti Squad’ that criminal websites were illegally using the Dotti name and logo to scam customers.

The team at My Business, a business information and customer service platform, have reported an increase in similar scams.

‘We often see fake websites offering competitive deals and Australians buy these products thinking they’re getting a bargain and buying from a reputable site,’ My Business Head of Product and Sales Phil Parisis said.

‘These cyber criminals are good at what they do — these websites are pretty convincing and often rank highly in Google.’

Consumers can keep themselves safe by not clicking on links sent by email and text message, and double-checking the domain name of websites for any misspelling.

Domain names are simply what you type in your browser’s address bar to reach a certain website. For example, Google’s domain name is ‘Google.com’.

ScamWatch also has a warning sign Aussies can watch out for in relation to online shopping scams.

‘The biggest tip-off that a retail website is a scam is the method of payment,’ they said.

‘Scammers will often ask you to pay using a money order, preloaded money card, or wire transfer, but if you send your money this way, it’s unlikely you will see it again or receive your purchased item.’

Aussies have lost $8.7 million to online shopping scams as of November 2022, with over 40 per cent of 16,209 reports posting financial losses.

pasted image 0.png
A quarter of online shopping scams in 2022 were delivered through the internet according to ScamWatch. Stock Image Credit: Pexels/Karolina Grabowska

With all the reports of scams floating around the internet, have you ever wondered why there’s always someone who ends up taking the bait?

There are numerous factors that contribute to shoppers falling victim to these scams, with the sheer amount of options available resulting in consumers becoming overwhelmed and thus more likely to overlook vital clues that might point to a scam.

The skill and creativity with which online criminals craft these false advertisements often gives people a false sense of security, with some people assuming they are dealing with a legitimate company.

Price is another factor that makes people more likely to purchase products from false advertisements. Often these promotions promise substantially lower prices than what would be found elsewhere in order to entice shoppers to make a purchase.

This can give the impression of getting an unbeatable deal, even though the product itself may not be genuine or may never arrive at all. Scammers also employ various forms of psychological manipulation to get shoppers to take their bait, such as offering limited amounts of products and limited-time discounts to make the deal appear exclusive and urgent.

Finally, another factor that increases the attractiveness of false advertisements is convenience. Shopping online is typically more convenient than shopping in physical stores and people have become accustomed to using online services to order their products.

Unfortunately, the more convenient nature of online shopping opens up more opportunities for shoppers to fall victim to these scams without even realising it.

With more people spending time online, it is up to both shoppers and businesses alike to be vigilant and cautious in order to protect themselves from being deceived by false advertisements.

Should you or anyone you know fall victim to a scam, report the incident as soon as possible to relevant authorities like ScamWatch and to your bank.

If you’ve given out any personal information, it would also be wise to change your access credentials such as your password to preempt any further damage that criminals might cause.

It’s important to be careful, everyone! Let Jo’s experience serve as a reminder to make sure you research any website you purchase from, and never click on any suspicious links.

So, what do you think of this story? Have you encountered similar scams?

Tell us your thoughts and experiences below!

Sponsored
I fell for the same place but they used the Mimco brand I ordered a bag and bracelet and received a hat. I emailed them they said they had none left and was offerin me 50% of my money back ,I have been emailing , threatening them and now they say the money has been put back into the account which it hasn’t. I think it is the same scammers as my neighbour the same thing happened to her but it was country road. I am always so careful but it looked like Mimco Australia and they don’t take PayPal which I always use bar this time . Lesson learnt.

I have had paypal stuff up payments. I do a lot of online shopping because I physically find it very difficult to get to shops. As I have said before, these mongrals should put their talents to better use.

Yes I have been scammed for about $120 on these so called bargain sites. Also have had an attempt made to scam me on a pair of new Shoes that I was selling on a local buy and sell site that were a little too tight on me. Person sent a screen shot of their bank transfer which they cancelled immediately. I told the woman I would post the shoes as soon as the money shows up on NetBank. Never heard from her again.

• Haha
Reactions: robbie's
Here are some Identity Thieving Scammers. Do Not under any circumstances use/interact with My Gov Support on Twitter. One of them has already disappeared . @myGovausp @myGovhelpau. I have spent most of 2 days contacting ServicesAustraliaReportScamsandIdentityTheft (1800941126)
ScamWatch.Gov.au (OnLine), ATO (1800 199010), IdentityCare (1800 595160) ReportCyber (1300292371) and of course my bank who have blocked my account until my phone and computer are checked for malware. If you have interacted with these scammers quickly change all your passwords and contact the above asap.

Attachments

• twitter handle of mygov scam.JPG
    twitter handle of mygov scam.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 0
  • blocked me.JPG
    blocked me.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 0
  • MYGOV AUS scam..JPG
    MYGOV AUS scam..JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 0
  • myGovau1.JPG
    myGovau1.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 0
It’s a story that many can relate to: you’re browsing the internet when you see an ad that promises great deals.

While most would choose to ignore the ad, some might go out on a limb and click on it. After all, who in their right mind would turn down such a great deal?

But, as one savvy shopper recently found out, if it seems too good to be true, then it probably is.

Mother of two, Jo Murphy, was conned by fraudsters masquerading on Instagram as one of the nation’s most well-known fashion brands, Country Road.

‘It was two or three weeks before Christmas, and I saw a sponsored Country Road ad with these massive sales,’ Jo recalled.

Having her own online business, Jo thought she wouldn’t be the type to fall for the sketchy online scams that hit the headlines every now and then.

View attachment 11508
This Aussie clothing retailer is the subject of a recent online shopping scam. Image Credit: Facebook/Country Road Australia

Jo shared that in return, she received an email receipt of the things she bought, which even sported the Country Road’s logo.

As you’ve probably guessed, Jo never received her items — and lost over $150 in the process.

It turns out, she’d been duped by a carefully crafted scam website, designed to replicate Country Road’s website design and customer experience.

Fortunately, Jo was able to recoup the money she lost, with the Commonwealth Bank refunding her money.

However, there’s a message posted on its website warning against online scams using their brand.

‘Internet scams can illegally use the Country Road name and logo in an attempt to obtain personal information,’ it reads.

‘These schemes target people using a range of differing tactics such as fraudulent websites, fake emails, Facebook pages, text messages and/or websites offering the opportunity to win, or receive, gift cards, prizes, or false employment opportunities.’

‘Please note that the only time Country Road will ever contact you regarding a payment is when an existing order is flagged at risk or you request an exchange.’

‘At these times, you may receive an email to verify payment details or supply further identifying information. For this purpose, our Customer Service team will contact you directly from [email protected], which is the only verified email account for Country Road orders and payments.’

View attachment 11507
Jo got nothing in return from her supposed Country Road shop. Stock Image Credit: Pexels/Anna Shvets

Country Road is not the only Australian retailer to fall victim to this type of scam, either.

Last week, another major retailer, Dotti, warned its ‘Dotti Squad’ that criminal websites were illegally using the Dotti name and logo to scam customers.

The team at My Business, a business information and customer service platform, have reported an increase in similar scams.

‘We often see fake websites offering competitive deals and Australians buy these products thinking they’re getting a bargain and buying from a reputable site,’ My Business Head of Product and Sales Phil Parisis said.

‘These cyber criminals are good at what they do — these websites are pretty convincing and often rank highly in Google.’

Consumers can keep themselves safe by not clicking on links sent by email and text message, and double-checking the domain name of websites for any misspelling.

Domain names are simply what you type in your browser’s address bar to reach a certain website. For example, Google’s domain name is ‘Google.com’.

ScamWatch also has a warning sign Aussies can watch out for in relation to online shopping scams.

‘The biggest tip-off that a retail website is a scam is the method of payment,’ they said.

‘Scammers will often ask you to pay using a money order, preloaded money card, or wire transfer, but if you send your money this way, it’s unlikely you will see it again or receive your purchased item.’

Aussies have lost $8.7 million to online shopping scams as of November 2022, with over 40 per cent of 16,209 reports posting financial losses.

View attachment 11509
A quarter of online shopping scams in 2022 were delivered through the internet according to ScamWatch. Stock Image Credit: Pexels/Karolina Grabowska

With all the reports of scams floating around the internet, have you ever wondered why there’s always someone who ends up taking the bait?

There are numerous factors that contribute to shoppers falling victim to these scams, with the sheer amount of options available resulting in consumers becoming overwhelmed and thus more likely to overlook vital clues that might point to a scam.

The skill and creativity with which online criminals craft these false advertisements often gives people a false sense of security, with some people assuming they are dealing with a legitimate company.

Price is another factor that makes people more likely to purchase products from false advertisements. Often these promotions promise substantially lower prices than what would be found elsewhere in order to entice shoppers to make a purchase.

This can give the impression of getting an unbeatable deal, even though the product itself may not be genuine or may never arrive at all. Scammers also employ various forms of psychological manipulation to get shoppers to take their bait, such as offering limited amounts of products and limited-time discounts to make the deal appear exclusive and urgent.

Finally, another factor that increases the attractiveness of false advertisements is convenience. Shopping online is typically more convenient than shopping in physical stores and people have become accustomed to using online services to order their products.

Unfortunately, the more convenient nature of online shopping opens up more opportunities for shoppers to fall victim to these scams without even realising it.

With more people spending time online, it is up to both shoppers and businesses alike to be vigilant and cautious in order to protect themselves from being deceived by false advertisements.

Should you or anyone you know fall victim to a scam, report the incident as soon as possible to relevant authorities like ScamWatch and to your bank.

If you’ve given out any personal information, it would also be wise to change your access credentials such as your password to preempt any further damage that criminals might cause.

It’s important to be careful, everyone! Let Jo’s experience serve as a reminder to make sure you research any website you purchase from, and never click on any suspicious links.

Husband nearly scammed with an add on Facebook for R M WILLIAMS goods at too good to believe prices. I noted the labels were not the same as the shirts he owned & told him it’s A scam. I thought he would never be the type to fall for scams, so have the rule we both check together if a sale is too good to be true It is probably a scam.

Aussies are notorious for being cheap, that's why we get all the sub standard products from China that no one else wants. All you need to scam someone is put a flashy banner ad saying 50% off and someone just has to bite.

Had a friends mum in her late 70s at the time, had a computer didn't really know how to use it but could never stop clicking on anything labelled "Free", was always getting virus' and losing data, mind she didn't have online banking etc so was safe there.

After the 100th time I asked why she keeps doing it knowing its a trap, she replied, can't help myself, I see free or bargain and I have to have.

Same woman would drive 10 klms to save 4 cents a litre on fuel
For some ppl bargain hunting is an obsession or a disease. Just look at the antics of some on Ozbargain

I fell for the same place but they used the Mimco brand I ordered a bag and bracelet and received a hat. I emailed them they said they had none left and was offerin me 50% of my money back ,I have been emailing , threatening them and now they say the money has been put back into the account which it hasn’t. I think it is the same scammers as my neighbour the same thing happened to her but it was country road. I am always so careful but it looked like Mimco Australia and they don’t take PayPal which I always use bar this time . Lesson learnt.
That happened to me also with Mimco. The following day I decided to check tracking and I couldn't access the site. It had shut down. I immediately contacted my credit card company with the site, details etc. Which they forwarded onto their fraud dept. It wasn't a large amount of money but I was concerned about any further deductions that might come off my card so we cancelled the card. The bank were great. I was refunded the cost, international fee and interest occurred within 2 weeks. Its very rare I purchase with cc as nearly always use PayPal. As they say, if its too good to be true, it normally is. I need to be more vigilant.

View attachment 11508

View attachment 11507

View attachment 11509

I also fell for the Country road scam, I only lost $50

View attachment 11508

View attachment 11507

View attachment 11509

There has also been one or R M Williams

A while back I saw a Facebook ad for a cat brush and wanted to buy one. I was suspicious, being a FB ad and also clearly from overseas. So I carefully read the ad and found the exact name of the brush, and Googled it. I found the same brush offered on Catch.com.au and I know them to be a reputable company. Cat brush ordered and received with no problems!

View attachment 11508

View attachment 11507

View attachment 11509

Easy shop in stores 😊

I did the same with Oroton I thought I purchased a handbag and a few other items, yes it was a bargin or so I thought. Luckly I paid with Paypal and got my money back but you don't get the shipping so they are making money on everyone even if you do get your money back just not quite all of it. If hey do that to enough people great little money maker or scam.

View attachment 11508

View attachment 11507

View attachment 11509

Yes I got caught with the country road scam ordered 3 items for the great grandchildren 2 tops and a dress nothing came for weeks then out of the blue a parcel from China with a beanie in it so exspensive beanie $59 so really weird why send anything.
🤨🤨😡😡😡

• Angry
I also prefer using PayPal and have been with them for years. They have definitely been of great assistance in the past.
But...., beware! I noticed (for the first time) a payment deducted for an Anti-virus Program ($119) 6 weeks ago, made through PayPal, that had not received my consent.
The money was refunded after approximately 4 weeks, when just one week later I received an email from PayPal, confirming a payment to be made for US$700 (approx AU$900).
PayPal confirmed it was a scam too.
Twice in 5 weeks, I had 2 scam incidents through Paypal for the first time since joining them approximately 5 years ago.
BEWARE EVERYONE... it constantly worsens - they're everywhere!!!!!!

I’ve had many attempted scams from seemingly reputable companies, especially regarding antivirus software - guess they know we really need it. However, when I have tried to report them (using a googled enquire to try and make sure I’m sending to the right place), I find that McAfee, Norton and others have removed the address, so my report comes back as undeliverable. Makes me wonder if they really care.

• Sad
Reactions: mOiOz
I bought some things from China about 120 dollars never got it, got in touch with the company many time answer after that and promise me a refund waited for three weeks still so tried to contact them no longer have a email address.