Scam alert: Cybercriminals target customers with new Australia Post email scam

In the digital age, where convenience often comes with a click, it's essential to stay vigilant against the darker side of technology—cybercrime.

Those who have embraced the internet for its ease of communication and services should be on high alert for a new scam masquerading as Australia Post.

In this scam, cybercriminals send emails impersonating Australia Post, claiming there's a problem with your parcel delivery.

They might say your package is being redirected for safekeeping or that you need to pay a redelivery fee to receive your parcel.

Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 7.49.02 AM.png
This Australia Post email scam lures customers to click the link and update details. Credit: Australia Post

One such email circulating online requests a 'nominal courier fee' of $4.98 for rescheduled delivery.

The email also prompts you to click on a link to resolve the supposed issue or to update your delivery address.

‘Australia Post will never call, SMS or email customers asking for personal or financial information including password, credit card details or account information,’ an Australian Post spokesperson said.

‘Be wary of emails that lure you into clicking on links to resolve delivery issues or pay delivery fees,’ Australia Post warned.

‘These links lead to fake Australia Post websites designed to steal your personal and financial information.’

It added that fraudulent SMS messages and emails are classic examples of 'phishing emails', where scammers use the name and logo of trusted brands to lure you into their net.

The emails and SMS messages often have tell-tale signs of fraud, such as poor grammar or design, but some can be quite convincing, referencing 'tracking a parcel' or 'collecting your prize' to seem legitimate.

‘We encourage anyone who sees a suspicious message appearing to be from Australia Post to report it immediately,’ the spokesperson said.

Queensland Police also urged anyone affected by a scam, whether through financial loss or otherwise, to file an official complaint.

And if you suspect you've been scammed, contact your bank immediately. They may advise you to cancel and reissue your credit or bank cards to prevent further unauthorised transactions.
Tip
You may also report the scam to Scamwatch here.

You can also head over to our Scam Watch forum to stay updated with the latest tricks scammers use to deceive people out of their money and sensitive details.
Key Takeaways
  • Australia Post customers have been warned of a new email scam where cybercriminals impersonate the postal service to steal personal and financial details.
  • Scammers are sending fake messages claiming package redirections or requesting a fee for redelivery, attempting to trick recipients into clicking on a link and providing sensitive information.
  • Australia Post has emphasised that it would never ask for personal or financial information, including passwords, credit card details, or account information via call, SMS, or email.
  • People are encouraged to report suspicious messages that appear to be from Australia Post and contact their bank if they believe they have been scammed.
Have you or someone you know encountered a scam like this? Share your experiences in the comments below.

• Sad
Reactions: Liz and PattiB
Sponsored
I have received quite a few emails and sms messages from the scam post office request. I just delete them with the number. I do report them before I delete them.

Reactions: Liz
Yes. Which is why automatically delete any invoice or communication coming from anyone I don't know. Send invoices through Australia Post's letter delivery service or they won't get paid.

Reactions: Nadia58
Old scam that's been around for years. Haven't got an email but I get at least 2 weekly txt msg with the same content. Report and delete.

Reactions: Wieso
Yes had loads of those, got rid of them straight away.

I have had the scam emails plenty of times then I think I didn’t have any parcels waiting delivery. So I do as you say delete them straight away.
Then there is another one about road tolls I live in a place where we don’t have road tolls that one gets deleted straight away too.
So be careful people just don’t open the email it’s not worth it.

I have had the scam emails plenty of times then I think I didn’t have any parcels waiting delivery. So I do as you say delete them straight away.
Then there is another one about road tolls I live in a place where we don’t have road tolls that one gets deleted straight away too.
So be careful people just don’t open the email it’s not worth it.
Yep I get those road toll ones too..as well as the post ones.

Yes get them all the time just double delete and block numbers if you can. Have been getting ones from Telstra now saying I owe an account when I don't and my points are going to expire. Just delete them as usual.