Say goodbye to your favourite shoe polish: Australians shocked as iconic Kiwi product is discontinued forever

Kiwi shoe polish has been a staple in Australian households for generations.

The distinctive little tin with the kiwi bird logo was a common sight in garages, shoe racks, and shoe-cleaning places across the country.

But now, after 117 years, the iconic shoe polish brand has quietly exited the market.

Founded in Australia in 1906 by William Ramsay—whose wife was a New Zealander—Kiwi Shoe Polish was an immediate success and was so popular that both the US and British army soldiers used it during the First World War.

Kiwi shoe polish was bought in around 180 countries, and it became the dominant shoe care brand worldwide.

Screenshot 2023-11-08 at 8.40.17 AM.png
The iconic Kiwi shoe polish is no longer in Australia and New Zealand. Credit: SC Johnson Australia

However, it ceased to be Australian-owned when it was bought by the Sara Lee company in 1984. But it was sold again to SC Johnson in 2011.

After more than a century, Kiwi has now disappeared from supermarket shelves in Australia and New Zealand.

In an email to one disappointed Australian Kiwi user, SC Johnson's marketing team said: 'We are sorry to share that Kiwi has been discontinued and is no longer available in Australia and New Zealand.’

The email sender said in response: ‘It’s a real shame’.

‘A classic Aussie brand that's been around for generations sold off to a foreign company and scrapped,’ the anonymous sender said.

Unfortunately, it seemed that the cut in Australia and New Zealand was inevitable, as Kiwi ceased selling products in the UK market in January.

David James, whose family shoe repair and cleaning firm has been in existence for over 100 years, remarked at the time, 'Kiwi leaving is a sign of the times.'

‘In part, this is because people wear suits and smart shoes much less,’ he added.

‘[COVID-19] accelerated that with more working from home, but a trend was in place before then. Also, trainers are being worn more and more—even to work.’

Screenshot 2023-11-08 at 8.38.44 AM.png
Email sender was disappointed after receiving this email from SC Johnson. Credit: Daily Mail Australia

According to a spokesperson of SC Johnson, the company had seen a drop in people using shoe polish due to the ‘rise in casual shoes that don’t require formal polishing’.

However, it would still sell Kiwi products in countries where formal shoe care ‘remains relevant’.

Zion Market Research’s study showed that the global shoe care market size was worth $10.1 billion in 2022 and is expected to rise to $23.2 billion in 2030.

In a similar story, one famed Aussie jeans brand experienced a financial downfall, with its collapse having a major economic impact. Learn more about the story here.

Key Takeaways
  • Kiwi shoe polish, an iconic Australian brand, has been discontinued after 117 years.
  • The brand was founded in Australia in 1906, was bought by Sara Lee in 1984, and then again by SC Johnson in 2011.
  • The company has cited a drop in people polishing their shoes and a rise in casual shoes that don't require formal polishing as contributing factors to the discontinuation.
  • The global shoe care market size is expected to more than double from $10.1 billion in 2022 to $23.2 billion by 2030.

Members, what do you think about Kiwi shoe polish being discontinued? Have you used Kiwi in any of your shoes? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Such a shame. I grew up using kiwi shoe polish as all school shoes back then were leather and expected to be kept polished. I still have a tin of black that I use to touch up my black leather work shoes when required, but I rarely polish them completely so it has lasted. Must remember to keep the tin to add to my “once upon a time” collection.

The distinctive little tin with the kiwi bird logo was a common sight in garages, shoe racks, and shoe-cleaning places across the country.

But now, after 117 years, the iconic shoe polish brand has quietly exited the market.

Founded in Australia in 1906 by William Ramsay—whose wife was a New Zealander—Kiwi Shoe Polish was an immediate success and was so popular that both the US and British army soldiers used it during the First World War.

Kiwi shoe polish was bought in around 180 countries, and it became the dominant shoe care brand worldwide.

View attachment 34153
The iconic Kiwi shoe polish is no longer in Australia and New Zealand. Credit: SC Johnson Australia

However, it ceased to be Australian-owned when it was bought by the Sara Lee company in 1984. But it was sold again to SC Johnson in 2011.

After more than a century, Kiwi has now disappeared from supermarket shelves in Australia and New Zealand.

In an email to one disappointed Australian Kiwi user, SC Johnson's marketing team said: 'We are sorry to share that Kiwi has been discontinued and is no longer available in Australia and New Zealand.’

‘A classic Aussie brand that's been around for generations sold off to a foreign company and scrapped,’ the anonymous sender said.

Unfortunately, it seemed that the cut in Australia and New Zealand was inevitable, as Kiwi ceased selling products in the UK market in January.

David James, whose family shoe repair and cleaning firm has been in existence for over 100 years, remarked at the time, 'Kiwi leaving is a sign of the times.'

‘In part, this is because people wear suits and smart shoes much less,’ he added.

‘[COVID-19] accelerated that with more working from home, but a trend was in place before then. Also, trainers are being worn more and more—even to work.’

View attachment 34154
Email sender was disappointed after receiving this email from SC Johnson. Credit: Daily Mail Australia

According to a spokesperson of SC Johnson, the company had seen a drop in people using shoe polish due to the ‘rise in casual shoes that don’t require formal polishing’.

However, it would still sell Kiwi products in countries where formal shoe care ‘remains relevant’.

Zion Market Research’s study showed that the global shoe care market size was worth $10.1 billion in 2022 and is expected to rise to $23.2 billion in 2030.

In a similar story, one famed Aussie jeans brand experienced a financial downfall, with its collapse having a major economic impact. Learn more about the story here.

Key Takeaways

• Kiwi shoe polish, an iconic Australian brand, has been discontinued after 117 years.
  • The brand was founded in Australia in 1906, was bought by Sara Lee in 1984, and then again by SC Johnson in 2011.
  • The company has cited a drop in people polishing their shoes and a rise in casual shoes that don't require formal polishing as contributing factors to the discontinuation.
  • The global shoe care market size is expected to more than double from $10.1 billion in 2022 to $23.2 billion by 2030.

Members, what do you think about Kiwi shoe polish being discontinued? Have you used Kiwi in any of your shoes? Let us know in the comments below!
I use over 9 different Kiwi products on my shoe collection. Depending what type or material the shoe is made from. I'm lucky that I still have enough product to last me another 10 years (fingers crossed).

View attachment 34153

View attachment 34154

Key Takeaways

Oh wow, so sad. Remember polishing my school shoes with Kiwi polish. Dad repaired shoes for us and would use it. I can smell the polish, now.

View attachment 34153

View attachment 34154

Key Takeaways

Oh wow, l remember polishing my shoes, with Kiwi shoe polish. Always in our home. One thing that was drilled into us kids, was polish your shoes. "Dad always said you can tell a man by his shoes." I can smell the polish, now.

I lived in the UK for the first 38 years of my life (I’m now 69 ) and used Kiwi polish rather than ‘Cherry Blossom’, which was the next popular brand. I have a good supply of Kiwi black, dark tan , light tan and ox blood polish to probably see me through the rest of my life, because I’m probably typical of most polish users and only use polish when I go to a posh do.
I can’t turn out without a good shine on my shoes , it’s inbred since school days when you’d get your ears boxed for having anything but pristine indoor shoes.
It’s a shame that Kiwi polish has gone from our supermarket shelves, but I guess it’s a sign of the times as most people wear trainers or sneakers or other shoes which don’t need polishing.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be

More corporate bastardry. Find a popular brand/item, buy the product and shut it down so that they push their own inferior product.

• Sad
Reactions: Davmes
I still wear dress shoes when I go to the doctor's or other appointments. I have always worn good shoes and when I was in the Defence Force polished shoes were a must. I always used Kiwi Shoe Polish as it is the best for leather shoes.

Reactions: Ezzy and RoseMHR
I always used KIWI but I can understand that not many people in Australia ever wear dress shoes anymore

Reactions: Wandiwa

View attachment 34153

View attachment 34154

Key Takeaways

I am thinking that the discontinuation of shoe polish is a generation thing, most of us in the forum would have used shoe polish at sometime, I know that my husband still does and it is not just to shine his boots it is to help with making them water proof, he cleans his work boots and then applies a liberal coating of polish leaving it overnight before using a cloth to polish the boots before work the next morning. His coworkers often ask him how he keeps his boots so shiny and clean and any one of them younger than lets say 50 years old are confused when he tells them that he uses boot polish , some even asking what it is. I know that he will be disappointed when I tell him that boot polish will be harder to find now. I am not too sure what can be used as a substitute

View attachment 34153

View attachment 34154

Key Takeaways

Is it going too be replaced by anything else? This was the best polish to use. I for one, do not wear trainers as when I was at school I remember our teachers telling us they are bad for the feet if worn all the time because they do not support the feet and can also make them sweat!!

Reactions: Ezzy
Sunday nights were for shoe polishing, getting them shiny for school. The little things we took pride in, growing up. Sad to see this Brand discontinued here. It certainly is the sign of the times.
Today they don't care about shine. I think many of today's generation don't bother with the clean or polish. Nowadays the shoes look after themselves until it's time to buy another pair.

Reactions: Suzanne rose