Say goodbye to the iconic diet coke: McDonald's drops the classic item from its menus

It’s the end of an era, folks.

McDonald’s has announced that it is ‘permanently’ removing Diet Coke from its menus across the country this month.

Diet Coke will no longer be available in McDonald's restaurants across Australia. Once the existing stock is sold out, customers will have to adjust to a Diet Coke-less McDonald’s – unless they’re a fan of normal Coke or Coke No Sugar, of course.

‘At McDonald’s, we are committed to providing great-tasting, great-value food and drinks our customers know and love,’ a spokesperson for the fast-food giant said.

diet.jpg
Customers were ‘distraught’ once they learned about the announcement. Credit: Ron Lach/Pexels

McDonald's has claimed that the decision was made in response to customer feedback, indicating that more customers are increasingly interested in the chain selling other low-to-no sugar beverages instead of Diet.

‘We regularly review and evolve our menu to meet changing consumer tastes and preferences,’ the spokesperson added.

McDonald’s will no longer offer Diet Coca-Cola across Australian restaurants from 11 January 2023.

The fast-food chain will continue to offer a ‘range of beverage choices’ in their branches, including Coca-Cola No Sugar, Sprite Zero Sugar, and Frozen Coke No Sugar.

This move angered some loyal customers who said they were devastated by the announcement.

‘Nooo! I hate the taste of Coke and Coke No Sugar. I love Diet Coke. I don’t eat Macca’s that often but definitely losing a customer here,’ shared one person.

cola1.jpg
The 24-pack cans of Diet Coke costs $20.70 at Woolies. Credit: Woolworths

Someone else added that they can’t drink the No Sugar varieties without getting ‘severe’ gastric problems. ‘Diet Coke is one of the few soft drinks I can safely drink!’ They explained.

Others, on the other hand, brushed off the announcement. ‘It’s literally the same thing as Coke Zero/No Sugar. Who cares,’ stated one.

The removal of Diet Coke comes just two months after Macca’s scrapped the original Sprite from their menus and instead offered the ‘no sugar’ version to customers.

Many like to substitute Diet or No Sugar varieties to original soft drink formulas, but is there much of a difference?

Low- to no-sugar beverages are thought to have many health benefits such as reduced energy intake and improved dental health, as well as reduced risk of chronic illnesses, such as type 2 diabetes.

However, it is important to be aware that low- to no-sugar beverages can still impact our health negatively. Many low- to no-sugar soft drinks still contain artificial sweeteners and other potentially unhealthy additives, such as aspartame, acesulfame potassium, and sucralose.

These sweeteners can lead to a range of potential health concerns such as headaches, digestive problems, and allergic reactions. Long-term studies point to other risks like weight gain or disrupted metabolic conditions.

Therefore, regular consumers of these drinks should remain mindful of the ingredients label and how their body responds to them, in order to remain aware of any potential long-term health implications.

Health experts recommend consuming diet soft drinks in moderation and opting for natural, healthier alternatives such as freshly made juices or water.

Key Takeaways

• McDonald's is permanently removing Diet Coke from its menus in Australia from 11 January 2023.
  • Customers are disappointed with this news, and many have expressed their opinions online.
  • McDonald's is switching to Coke No Sugar instead, as well as Sprite Zero Sugar and Frozen Coke No Sugar.
What do you think, members? Do you think everyone is making a big fuss over a soft drink or is it just what happens when a well-liked product is taken away? Let us know in the comments below!

• Angry
Reactions: BJM and Ricci
Sponsored

McDonald’s has announced that it is ‘permanently’ removing Diet Coke from its menus across the country this month.

Diet Coke will no longer be available in McDonald's restaurants across Australia. Once the existing stock is sold out, customers will have to adjust to a Diet Coke-less McDonald’s – unless they’re a fan of normal Coke or Coke No Sugar, of course.

‘At McDonald’s, we are committed to providing great-tasting, great-value food and drinks our customers know and love,’ a spokesperson for the fast-food giant said.

View attachment 11392
Customers were ‘distraught’ once they learned about the announcement. Credit: Ron Lach/Pexels

McDonald's has claimed that the decision was made in response to customer feedback, indicating that more customers are increasingly interested in the chain selling other low-to-no sugar beverages instead of Diet.

‘We regularly review and evolve our menu to meet changing consumer tastes and preferences,’ the spokesperson added.

McDonald’s will no longer offer Diet Coca-Cola across Australian restaurants from 11 January 2023.

The fast-food chain will continue to offer a ‘range of beverage choices’ in their branches, including Coca-Cola No Sugar, Sprite Zero Sugar, and Frozen Coke No Sugar.

This move angered some loyal customers who said they were devastated by the announcement.

‘Nooo! I hate the taste of Coke and Coke No Sugar. I love Diet Coke. I don’t eat Macca’s that often but definitely losing a customer here,’ shared one person.

View attachment 11391

Someone else added that they can’t drink the No Sugar varieties without getting ‘severe’ gastric problems. ‘Diet Coke is one of the few soft drinks I can safely drink!’ They explained.

Others, on the other hand, brushed off the announcement. ‘It’s literally the same thing as Coke Zero/No Sugar. Who cares,’ stated one.

The removal of Diet Coke comes just two months after Macca’s scrapped the original Sprite from their menus and instead offered the ‘no sugar’ version to customers.

Many like to substitute Diet or No Sugar varieties to original soft drink formulas, but is there much of a difference?

Low- to no-sugar beverages are thought to have many health benefits such as reduced energy intake and improved dental health, as well as reduced risk of chronic illnesses, such as type 2 diabetes.

However, it is important to be aware that low- to no-sugar beverages can still impact our health negatively. Many low- to no-sugar soft drinks still contain artificial sweeteners and other potentially unhealthy additives, such as aspartame, acesulfame potassium, and sucralose.

These sweeteners can lead to a range of potential health concerns such as headaches, digestive problems, and allergic reactions. Long-term studies point to other risks like weight gain or disrupted metabolic conditions.

Therefore, regular consumers of these drinks should remain mindful of the ingredients label and how their body responds to them, in order to remain aware of any potential long-term health implications.

Health experts recommend consuming diet soft drinks in moderation and opting for natural, healthier alternatives such as freshly made juices or water.

Key Takeaways

• McDonald's is permanently removing Diet Coke from its menus in Australia from 11 January 2023.
  • Customers are disappointed with this news, and many have expressed their opinions online.
  • McDonald's is switching to Coke No Sugar instead, as well as Sprite Zero Sugar and Frozen Coke No Sugar.
What do you think, members? Do you think everyone is making a big fuss over a soft drink or is it just what happens when a well-liked product is taken away? Let us know in the comments below!
I enjoy straight Coke for years, "Diet Coke", to my taste and my opinion since it first came on the scene, is :Diet Coke" tastes like a "flat oppositions Cola".. I do not understand the fuss about Mcdonal's removing Diet Coke. However ,I suppose we have to accept that some people may like Diet Coke, just as much as we enjoy proper Coke Cola .!!!!!

I enjoy straight Coke for years, "Diet Coke", to my taste and my opinion since it first came on the scene, is :Diet Coke" tastes like a "flat oppositions Cola".. I do not understand the fuss about Mcdonal's removing Diet Coke. However ,I suppose we have to accept that some people may like Diet Coke, just as much as we enjoy proper Coke Cola .!!!!!
Everything in moderation. Sugar is poison!

View attachment 11392

View attachment 11391

Key Takeaways

I am a type 1 diabetic and have not deliberately eaten sugared foods for 60 years. The key word is moderation - I have used saccarine, sucaryl, aspartame, sugarine, splenda, xylotol etc. and I am fine, fit and healthy. I intend to leave my body to research as I would be a good guinea pig to see whether artificial sweeteners do have a bad effect on the human body.

View attachment 11392

View attachment 11391

Key Takeaways

When you see what it does to stainless steel?

just another thing that the large corporate Greedy take away foods shops do, trying to make you think they are looking after you, forget the food that is full of preseveratives, I bypass theses company and support the little business which supply a larger heather options of food, which freshly made and cooked and I can have what every drink I want.