Say goodbye to coins – Coles is trialling a new app that lets you shop without them!

Has anyone here seen people pushing their shopping trolleys out of the supermarket and abandoning them elsewhere? Because we certainly have!

And I bet you're wondering what they're doing with the trolleys – do they do a joyride down the road? Are they trying to organise a bumper trolley game? We can't help but ask why.

da831d0e37f8f1826f6f6bd3d7c577bf.jpeg
Coles is trialling a new app. Source: news.com.au

One thing we’re sure everyone will agree with – we don't want trolleys rolling around by themselves. Especially because they can so easily damage your car or worse, hurt us too. So if you're also annoyed by abandoned trolleys along the roads, then this news could leave you jumping for joy!

Now, as you all know, you can shop cash-free nowadays, and even ‘service-free’ if you opt for a self-service checkout for your groceries. However, now the ‘cash-free’ method isn't only applicable to groceries but ALSO TO YOUR TROLLEYS!

Coles is now trialling a new app that lets you shop without any coins! How does this work, you ask? You can now unlock a trolley by scanning a QR code using your smartphone. You can find the QR code on a sticker on the trolley handle. Once you're done shopping, you can return the trolley by scanning the code again.

You just need to download the ‘Coles sMart Shop’ app from your Google Play or Apple store. It will ask for your card details as you'll need to purchase a $2 digital coin to unlock a trolley. That will serve as your deposit and will be refunded to you right away once the trolley is returned and locked. Amazing, eh?

And if all this sounds a little too complicated or intimidating, the good news is that you can reach out to any of their team members to arrange a trolley for your shopping without the need to scan!

We hope this will bring extra convenience to Coles customers and somehow makes roads safer as abandoned trolleys will be less of a concern while driving! What do you think of this new innovation? Let us know in the comment section below! We’d love to see Aldi implement this technology too, wouldn’t you?

Sponsored
Personally going shopping seems to be getting more complicated by the day. I think I'll continue to do online shopping - no trolley required!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

This is a load of b/st how about you idiots return the trollies if the first place, I'm not allowing that sort of access to my phone you have no idea what data they are collecting with all these apps. Ill stumble around the store with an arm full of stuff, because apparently you cannot place the items in your own carry bag as you are attempting to steal.

Personally going shopping seems to be getting more complicated by the day. I think I'll continue to do online shopping - no trolley required!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
We tried once only, because they delivered our goods in 7 plastic bags when we could do it all in 3. And that's an added expense I don't need.

We tried once only, because they delivered our goods in 7 plastic bags when we could do it all in 3. And that's an added expense I don't need.
I don't pay for delivery or bags and the bags they do use I return to the store with the driver of my next delivery.:)

Geez we must be streets ahead in Cairns (for a change). No coin trolleys. The Coles trolley will only work within a small perimeter of the shopping centre ie carpark, taxi rank then the wheels lock.

God give me strength, when will there be an App for going to the toilet!!! :mad:
Why does this modern age think that everybody owns a mobile phone and with that, has the internet connected to it also!

Apps collect data from your phone, they know all that you do because well, you do absolutely everything with you phone these days, not this little chicky, I like my privacy!!!

And Grumpypa, I agree with you!!

The Coles and Woolworths stores I use don’t have the sorts of trolleys you need a coin to use, thank goodness! That’s why I hate shopping at Aldi.

Reactions: Ricci
I have my own hessian bags I have had for a long time and I go to the shops myself and do my own shopping, I need the exercise, I get better food for a better price and it is nice and cool and I find if you have enough money to waste on delivery if it's not free you have too much or are just lazy, and I am a disabled elderly person so don't throw that at me either.

Say goodbye to coins – Coles is trialling a new app that lets you shop without them!

Has anyone here seen people pushing their shopping trolleys out of the supermarket and abandoning them elsewhere? Because we certainly have!

And I bet you're wondering what they're doing with the trolleys – do they do a joyride down the road? Are they trying to organise a bumper trolley game? We can't help but ask why.

View attachment 3492

One thing we’re sure everyone will agree with – we don't want trolleys rolling around by themselves. Especially because they can so easily damage your car or worse, hurt us too. So if you're also annoyed by abandoned trolleys along the roads, then this news could leave you jumping for joy!

Now, as you all know, you can shop cash-free nowadays, and even ‘service-free’ if you opt for a self-service checkout for your groceries. However, now the ‘cash-free’ method isn't only applicable to groceries but ALSO TO YOUR TROLLEYS!

Coles is now trialling a new app that lets you shop without any coins! How does this work, you ask? You can now unlock a trolley by scanning a QR code using your smartphone. You can find the QR code on a sticker on the trolley handle. Once you're done shopping, you can return the trolley by scanning the code again.

You just need to download the ‘Coles sMart Shop’ app from your Google Play or Apple store. It will ask for your card details as you'll need to purchase a $2 digital coin to unlock a trolley. That will serve as your deposit and will be refunded to you right away once the trolley is returned and locked. Amazing, eh?

And if all this sounds a little too complicated or intimidating, the good news is that you can reach out to any of their team members to arrange a trolley for your shopping without the need to scan!

We hope this will bring extra convenience to Coles customers and somehow makes roads safer as abandoned trolleys will be less of a concern while driving! What do you think of this new innovation? Let us know in the comment section below! We’d love to see Aldi implement this technology too, wouldn’t you?
there is the opening of security by such an ap, https://tinyurl.com/mryaeah9 is an link to a full article on the coles trolley ap

I have my own hessian bags I have had for a long time and I go to the shops myself and do my own shopping, I need the exercise, I get better food for a better price and it is nice and cool and I find if you have enough money to waste on delivery if it's not free you have too much or are just lazy, and I am a disabled elderly person so don't throw that at me either.
I too am a disabled pensioner, it all depends on your disability. It is physically impossible for me to walk far enough to go up and down the aisles. On a good day it is possible for me to walk 50m with difficulty, on a bad day it's as much as I can do to walk from my bedroom to the lounge room, sit and rest then from lounge to kitchen, a total of less than 20m. I envy you being able to do your own shopping.:(

Don't people read all of the article or don't understand it, it says that you can ask a team member and they will arange a trolley for you without having to scan, and I think it is a great idea as there are so many lazy sods who leave their trollys where their cars were parked....

Don't have the app ones and don't want them or the coin ones, did have at one local Coles that had the wheel lock ones which I had no problem with unless I found one (which happened more often than I would like to say) and could not use it because it had not been unlocked which could only be done by the people that collected the trolleys and involved a remote for them to do so.

View attachment 3492

The only supermarket I know of with trolley coins is Aldi.

View attachment 3492

The only place I know of with trolly tokens or coins is Aldi and I just keep my token on my keyring, no problem, this sounds like a lot of fluffing around to me. One of my local supermarkets trolleys wheels lock up if you try and take it out of the car park and make it impossible to push'

Am I the only disabled pensioner who has noticed that most grocery stores have their trolley bays at the opposite end of the car parking spots for disabled people?

Reactions: Julia TH and Ricci