Savoury mince

Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 2.39.06 PM.png
Credits: Taste
Savoury mince is a dish that is very popular in New Zealand. It is made with minced beef, onions, carrots, tomato paste puree and more, making it a flavourful dish. It is usually served with mashed potatoes and steamed vegetables. If you're looking for a delicious and hearty meal, this is the dish for you!

Ingredients:

500g beef mince

1 tbsp olive oil

1 onion, finely chopped

2 tbsp instant beef gravy powder

1 cup tomato puree

400g red potatoes, peeled, diced

300g carrots, peeled, diced

200g button mushrooms, quartered

1 cup frozen peas and corn mixture steamed

Steamed white rice to serve

Instructions:

1. In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, cook the onion and beef mince in the olive oil for 6 to 8 minutes or until browned.

2. Stir in the beef gravy powder, tomato puree, and 1 cup of cold water. Stir to combine.

3. Add the potatoes and carrots. Stir to combine. Cover with a lid and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

4. Add the mushrooms and peas and corn mixture—Cook for a further 5 minutes or until heated through.

5. Serve with steamed white rice.

To make this dish extra special, try serving it with freshly chopped parsley or rosemary. You could also try adding some grated cheddar cheese on top of the mashed potatoes.

Savoury mince is a delicious and hearty meal perfect for any night of the week. Try this dish and enjoy its delicious flavours. Let us know how you liked it in the comments below!

Sponsored
One of my first memories in Australia was in 1971 at the Dundas migrant hostel when savoury mince on toast was served for breakfast. Coming from England I had never seen or heard of this before and the idea of mince for breakfast was, to me, really strange.
I love mince and potatoes in a cottage pie or "mince and tatties" but have still never got my head around having it on toast for brekkie. 🇬🇧💖🇦🇺

Reactions: Zoya, RTS and Ricci