Save Money Without Sacrificing Taste: Discover Why Cheaper Peanut Butter Wins in Australian Taste Test!

When it comes to pantry staples, peanut butter is a beloved spread that finds its way into many Australian homes, offering a delicious blend of taste and nutrition. Whether you're a fan of smooth or crunchy, the debate over the best peanut butter can be as divisive as the classic Vegemite versus Marmite argument. But what if I told you that, according to a recent taste test, you might be better off reaching for the more wallet-friendly options on the supermarket shelf?

In a surprising twist, a taste test conducted with a group of friends revealed that when it comes to peanut butter, cheaper brands often trump their pricier counterparts in both flavour and texture. This revelation is particularly relevant for our savvy Seniors Discount Club members, who appreciate the value of a dollar and the joy of a tasty treat.

The taste test involved 13 supermarket peanut butter brands, all crunchy varieties, as the texture of crunchy peanut butter is believed to be more telling of a brand's quality than its smooth version. The peanut butters were sampled both straight from the jar and on toast, with the majority of reviewers opting for plain white supermarket bread to maintain consistency.

shutterstock_2467675901.jpg
What's the best peanut butter for you? Credit: Shutterstock

The results were clear: more expensive peanut butters often fell short, with higher price tags correlating with drier textures and less flavour. This is a stark reminder that a higher cost does not always guarantee a superior product. In fact, some of the cheaper brands packed a punch with just the right balance of saltiness, sweetness, and that all-important peanutty flavour.

The best overall winner was Skippy Super Chunk Peanut Butter, which scored a 9/10 for its perfect blend of salt, sweet, and savoury notes, along with a delightfully spreadable texture. It's the kind of peanut butter that demands your attention and delivers pure enjoyment, much like a spectacular Super Bowl half-time show.

For the best value, Bramwells Crunchy Peanut Butter from Aldi took the crown with an 8/10 score. It was described as a little firmer, akin to playdough, but perfectly suited for hot toast, where it softens to the ideal consistency. This is a peanut butter that starts off just right and doesn't end up dripping onto your arms or lap – a common mishap with overly soft spreads.

For those who prefer their peanut butter without added sweeteners, Mayver's 100% Australian Crunchy Peanut Butter and Mayver's Dark Roasted Peanut Butter Crunchy both scored 7.5/10. They were praised for their strong nutty flavour and good balance of salt, despite a looser texture that might be challenging to manage in warmer weather.

The taste test also highlighted that some of the more expensive 'natural' peanut butters, which boast minimal ingredients, often lacked the seasoning and roasting depth that can elevate peanut butter from good to great. It's a reminder that simplicity in ingredients doesn't always translate to the best taste experience.

So, dear members, next time you're strolling down the supermarket aisle, remember that when it comes to peanut butter, you don't have to shell out big bucks for a delicious spread. The taste test has spoken: cheaper can indeed be better. And with the money saved, you can treat yourself to an extra jar or perhaps another favourite treat.

Key Takeaways
  • Australian supermarket peanut butter taste test reveals cheaper brands often offer better value and taste.
  • Skippy Super Chunk Peanut Butter was ranked as the best overall for its full flavour and spreadable texture.
  • Bramwells Crunchy Peanut Butter from Aldi won best value, providing a good balance of taste and affordability.
  • Mayver's 100% Australian Crunchy Peanut Butter and Mayver's Dark Roasted Peanut Butter Crunchy both tied for best unsweetened peanut butter.

We'd love to hear from you! What's your go-to peanut butter brand, and have you found that price influences taste? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below. After all, the best recommendations often come from our own community of seasoned taste testers.

Sponsored
Be whatever it is, I also like the Sanitarium no salt & sugar added variety. We cant buy where we are now, as both Woolies & Coles don't stock it any more, "Bummer". I do know that Bega has the variety as well.

It's a "Killer" with either strawberry, plum, or apricot jam, &, or, honey splurged on top, on a thick fresh crunchy crust or toast. I "Luv" it.

I have it in moderation. Don't want to damage the heart too much.

Hey "Penny4", Weet-bix spread with butter & honey is great as well.

Be whatever it is, I also like the Sanitarium no salt & sugar added variety. We cant buy where we are now, as both Woolies & Coles don't stock it any more, "Bummer". I do know that Bega has the variety as well.

It's a "Killer" with either strawberry, plum, or apricot jam, &, or, honey splurged on top, on a thick fresh crunchy crust or toast. I "Luv" it.

I have it in moderation. Don't want to damage the heart too much.

Hey "Penny4", Weet-bix spread with butter & honey is great as well.
I also can't find Sanitarium peanut butter when I recently finished it. I've found out that the company have ceased making it.

• Wow
Reactions: natalielocket
Some taste more oily than others. Apart from supermarkets that have their own bakery in-store their bread is made by a major manufacturer. I know Tip Top make /made some of them